Star Wars Discussion

Jmerc

Went to see The Force Awakens again, and this kid behind me just would not shut up throughout the whole thing. Made me want to sterilize the whole human race. Though there was one funny bit where (major movie spoilers ahead)

Han was on the bridge with Kylo Ren, the theater was all quiet, and I just hear the kid say "This is where he kills him". I had to stop myself from just busting out laughing

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday, my friend was telling me about how the prequels are actually pretty good. He also talked about how he didn't like Luke Skywalker as much as he liked Anakin and the actors portrayal of him. He also didn't mind the 100% CGI sets one bit and thought they made it look better and more futuristic. Also didn't find the "NOOOoooOOOO" scene nearly as hilarious and stupid as I did.

I had no idea how to respond. Thought he was messing with me.

does he like Jar Jar?
Neither of us brought it up. I'm sure he doesn't. There's nothing redeemable about Jar Jar Binks.

He's a fking Sith Lord

Loved it, a lot. I'd rank it above Return of The Jedi but behind the original and Empire. It was very similar to A New Hope, but different enough to stand out on its own. I felt like some of the dialogue was a bit cheesy, I guess that was the idea, but I was just abit 'eye-rolley'.

The characters were cool. Rey reminder me a lot of Keira Knightley, but younger and better. Finn was a good way to lead the movie. Kylo Ren was awesome under the mask. I feel like they should've saved the unmasking for his showdown with Han on the bridge. Also Han died :( I figured it was going to happen, but I was reluctant to accept it right up until the moment.

Overall I loved it. It was a very brave movie to do and considering the pressure it had, I believe they nailed it.

Can we all agree besides BB-8 the best character in the film was

kHfVXWH.gif

Yeah that guy was cool haha. Put more soul into one line than Hayden Christianson (however you spell it) did in three movies.

One of my favourite things about the movie were the two stormtroopers who actually hit someone in the beginning scene. Considering the meme is that they never hit anything so I just thought that was quite funny.

Who the old dude at the beginning? I hope we hear more about him.

Loved it, a lot. I'd rank it above Return of The Jedi but behind the original and Empire. It was very similar to A New Hope, but different enough to stand out on its own. I felt like some of the dialogue was a bit cheesy, I guess that was the idea, but I was just abit 'eye-rolley'.

The characters were cool. Rey reminder me a lot of Keira Knightley, but younger and better. Finn was a good way to lead the movie. Kylo Ren was awesome under the mask. I feel like they should've saved the unmasking for his showdown with Han on the bridge. Also Han died :( I figured it was going to happen, but I was reluctant to accept it right up until the moment.

Overall I loved it. It was a very brave movie to do and considering the pressure it had, I believe they nailed it.

Yeah. I saw it coming when he was talking to Kylo. That didn't stop me from trying to convince myself it wasn't going to happen. Even went so far as to think, "Well, it's been a long a time since the events of Return of the Jedi. Maybe their medical technology has improved to the point that Han's wound won't be fatal." Then he fell off the bridge.

Also appreciated the nice symbolism going on in that scene. Whenever Rey and Finn open the door which lets a ray of light shine in as Han is trying to reason with his son. Then the sun finally dies out and the room goes dark right before Kylo kills Han.

The best moment of the film was...

9YPEijI.gif

Thumbs up, bruh.

My friend and I started cracking up when that happened.

kHfVXWH.gif

Yeah that guy was cool haha. Put more soul into one line than Hayden Christianson (however you spell it) did in three movies.

One of my favourite things about the movie were the two stormtroopers who actually hit someone in the beginning scene. Considering the meme is that they never hit anything so I just thought that was quite funny.

You referring to Max von Sydow's character? He's a village elder who has some connection with Luke. I agree, I want to see more of him in the next movie through a flashback or something. I was disappointed that was it for Sydow... I was hoping he had a larger role when they announced him.

kHfVXWH.gif

You referring to Max von Sydow's character? He's a village elder who has some connection with Luke. I agree, I want to see more of him in the next movie through a flashback or something. I was disappointed that was it for Sydow... I was hoping he had a larger role when they announced him.

