Universe Is Finally How It Should Have Always Been!

Jealous

You have grossly overhyped universe. It's not like that AT ALL.

You must first "unlock" a story. You can't just select a story right off the bat.

The stories are all 1 month stories.

There are only a handful of scenes that we've seen before. "Tag partner leaving angry" is the scene, which is generic and works with a variety of situations. Not "tag partner leaves because the winning party is hogging all the spotlight". That was the story you put into your head based on framing and an anchoring effect beforehand because you picked a certain Face/Face spotlight story.

Actual Example:

Tried to book Taker vs the Royal Rumble winner (a CAW) in advance of the terrible autobook.

Autobooked Taker vs Dean Ambrose, didn't ask like in 2K14.

Taker is supposed to "reveal himself and challenge the face for an opportunity of a lifetime" so says the storyline.

Match 1: Dean Ambrose vs Adrian Neville - Won as Amrbose

Cutscene: Taker is shown celebrating like he beat Ambrose. pointing to Ambrose, who looks dejected on the arena floor. Taker is also somehow the WWE Champion (Sami Zayn is Champion at this point)

Match 2: Taker vs Adrian Neville - Won as Neville

Cutscene: Dean Ambrose (face) comes out to watch.

Forced a confrontation between Taker and Ambrose. Ambrose casually attacks Taker once.

Cutscene: Neville celebrates without incident. (I guess I wasn't supposed to win)

Match 3: Taker vs Adrian Neville vs Dean Ambrose - Won as Neville

Cutscene: Neville celebrates without incident (I guess I wasn't supposed to win)

Match 4: Dean Ambrose vs Adrian Neville - Won as Ambrose

Cutscene: Taker chokeslams Ambrose. does the throat slit taunt.

Wrestlemania: Taker vs Dean Ambrose - Won as Ambrose

Repeat Cutscene from Week 1. Ambrose is now somehow the WWE Champion (Sami Zayn retained earlier in the night)

As per usual, universe is incredibly inflexible and intolerant if you don't play the story how it wants you to. It's sad that universe was perfected before. WWE12 would logically change to have the winners moving onto feuds with other winners etc.

Whomever thinks the new selectable storylines improve universe are just lying to themselves. It's just as bad as before, now they just make it even more evident who is feud and what they are feuding about so even if the story doesn't play out how the computer wants, the player will fill in the details themselves.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually there are longer stories, but you got to unlock them. They range from short to long, so you just match it up with rivalry length. I agree that it's still limited, but it's a start and much of the story comes from the News section adding meaning to the cutscenes.

You must first "unlock" a story. You can't just select a story right off the bat.

There are only a handful of scenes that we've seen before. "Tag partner leaving angry" is the scene, which is generic and works with a variety of situations. Not "tag partner leaves because the winning party is hogging all the spotlight". That was the story you put into your head based on framing and an anchoring effect beforehand because you picked a certain Face/Face spotlight story.

Actual Example:

Tried to book Taker vs the Royal Rumble winner (a CAW) in advance of the terrible autobook.

Taker is supposed to "reveal himself and challenge the face for an opportunity of a lifetime" so says the storyline.

Cutscene: Taker is shown celebrating like he beat Ambrose. pointing to Ambrose, who looks dejected on the arena floor. Taker is also somehow the WWE Champion (Sami Zayn is Champion at this point)

Forced a confrontation between Taker and Ambrose. Ambrose casually attacks Taker once.

Cutscene: Neville celebrates without incident. (I guess I wasn't supposed to win)

Cutscene: Neville celebrates without incident (I guess I wasn't supposed to win)

Repeat Cutscene from Week 1. Ambrose is now somehow the WWE Champion (Sami Zayn retained earlier in the night)

As per usual, universe is incredibly inflexible and intolerant if you don't play the story how it wants you to. It's sad that universe was perfected before. WWE12 would logically change to have the winners moving onto feuds with other winners etc.

Whomever thinks the new selectable storylines improve universe are just lying to themselves. It's just as bad as before, now they just make it even more evident who is feud and what they are feuding about so even if the story doesn't play out how the computer wants, the player will fill in the details themselves.

I guess you didn't read my other posts in the thread. I did state they are to be unlocked! Sorry you're not enjoying it but I didn't overhype it. I actually wrote what's been happening in my universe. Maybe it's just not working out for YOU :(

Actual Example:

Usually I let Universe do it's thing and enjoy what they give me so I don't have a problem with the CPU making rivalries and I play them out

Maybe try to change their rivals in the roster menu in Universe.. Im gonna to try that, if no one else has, to see how the booking of that rivalry goes..

Im going to set up my own rivals, cause I want to use certain wtestlers.

