Star Wars Discussion

Jmerc

Well Ren was rather injured and its clear that he is isn't an expert just yet. You could see his anger issues blinding him a bit so I had no problem with Rey besting him.

Put it this way. Chewie's bow caster had been sending people flying 30ft throughout the movie. Kylo took one hit and managed to stay on his feet, you think you would be at your best after that?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, capital lol at people complaining about Rey besting Ren. Didn't Luke hold his own on Bespin until Vader started using the Force? I'd say people have a valid complaint if Rey was able to best Ren who used the Force to hurl objects at her.

Not really. Vader looked to be holding back (he is his Father after all and also wanted to bring him over to the dark side) and Luke was still struggling to cope. Before he used the gas from the pipe, Luke was getting his ass kicked. Besides, even if we did say that he held his own, it's not as if we'd be claiming he bested Vader at all. Rey totally whooped Ren and made him her bitch. Also bare in mind that Luke faced Vader in the second film and by that point he had been training with Yoda and Obi Wan before facing Vader. Rey had none of that and that was the first time she'd used a lightsaber (well... since she was a kid at least, depending on how they explain it in the next film). Totally different scenarios imo.

It'd be like Luke being given the lightsaber by Obi Wan in A New Hope and then immediately facing Vader and leaving him in the state he did in Return of the Jedi. If I had anything I disliked about the film, it'd be that.

I think he was holding back, but even then he was impressed by what Luke had done. Luke didn't seem to be at a complete loss until Vader started hurling objects. I never thought he bested Vader though, but he wasn't so outmatched. They are different scenarios, so I don't understand why people are mad at Rey beating Ren and saying even Luke never managed to beat Vader, especially when Ren took damage.

Seems I recalled completely wrong. Vader was 100% playing with Luke, he only used one hand at the start, but after Luke got his lightsaber back, it was more even to the point that Vader got pushed off. Still, did Luke submerse himself fully to the Force as Rey did? And I was right, Luke started to get overwhelmed once Vader started using the Force to hurl objects at Luke, something Ren didn't do.

*currently watching Episode V now*

I would prefer if Rey was just a random girl who is strong with the force. Guys like Yoda, Windu, Qui-Gon weren't from any special family and were all strong so why not Rey? That is what I would prefer.

Same here. Anakin was someone Qui-Gon bump into that happened to be gifted.

I would prefer if Rey was just a random girl who is strong with the force. Guys like Yoda, Windu, Qui-Gon weren't from any special family and were all strong so why not Rey? That is what I would prefer.

But Anakin was birthed by a virgin mother, and it was heavily implied that Palpatine and/or Plagueis willed him into existence with their evil power, or some shit. Making Anakin into Space Jesus. You know, probably the dumbest thing the prequels ever did.

Also, I 100% agree that Rey should just be a random person not related to anybody. For a whole universe, the Star Wars universe is pretty damn small with everybody that's related to eachother/knows eachother already.

But Anakin was birthed by a virgin mother, and it was heavily implied that Palpatine and/or Plagueis willed him into existence with their evil power, or some shit. Making Anakin into Space Jesus. You know, probably the dumbest thing the prequels ever did.

Also, I 100% agree that Rey should just be a random person not related to anybody. For a whole universe, the Star Wars universe is pretty damn small with everybody that's related to eachother/knows eachother already.

I think that the fact I've chosen to forget a lot of the decisions made in the prequels has made me actually forget. "Midichlorians? Never heard of them."

I wouldn't mind at all if Rey wasn't related to anyone. It's not like she needed to be related to the Skywalkers to see the history and future when she touched the lightsaber or show the kind of power she did. There could be plenty of sensitive-to-Force people with even more potential than Luke or Anakin.

I just hope she has actual parents and isn't another version of Anakin though. It's not like parents need to be sensitive to Force for their offspring to be sensitive as well.

I think that the fact I've chosen to forget a lot of the decisions made in the prequels has made me actually forget. "Midichlorians? Never heard of them."

I read somewhere that Lucas had the idea for midichlorians as far back as the originals. I wonder if there is any truth in that?

I wouldn't mind at all if Rey wasn't related to anyone. It's not like she needed to be related to the Skywalkers to see the history and future when she touched the lightsaber or show the kind of power she did. There could be plenty of sensitive-to-Force people with even more potential than Luke or Anakin.

I just hope she has actual parents and isn't another version of Anakin though. It's not like parents need to be sensitive to Force for their offspring to be sensitive as well.

You and me both... no doubt about it.

I always thought the line in episode one where Shmi mentions that there wasn't a father to Anakin implied that she got raped or something as a slave. Never occurred to me that Anakin could of been jedi jesus

I always thought the line in episode one where Shmi mentions that there wasn't a father to Anakin implied that she got raped or something as a slave. Never occurred to me that Anakin could of been jedi jesus

Same. Thats actually only a thing I've seen said recently.

I wish the movie shed more like on the new Republic. I heard that they had to cut some out, but I was interested in some of the politics. Perhaps the novel will provide more information.

Same. I would've liked more insight into the political climate. I was a bit perplexed by the amount of power the First Order has under the New Republic. For example, how were they able to assemble such an army and create all these ships and weaponry under their eye? Or more importantly,

how the heck did the Republic/Resistance not know these bastards converted an entire planet into a superweapon?! Is it simply because they're located in the outer rim away from the Republic's control and power?

how the heck did the Republic/Resistance not know these bastards converted an entire planet into a superweapon?! Is it simply because they're located in the outer rim away from the Republic's control and power?

Yeah, that would be my guess as well...

I wish the movie shed more like on the new Republic. I heard that they had to cut some out, but I was interested in some of the politics. Perhaps the novel will provide more information.

Same. I would've liked more insight into the political climate. I was a bit perplexed by the amount of power the First Order has under the New Republic. For example, how were they able to assemble such an army and create all these ships and weaponry under their eye? Or more importantly,

Yeah I think that's probably right. How did they build Starkiller Base in 30 years? Seems a bit implausible, but I think thats where you just have to suspend your disbelief. Saying that, again, it's probably that they don't have much power in the Outer Rim.

Possible that technology evolved that allowed the base to be built quicker and quicker. They could have also found ways to speed up the process.

I find it more weird that blasters can kill stormtroopers who wear armors, but Leia survived getting shot in the arm.

Possible that technology evolved that allowed the base to be built quicker and quicker. They could have also found ways to speed up the process.

I find it more weird that blasters can kill stormtroopers who wear armors, but Leia survived getting shot in the arm.

Suspend your disbelief abit. Thats all. It's annoying I know, but it also just a movie.

I read somewhere that Lucas had the idea for midichlorians as far back as the originals. I wonder if there is any truth in that?

I read the same and it's probably true. He wanted it to be "science" fiction (like he wanted Jar Jar there because they're "movies for kids that adults happen to like"), but the concept of the force didn't need to be elaborated, it was self explanatory. It's easy to see why it's actually become a religion considering it's easily relatable to all cultures.

George always bullshits about just how much he had in his mind from the start. I'm basically 300% midichlorians were not thought up from the start. It's just his go to defense when people don't like something he does. "Oh no, I actually thought of that when everybody loved me". He said the same thing about Greedo shooting first.

George always bullshits about just how much he had in his mind from the start. I'm basically 300% midichlorians were not thought up from the start. It's just his go to defense when people don't like something he does. "Oh no, I actually thought of that when everybody loved me". He said the same thing about Greedo shooting first.

Nah I think he mentioned it in an interview in the 80s.

Archived