Star Wars Discussion

Jmerc

With his accomplishments, wiping out Luke's new generation of Jedi and destroying the New Republic, it makes him just about up there with a ruthless villain like Vader

The thing is, even with the spoiler above, it's his anger issues and obsession with Vader's work that holds him back for me. Plus, he is not yet complete as a villain, so I hope the next films establish him as a top villain, because as of now, for me, he's pretty vulnerable.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With his accomplishments, wiping out Luke's new generation of Jedi and destroying the New Republic, it makes him just about up there with a ruthless villain like Vader

The thing is, even with the spoiler above, it's his anger issues and obsession with Vader's work that holds him back for me. Plus, he is not yet complete as a villain, so I hope the next films establish him as a top villain, because as of now, for me, he's pretty vulnerable.

He's meant to be vulnerable and unsure of himself. As you saw in the movie, he still had a bit of humanity left in him until he offs his pa. Once he did that, he shed the last bit of good within him and now the dark side totally has him. After he receives some further training from Snoke, he'll likely become as malicious and cold as all the other baddies before him.

Kylo being an angsty, young adult with a weird obsession for his grandfather makes him all the more better. Honestly, so far, maybe aside from The Emporer, he's the most evil villain yet.

I loved his creep factor

Also if Rey is Rey Skywalker I'm gonna flip. Rey Kenobi pls.

I questioned that, but Rey could just as easily be Ben's granddaughter or even his relative. Plus, didn't Ben have a lover that was killed? I don't know much about that, but if it's been going on for years, she could have given birth to Rey's parent. What's interestin though is that Rey's parents left her. I don't remember if it was mentioned why in the movie.

But with the level of power Rey showed in the Force, I wouldn't be shocked if she was Luke's daughter. I wouldn't mind a Mara Jade, though people would probably say she's more like a female Han Solo.

He's meant to be vulnerable and unsure of himself. As you saw in the movie, he still had a bit of humanity left in him until he offs his pa. Once he did that, he shed the last bit of good within him and now the dark side totally has him. After he receives some further training from Snoke, he'll likely become as malicious and cold as all the other baddies before him.

I'm willing to bet you that Ren will in someway be redeemed given the theme, and his heritage. Anakin went to the dark side but came back to the light side and balanced the Force. Luke came close to the dark side more than once and I think even went dark once against Vader and Palpatine, but eventually he went back to and stayed good.

I liked the movie, though I had few problems with it, like Finn's personality. Humor felt a bit forced. I still wished they did the trilogy on Thrawn trilogy, that was some of the best novels to come out of EU. Not saying so much given the quality and how the writers tend to use famous lines from the movies over and over.

I would love to see him do horrific stuff that trumps even Vader, but the downside could be that one might think they're killing off characters for the lulz of it.

I wonder if Luke is gonna die though. I wouldn't be shocked, given he's old and isn't the main character anymore. If they killed off one of the most iconic characters, they could certainly kill off another one. The thing is though, Luke is probably the most important piece in restarting the new Jedi Order, but then he could just as easily teach and train Rey and let her do it. Would be cool to see Luke duel, especially with the technology nowadays.

I would love to see him do horrific stuff that trumps even Vader, but the downside could be that one might think they're killing off characters for the lulz of it.

I wonder if Luke is gonna die though. I wouldn't be shocked, given he's old and isn't the main character anymore. If they killed off one of the most iconic characters, they could certainly kill off another one. The thing is though, Luke is probably the most important piece in restarting the new Jedi Order, but then he could just as easily teach and train Rey and let her do it. Would be cool to see Luke duel, especially with the technology nowadays.

Sure hope they don't kill him off because it'll be a rehash of Obi-Wan. It didn't bother me as much as did others for this movie but man, if they continue doing this -- reusing old material -- then I'm going to be disappointed with this trilogy.

Granted, if the story calls for and it feels right, then whatever. But as of right now, I'm not too keen on that idea.

All of my friends think Luke will die. I hope that isn't the case. Of course, he is old but it'll just be the same thing that happened with Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. He will have his time to become one with the Force, but he should not die now. Especially with the mystery surrounding Rey's background and how she is Force sensitive and the continuation of where she found Luke.

Sure hope they don't kill him off because it'll be a rehash of Obi-Wan. It didn't bother me as much as did others for this movie but man, if they continue doing this -- reusing old material -- then I'm going to be disappointed with this trilogy.