Yeah that guy. I figured he was someone semi-important atleast. Who knows.

To be honest, I wish that I had seen spoilers. It's a pretty lackluster movie, and from the trailers, I knew it would be. For all the flack that the prequels get, at least they felt like Star Wars. This felt like a fan film remake to me. No feeling of "that was awesome!" No Star Wars "magic". Way too formulaic. Even the musical score was less noticeable. It was like watching the Robocop remake, and that's not flattering.

Things I did like:

Daisy Ridley is cute as a button, John Boyega is a great actor, good to see the old characters again, Chewie's rampage, a few old EU elements although rearranged such as Ben Solo and the Jedi academy, the red herring of Finn being the Jedi--As a wrestling fan, I thought it was a great and well executed swerve. I heard Billy Dee Williams might be in VIII, so I've gotta see that.

kHfVXWH.gif

To be fair, as far as I recall Christianson (or whatever his name is) was specifically told to act as wooden as possible. Apparently Lucas doesn't understand that there's a difference between subtlety and monotone.

Yeah a lot of the issues with the prequel where do to Lucas. But no one wants to blame. In the Original trilogy he had a lot people who could tell him no, in the prequels it was all him. (Plus a lot of the actors had complaints about him). The guy who played darth maul had all but one line cut from a phantom menace etc.

kHfVXWH.gif

To be fair, as far as I recall Christianson (or whatever his name is) was specifically told to act as wooden as possible. Apparently Lucas doesn't understand that there's a difference between subtlety and monotone.

Oh I know, I was just making a joke.

kHfVXWH.gif

Oh I know, I was just making a joke.

Good to know. Sorry, just a lot of people don't actually know that, and I hate seeing the poor guy get hate for something that was Lucas's fault. :cool:

I liked Hayden Christensen's Anakin in Revenge Of The Sith, more than I liked Luke in all the films.

I actually agree with WarGreymon a lot on this. It really did feel like a fan film. I felt like they were trying really hard to make these characters culture icons, in the same way that Darth Vader, Luke & Han Solo were during the 80's and onward. So instead of selling lunchboxes of Darth Vader & Luke Skywalker. Disney can make infinite amounts of money on Kylo Ren & Rey cell phone covers. It just felt like with all the characters they were trying too hard to make them the successors of the previous characters. Instead of letting them be liked or disliked naturally. Like it's quite obvious they made Kylo Ren wear a mask and have that funny voice just so people would be like "cool the new Darth Vader!"...And then they unmasked him and it was like "oh cool , hes just like Anakin".The whole movie just didnt seem original enough or took its own risks to make things work. I think the movie was okay, but it could've been a whole lot better than it was.

Kylo being an angsty, young adult with a weird obsession for his grandfather makes him all the more better. Honestly, so far, maybe aside from The Emporer, he's the most evil villain yet.

I loved his creep factor

Also if Rey is Rey Skywalker I'm gonna flip. Rey Kenobi pls.

Where does Kylo Ren rank on peoples top villains list? For me it goes;

Vader

Kylo Ren

Boba Fett

Darth Maul

General Grevious

The Emperor

Count Dooku

Jabba The Hutt

Jango Fett

Not counting anyone new such as Phasma in my list.

I see Kylo as a weak/vulnerable villain right now. He will probably get better with improvement as this trilogy goes on, but I thought he was pretty weak at first. He is a decent character, imo, but his obsession with Vader's legacy holds it back for me because it sort of holds him in his shadow, to the least.

I see Kylo as a weak/vulnerable villain right now. He will probably get better with improvement as this trilogy goes on, but I thought he was pretty weak at first. He is a decent character, imo, but his obsession with Vader's legacy holds it back for me because it sort of holds him in his shadow, to the least.

Thats kinda the point though. Vader was very clinical and seemingly methodical, but Ren is just obsessed with nothing, but the evil in Vader and all he accomplished and uses his own past experiences and obvious anger issues to further that.

Archived