Also make sure to change their brand to free agent in the roster menu in Universe mode.. To make sure people do not show up.. on top of removing them from the brand roster

Actual Example:

Usually I let Universe do it's thing and enjoy what they give me so I don't have a problem with the CPU making rivalries and I play them out

This simple sounds like somebody who doesn't understand the mode and doesn't actually understand how to use it. By the way WWE Universe Mode was an utter joke in WWE Smackdown Vs Raw 2011, zero separation between Exhibition and WWE Universe; limited as all out hell and even less purpose then what people where complaining about in WWE'12 - WWE 2k14.

Actual Example:

Just a heads up... if you go to storyline options while in the edit Universe screen, you can select to autobook, ask or not book the Royal Rumble and Undertaker rivalries.

Haven't played a match in Universe yet so can't speak on the storylines, but I did see that while exploring.

It's funny, seems we now have Universe Mode to the point of how we want it.. but won't be able to have full CAW rosters. Well, I'm not going to complain.. been enough hate spreading round here lately, admittedly I'm guilty of that myself. But, going forward.. 2K are keen on cleaning out THQ's cob webbed closet full of crap we've delt with for years.

God I hope they are.

I think I could still have a lot of fun with 2K15, just that the way theyve reduced the CAW numbers means it has to be a different sort of fun. Not a preorder and buy DLC fun, but a wait for next year/download sort of fun.

If 2K uses this as a basis to build on and doesnt do the THQ shuffle for the next decade...ok thats negative but....if 2K uses this as a basis to build on 2K16 could be what I expected 2K15 to be, a great bloody game.

Proper Universe that works they way many of us wanted it to, more than 25 CAWs, perhaps CAF back to some degree. If they want to they could make 2K16 great

God I hope they are.

I think I could still have a lot of fun with 2K15, just that the way theyve reduced the CAW numbers means it has to be a different sort of fun. Not a preorder and buy DLC fun, but a wait for next year/download sort of fun.

I'll still buy 2K15 on XB1, as it still does appeal to me EVEN with the limitations. MyCareer and Universe Mode mostly, wasn't going to play those modes but am very interested in both now.

I have been reading this thread for the past two days and felt compelled to create an account and post because I think a lot of people are being lead astray. I don't know what the people in here have been playing that say universe mode is great this year but it must be VASTLY different than my experience or any of the experiences I have seen on youtube because the mode this year is just a slight, slight step up from 14 which was terrible itself.

For me, universe is 90 percent of what I care about in these games. I'm not a major wrestling fan anymore, I don't play for online, or showcase modes. I play these games for universe, that's my bread and butter. A couple of years ago I bought WWE 12 on sale just for kicks and I fell in love with universe. What matters to me most is stories and cutscens. Awesome random feuds that spring up that I play through and enjoy. 12 kept me playing for months because I was in love with my continuous unpredictable feuds.

Since 12 I have gotten every WWE games since and I have been bitterly disappointed in the "advances" in universe mode. This game is no different.

At first I too thought it could be something grand. 800 stories! I thought, "They finally found a way to get us all those stories and scenes they promised us over the years!"

Not at all. After playing through several of these "800" stories you come to realize that they use the same 10 or so scenes and just flip the order around here and there. Nearly every damn feud has had the scene where a wrestler runs down the stage and jumps another in the ring. Or one where somebody is clapping at the entrance ramp. Or someone comes out to manage.

It is extremely repetitive. Also they once again gimped it so you only get scenes in the last 2 (maybe) 3 fights on a card. You get nothing in the early cards which just takes away a lot of the fun of playing or watching every match.

In WWE 12, I could just let the game play out in the background and enjoy the happenings becaue you never knew when something might crop up. Here you know its going to be in one of the two last matches (unless you have rivalries on then its in all three rivalry matches usually) and the other matches wont matter.

If you want lots of scenes, and cool interesting feuds, universe is crap this year. I am again very disappointed in the mode and I am convinced the devs have run into some kind major coding error when it comes to universe and they don't have the interest, patience, time or resources to fix it. This mode have been broken since WWE 13.

Rivalry manager is a bad addition to the mode IMO because it is extremely repetitive and it just gets in the way of proper rankings and order anyway. 12 handled this all much better when it just made the rivalries play out without some arbitrary parameters. Wrestlers didn't fight each other all the time or always feud. Things flowed way more naturally.

Universe needs a total overhaul at this point. They need to go back to early code and build off of that because this crap is broken. They need to get back to basics, let the computer do its thing and implement some new ideas. (A take on the new Nemesis system in shadow of mordor would be a really great addition to universe).

