Star Wars Discussion

Jmerc

I liked it. There's never been a Star Wars movie like this before. So fast paced and never lets up. It takes a lot of imagery from the original trilogy but it's almost nothing like them in the way its paced or shot. Also it's the funniest Star Wars film which was really surprising.

Poe and Finn are great characters. Hux is great cause he's a character with all the power of Tarkin, but with an added intensity that comes with his youth. Kylo Ren a more interesting villain too. I'd almost consider him the fourth main character even if he's the film's antagonist.

Overall, I wasn't dissapointed. Probably would rank it higher than Revenge of the Sith, but lower than Return of the Jedi. I'd consider the original trilogy as adventure movies. This is the first Star Wars action movie. Kinda wish JJ would direct the other two cause I'd feel much more secure with the next two movies if JJ was directing again.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that did bug me was with Captain Phasma. Like holy shit we have a CHROME STORMTROOPER WEARING A CAPE WITH A GOLDEN GUN and they didn't do anything with her. I'm just wondering if it was an in-joke on how Star Wars movies always give the shaft to the coolest looking characters like Boba Fett and Darth Maul and stuff.

One thing that did bug me was with Captain Phasma. Like holy shit we have a CHROME STORMTROOPER WEARING A CAPE WITH A GOLDEN GUN and they didn't do anything with her. I'm just wondering if it was an in-joke on how Star Wars movies always give the shaft to the coolest looking characters like Boba Fett and Darth Maul and stuff.

Apparently shes in the next film so hopefully she do more in future

Rey can't be Han Solo's daughter because we saw the sacrifice he made for his son. There's no way he died without reveling himself to her as such and telling her he loved her. She will not be Luke's daughter, it was WAY too obvious. People are forgetting that this was the series that gave us "I am your father." I think they'll be a twist of some sort. Plus, we already have a descendant of the Skywalker linage we don't need two, so I hope she isn't.

I felt the fact we had the Luke (Ren - son)/Vader (Solo - father) moment end with Ren not only refusing to turn away from the Dark Side, but actually falling further into it was like them saying "this one won't be like the Return of the Jedi. This will be different a saga." The movie had a lot a throwback moments and wasn't shy in pointing them all out so blatantly. I think they did that to throw us off using our nostalgia against us. Making us feel like we've seen this before will make us think we'll know the outcome.

Back to Rey: I think she must have been one of Luke's students, it's the only explanation. The interrogation scene is what must have (as the titles suggests) awakened the Force inside of her from her training. It must have been like a Jason Bourne scenario. I refuse to believe that simply because she was "Luke's daughter" she can fly the Falcon (which she herself stated she's never done), use a lightsaber and use the Force so easily. Everything she could do in ONE movie took Luke the WHOLE TRILOGY to learn. She would still need some sort of training to learn how to control it, even if it did come naturally to her.

The New Order:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
  2. A New Hope
  3. Return of the Jedi
  4. The Force Awakens
  5. Revenge of the Sith
  6. Attack of the Clones
  7. The Phantom Menace

When Han died, I couldn't move. I blacked out for a moment and my heart began to skip a few beats. It killed me.

Dude, that moment was wrecked for me before I watched the movie. It wasn't even in a Star Wars related comment section, I was so pissed off! It was like before Half-blood Prince came out and "Dumbledore dies!" was everywhere, but "Han Solo dies!" It still didn't hit me til I saw Rey sat next to Chewy in the Falcon, though. That's when I was like "Oh, shit. This is really happening, isn't it? He's dead."

When Han died, I couldn't move. I blacked out for a moment and my heart began to skip a few beats. It killed me.

I can't imagine how people hadn't guessed it would happen before seeing it, though. I think it was pretty obvious that the evil guy in the new flicks would be a child of one of the old mains, and kill off their parent. Makes sense it's Han, because seeing Luke as a dad would be weird, cause he never had a real love interest or a character than centered around anything other than "being the good guy". Han is also arguably a more popular character than Luke. Luke dying would be a "Oh, like Obi Wan, he's okay with that because of the force and his role in the universe" scenario. Wouldn't carry nearly as much weight as the relateable rogue that is Han. It's an obvious way to make the audience give two shits about the drama, and to make them wanna see the bad guy get his comeuppance. Also, Star Wars has always been about father/son mechanics, both actual father son and there's the whole teacher/apprentice thing. Saw it coming a mile away.

I can't imagine how people hadn't guessed it would happen before seeing it, though. I think it was pretty obvious that the evil guy in the new flicks would be a child of one of the old mains, and kill off their parent. Makes sense it's Han, because seeing Luke as a dad would be weird, cause he never had a real love interest or a character than centered around anything other than "being the good guy". Han is also arguably a more popular character than Luke. Luke dying would be a "Oh, like Obi Wan, he's okay with that because of the force and his role in the universe" scenario. Wouldn't carry nearly as much weight as the relateable rogue that is Han. It's an obvious way to make the audience give two shits about the drama, and to make them wanna see the bad guy get his comeuppance. Also, Star Wars has always been about father/son mechanics, both actual father son and there's the whole teacher/apprentice thing. Saw it coming a mile away.

Well, there's that AND Harrison Ford's always been all "Just kill me off, you bastards!"

It was a decent enough movie I guess, but something feels missing. It just didn't quite have the Star Wars feel to me. My rankings...

1. Return of the Jedi

2. Revenge of the Sith

3. A New Hope

4. The Empire Strikes Back

5. The Force Awakens (at best)

6. The Phantom Menace

7. Attack of the Clones

Well, there's that AND Harrison Ford's always been all "Just kill me off, you bastards!"

Yeah it probably was Harrison Ford's idea.

Archived