Star Wars Discussion

Jmerc

Maybe they're just super into the prequel lore and are upset that a trooper isn't a Jango Fett clone

But the stormtroopers never were clones. I mean few were, but for the most part Storm troopers were recruits from all over the galaxy. That's why they don't all have that shitty accent in the original trilogy.

Is that true? I thought they were just all Jango Fett clones. I like the idea that there are a few clones left. What happened to most of them? Did they all get killed?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe they're just super into the prequel lore and are upset that a trooper isn't a Jango Fett clone

But the stormtroopers never were clones. I mean few were, but for the most part Storm troopers were recruits from all over the galaxy. That's why they don't all have that shitty accent in the original trilogy.
Is that true? I thought they were just all Jango Fett clones. I like the idea that there are a few clones left. What happened to most of them? Did they all get killed?

Yeah, I believe that Vader's 501st legion of troops were all originally clones or something. I think they just quit cloning after the clone wars or something. I don't know the full explanation I just know Stormtroopers aren't clones for the most part.

I think people are pissed because stormtroopers belong to the dark side and a black actor plays one. I don't know, maybe they don't want black actors to play villains or some shit like that. Either way, it makes no sense whatsoever and the whole thing's insanely retarded.

Anyway, back to the new lightsaber:

Immediately, speculation began about the possible wisdom or stupidity of this design. Here at The Verge, we fell roughly into two camps. On one side, there are those who say this is terrible design. Their argument is as follows:

1. You're going to chop your hand off.
  2. It doesn’t even protect you, because the laser-hilt isn’t flush with the blade, so if a lightsaber slides down you'll just get a cut hand and a broken lightsaber.

To which the other side responded:

1. It solves a big lightsaber design problem, which is blades sliding down and cutting your hand off.
  2. Bonus: You can jab opponents with the laser hilt.

The big question, in my opinion, is whether lightsaber blades can even slide. I don’t recall a time in the original three movies when blades slid. Opponents would cross blades, which seemed to stick together and make that crackling sound, and then push apart again. I assumed there was some sort of electrical force that locked blades together when they touch.

But Russell Brandom points out that there seems to be case of sliding here at 1:08 in the Anakin / Obi Wan / Yoda / Count Dooku fight, and that a crossguard could’ve helped. I'm not so sure.

The best explanation I’ve heard comes from the commenter squiz, who points out that the crossbar beams look unfocused and that maybe this guy is an old Sith "reawakened," and that he has an early model lightsaber. This seems plausible! But then the question is: did people realize the crossbar makes no sense? Did lightsabers get stickier at some point, making the crossbar useless? Is the crossbar a good idea or a dumb one?

See, if we knew absolutely that the black stormtrooper was a part of the 501st, THEN I could kind of see why people would be mad, but really, its just a bunch of assholes bitching for the sake of bitching.

A New Hope takes place 19 years after Revenge of the Sith, which is the end of the Clone Wars. Return of the Jedi takes places four years after a New Hope. Force Awakens is confimed to take place exactly 30 years after Return of the Jedi. So this movie takes place precisely 53 years after the Clone Wars.

I've always felt that Obi Wan aged pretty horribly in that 19 year span.

A New Hope takes place 19 years after Revenge of the Sith, which is the end of the Clone Wars. Return of the Jedi takes places four years after a New Hope. Force Awakens is confimed to take place exactly 30 years after Return of the Jedi. So this movie takes place precisely 53 years after the Clone Wars.

I've always felt that Obi Wan aged pretty horribly in that 19 year span.

If it was only 19 years after then, yeah, Obi Wan did age pretty rapidly lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently the little rolling ball robot (BB-8) is an actual machine...not a special effect:

"And when they were demonstrating how they did this thing, live on set — because it’s not CGI, that’s a live prop — I was just amazed. They let me play around with it. [Laughs] I was running it all around at the creature shop up in Pinewood. I’m telling you, it’s an absolute delight. And not having thought that I’d ever go back there, to go back into that world, is just – I get the chills. It’s just so much fun." -Mark Hamill

Apparently the little rolling ball robot (BB-8) is an actual machine...not a special effect:

"And when they were demonstrating how they did this thing, live on set because its not CGI, thats a live prop I was just amazed. They let me play around with it. [Laughs] I was running it all around at the creature shop up in Pinewood. Im telling you, its an absolute delight. And not having thought that Id ever go back there, to go back into that world, is just I get the chills. Its just so much fun." -Mark Hamill

Quotes like that makes me proud to be an actor

• 3 months later...

Archived