I wish the mode was awesome I really do. Its why I buy the games but this year, once again they have failed to deliver. Do not go buy this game if dynamic and fun universe scenes and stories are what you want. Now if you just want to use your imagination and run things in your head, it will do, but if you actually want to play through and see some fun stories this is not the game for you.

And I will say, I have not played the special rivalries, I can't get any of the ones I have to work yet as I am missing some stipulations to get them going. So maybe those 8 or 10 actualyl have new stuff but beyond that I have only seen ONE new scenes I don't ever recall seeing before.

That's a pre match hand shake between two faces. I haven't seen that since playing univers in 12. Everything else is stuff we have seen but implented very poorly.

I've played 2 months, so far, of Universe Mode (just finished Payback at the end of May) having set everything up accordingly and followed a guide that was posted on here about this time last year that can help combat silly booking http://caws.ws/forum/topic/456907-very-useful-guide-to-booking-universe-mode/

And in that time it's only a very slight step up from 2K14's Universe Mode. Still Rivalry Matches with no cutscenes. Still no cutscenes in Title Matches at PPV's (when it makes all the sense in the world is it's the rivalry climax).

I liked that title matches can happen on TV now rather than just PPV. For instance RVD was feuding with Cesaro over the IC title and they had a match on Raw for the title in amongst their rivalry which was a bit of progress.

However the biggest issue, STILL, for me is the constant rebooking of the same match week after week. If The Rock and Ultimate Warrior are feuding over the WWE World Heavyweight Title (as the game has thrown together on my Universe Mode) then they're not going to face each other on 3 episodes of Monday Night Raw in a row going into the PPV. The game should be booking The Rock against someone else and have Warrior interfere or a cutscene afterwards of the two of them having interaction in some way. Then have them finally meet on PPV. Not them just having a series of 1 on 1 matches in the build up to their actual title match. Then to add more insult, there's no cutscenes before, during or after these matches they keep having on Raw. Just the winning animation.

The Story Collection section definitely has a lot of depth given the sheer number of options but given majority of them are greyed out and cannot be selected, it's a bit deceptive. The only "Secret" one I've been able to use is Ryback vs Mark Henry. All the other special's are unselectable when I'm putting a rivalry together.

I've played 2 months, so far, of Universe Mode (just finished Payback at the end of May) having set everything up accordingly and followed a guide that was posted on here about this time last year that can help combat silly booking http://caws.ws/forum/topic/456907-very-useful-guide-to-booking-universe-mode/

And in that time it's only a very slight step up from 2K14's Universe Mode. Still Rivalry Matches with no cutscenes. Still no cutscenes in Title Matches at PPV's (when it makes all the sense in the world is it's the rivalry climax).

I liked that title matches can happen on TV now rather than just PPV. For instance RVD was feuding with Cesaro over the IC title and they had a match on Raw for the title in amongst their rivalry which was a bit of progress.

However the biggest issue, STILL, for me is the constant rebooking of the same match week after week. If The Rock and Ultimate Warrior are feuding over the WWE World Heavyweight Title (as the game has thrown together on my Universe Mode) then they're not going to face each other on 3 episodes of Monday Night Raw in a row going into the PPV. The game should be booking The Rock against someone else and have Warrior interfere or a cutscene afterwards of the two of them having interaction in some way. Then have them finally meet on PPV. Not them just having a series of 1 on 1 matches in the build up to their actual title match. Then to add more insult, there's no cutscenes before, during or after these matches they keep having on Raw. Just the winning animation.

The Story Collection section definitely has a lot of depth given the sheer number of options but given majority of them are greyed out and cannot be selected, it's a bit deceptive. The only "Secret" one I've been able to use is Ryback vs Mark Henry. All the other special's are unselectable when I'm putting a rivalry together.

Are they the same scenes over and over for the differnt rivalries? All of mine pretty much play out the same. Also my tag titles never get defended unless they are in a rivalry. Its cool though that you had a title match on raw. I haven't yet.

Are they the same scenes over and over for the differnt rivalries? All of mine pretty much play out the same. Also my tag titles never get defended unless they are in a rivalry. Its cool though that you had a title match on raw. I haven't yet.

I should also mention that said IC title match on Raw did come in amongst

Week 1: RVD defeats Seth Rollins. Cesaro comes out afterwards and points at RVD and signals he wants the belt.

Week 2: RVD vs Cesaro in a Submission Match

Week 3: RVD vs Cesaro in a one on one match

Week 4: RVD vs Cesaro in an Extreme Rules Match for the IC title

PPV: Cesaro vs RVD for the IC Title

So yeah. Progress in that we can see title matches on TV but it was sandwiched in between them having multiple 1 on 1 matches every week.

Archived