Granted, if the story calls for and it feels right, then whatever. But as of right now, I'm not too keen on that idea.

At the least, I hope his death is meaningful, but I don't think he should die anyway. I wouldn't mind seeing him go against Ren's master, actually. Would make sense that the most powerful Jedi go up against the current Sith master while Ren and Rey fight. Finn can fight Ren's rival, even. I just hope they don't also try to copy the original by having Ren sacrifice himself to beat his master.

Ren killing his mom would be so *censored*ed up to see, and it'd hint at his irreversible path because he willingly killed his own parents to master the dark side of the Force.

All of my friends think Luke will die. I hope that isn't the case. Of course, he is old but it'll just be the same thing that happened with Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. He will have his time to become one with the Force, but he should not die now. Especially with the mystery surrounding Rey's background and how she is Force sensitive and the continuation of where she found Luke.

My theory is that he could be killed in midst of Rey's training or after he thinks she's done.If he does train her, it'll be interesting to see how he goes about it, especially given his failure with his nephew.

There is plenty of evidence and logical explanations as to why Old Ben could be A relation. The Clone Wars TV show is considered canon and Obi Wan had a love story on that show. So it is not impossible.

There is plenty of evidence and logical explanations as to why Old Ben could be A relation. The Clone Wars TV show is considered canon and Obi Wan had a love story on that show. So it is not impossible.

With someone who dies. Canon or not, there's no material suggesting Obi Wan has any children, or grandchildren. It would be such a cop-out and so ass to reveal Rey as a descendant of Obi.

With someone who dies. Canon or not, there's no material suggesting Obi Wan has any children, or grandchildren. It would be such a cop-out and so ass to reveal Rey as a descendant of Obi.

Why would it? Its great imagery. A Skywalker mentoring a Kenobi? I'd say thats a damn cool idea if they did that. I'm not saying you have to like it dude, I quite like the idea myself, but there is some logic behind it.

I'm neither for nor against Rey being a Kenobi/Skywalker/Jinn/relative of another character, but is there a reason that she has to be? Like surely she can just be another person who's just good with the force like Anakin and all the other non-related Jedi were once upon a time?

I'm neither for nor against Rey being a Kenobi/Skywalker/Jinn/relative of another character, but is there a reason that she has to be? Like surely she can just be another person who's just good with the force like Anakin and all the other non-related Jedi were once upon a time?

She doesn't have to be, but you know they're going to do that.

She doesn't have to be, but you know they're going to do that.

Oh yeah I'm fully expecting them to. Just wasn't sure if I'd missed something along the way that means that has to be the case or if she can turn out to be a random who can use the force still.

I would prefer if Rey was just a random girl who is strong with the force. Guys like Yoda, Windu, Qui-Gon weren't from any special family and were all strong so why not Rey? That is what I would prefer.

To be fair, Anakin was apparently as good with the Force because he was created by Palpatine.

I honestly would love a story where in an alternate universe, Anakin doesn't go to the dark side, and Luke and Leia are born. But then, it probably requires reworking of Anakin's character because part of what seduced him was his ego. The curiosity is strong though, because while Luke is supposed to represent Anakin's potential if he didn't become half machine, we never got to see Luke's potential in the movies, and Anakin probably showed far more than he did.

Also, capital lol at people complaining about Rey besting Ren. Didn't Luke hold his own on Bespin until Vader started using the Force? I'd say people have a valid complaint if Rey was able to best Ren who used the Force to hurl objects at her.

Also, capital lol at people complaining about Rey besting Ren. Didn't Luke hold his own on Bespin until Vader started using the Force? I'd say people have a valid complaint if Rey was able to best Ren who used the Force to hurl objects at her.

Not really. Vader looked to be holding back (he is his Father after all and also wanted to bring him over to the dark side) and Luke was still struggling to cope. Before he used the gas from the pipe, Luke was getting his ass kicked. Besides, even if we did say that he held his own, it's not as if we'd be claiming he bested Vader at all. Rey totally whooped Ren and made him her bitch. Also bare in mind that Luke faced Vader in the second film and by that point he had been training with Yoda and Obi Wan before facing Vader. Rey had none of that and that was the first time she'd used a lightsaber (well... since she was a kid at least, depending on how they explain it in the next film). Totally different scenarios imo.

It'd be like Luke being given the lightsaber by Obi Wan in A New Hope and then immediately facing Vader and leaving him in the state he did in Return of the Jedi. If I had anything I disliked about the film, it'd be that.

Archived