ISSUE: Did 2K make a mistake releasing last gen first?

DeathByChainsaw

76 members have voted

1. 1. Did 2K Make A Mistake Releasing Last Gen Version First?

• Yes, it's a black eye for the series and will affect people wanting to buy the Current Gen version
    • No, 2K15 for Current Gen still looks amazing, this affects nothing.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Their "Lets push new gen completely and force people to stop playing the old gen game!" is blowing up in their face. At least give people SOME reason to want to get 2k15 for 360/ps3. Why release a game that you know people are gonna HATE.

That's not really how it works. Obviously their intention wasn't to make a game that everyone hates. They were forced to develop for four systems rather than two...which means decisions about what goes into each need to be considered. It's not like the current gen version looks too promising either. Graphically, it looks great...but the roster is still small, there is no custom music, and a lot of other shit has been removed. What it comes down to, is trying to do too much in a short period of time and falling short of all of it. But with the 360 and PS3 versions failing so badly, hopefully we can put those systems in the rearview now and next year's game can be developed to its full potential on One and PS4.

My point is, no matter WHAT. If you have a game that revolves around wwe, or even sports in general where a new updated version of the game is out each year you NEVER. EVER. EVER. remove features. Even if that means their golden masterpiece new gen version won't have certain features oh no!!! Give the fans a reason to not wanna take a sh** on it and return it to gamestop.

Did they seriously think they were not gonna get hate for any of this?

Shouldn't have even done the previous generation if they were gonna half-ass it. Waste of money and waste of time.

But for the future of the current generation, I don't think they made a mistake, solely because they made it clear that the previous generation won't have as much as the current generation will. Fans will just defend the series saying that they didn't put as much effort for PS3 and 360 as they did for One and PS4.

I just hope they don't waste their time making old gen games for 5-6 years like THQ did with PS2 games. Maybe one or two more years then retire that gen.

LOL... you think people will buy a future last gen game after this shit show?

This is almost a hard-learned lesson for all last genners that it's time to upgrade, but surely a better way to do that would have been to be next gen only, and give last genners a reason to want the new machines/more justification for picking one up.

Well cut us last gunners a check then. Some of us don't have mommies to buy games and consoles for us. We are moms and dads working to make a buck and don't have that money to blow.

On a side note sometimes I wish they have more than one company making wwe games. Like they used to with NFL and mlb.

Don't agree with either of the poll options really.

My main issue is the poor marketing and community interaction they had, wouldn't have been so bad if 2K had been more open and honest about things, but if they were going to do this all along from the start with last gen then they shouldn't have bothered. Would've saved themselves from all the shit that's been stirred up, since most seem to be sticking to 2K14 for last gen anyway.

I just hope they don't waste their time making old gen games for 5-6 years like THQ did with PS2 games. Maybe one or two more years then retire that gen.

LOL... you think people will buy a future last gen game after this shit show?

This is almost a hard-learned lesson for all last genners that it's time to upgrade, but surely a better way to do that would have been to be next gen only, and give last genners a reason to want the new machines/more justification for picking one up.

Well cut us last gunners a check then. Some of us don't have mommies to buy games and consoles for us. We are moms and dads working to make a buck and don't have that money to blow.

On a side note sometimes I wish they have more than one company making wwe games. Like they used to with NFL and mlb.

Credit Card, Christmas present 'splurge'. There are ways to justify purchasing a new console. We are almost a year removed from launch, the consoles are coming down in price and are being bundled with games too at these lower costs. I really hate the 'not everyone can afford a new console' argument. It's been 8 years or more on the last gen, you knew a next gen was coming right around the corner for at least 2 years before it hit. A little bit each month saved-up, no one's saying you had to magically pull £350 or $400 out of your ass at once.

After the initial cost the playing experience becomes a 100x better. You won't be getting gimped versions of last gen games, and with PS4's SharePlay you can even try games without a demo before you buy them, if renting isn't an option, for example. By playing as/or playing with a friend in co-op, without you even having to own the game yourself. More powerful hardware and higher capacity disc space means less load times, and more features in the games. The sooner everyone moves to next gen (sorry, current gen), the sooner time and energy won't be taken away from current gen and spent on half-assing last gen versions of games.

The sooner companies stop making 'cross-gen' games, you'll quickly find yourself with a nice list of at least five games you want that are only available on next gen, and suddenly you'll have the justification you need to go out and pick-up a new console. cross-gen sucks ass.

If they had left custom music and entrance motions in the game, and otherwise basically copy/pasted 2K14 + Sting & Hogan + the roster change, I would have been okay with that. I wouldn't be happy (because they should've added to the create modes), but I would have considered buying it.

I view them both as seperate things, so the issues for the ps3/360 versions arent changing my view on the current gen ones. Just like when SvR went from PS2 to PS3 (im thinking 2010/2011) the games were completely different

OP, what makes you think Next gen version won't have the same issues?

That's definitely something to consider. I'm as negative as the next guy towards what's been done with the series, but I have to remain guardedly optimistic about what's coming. It's one of the things that annoys me with 2K's commitment to radio silence when it comes to their games. Wrestling fans don't like surprises at this point, and making a game that's nothing but surprises can make one queasy. If they were straightfoward with what's going to be in the game, they'd get a lot farther with people.But to them, this translates to "potential lost sales". Because people probably wouldhave stayed far away from this version if they had a choice.

I gotta give 2K credit, they found a way to possibly make one series like their 2 other sports series. We got MLB2K with the last gen stuff, and hopefully get NBA2K with the current.

No, peoples going to bitch regardless. This changes nothing...when we see the product on next gen that's when you can give an opinion.

I disagree. If they hadent released it on the 360/PS3 first then people wouldnt have been aware of the problems that pertain to the removals and restrictions.

So now people have bought it on the old gen its going to put people off buying the new gen.

They should have either ditched last gen or released both at the same time.

Usually I'd read all these replies first, quote one, and THEN post, but I didn't make it past the first page this time. I'ma just go ahead and get this out.

Yes, releasing this first was indeed a mistake. Sure, I believe it was ThreeG who said the "smart fans" or something along those lines knew better than to expect anything major from the game. I agree. I wouldn't call myself a "smart fan" but I rely on logic and common sense for alot of this stuff. Sure, expecting 2k14 with a slight upgrade of WWE13 supposedly, but I skipped completely over that game because I realized by the time 2k14 launched that all I was doing was going into create modes for 2 hours, played a handful of matches if I was lucky (more often than not I'd create stuff and shelf the game again for two months) and turn it off. If I got 2k14, I'd be paying for a creation suite that had little to no changes, access to the DLC moves from WWE13 I really wanted to use, and dropping a favorable Attitude heavy roster for an unwanted Legends roster. No go, despite the praise.

I figured I've never missed a game in the series completely up until that point so I'd close the gap with 2k15 even if I were getting it still feeling the way I did about 2k14. But when you take pretty much the main thing that I enjoy out of the game, or butcher it like it's been done, why should I even bother? That is the same mindset alot of these guys had going into prev gen's 2k15 and I think that in turn might've cost them some of their next gen business. Not enough to cripple them, mind you, but it may become a problem if the outcry is loud enough.

The reason I say it'll cost them next gen biz is this. I have a feeling deep down in my gut that 2k15 last gen was an experiment. Granted, alot of people called it "lazy" when quite a bit of work actually DID go into that title and even though fans would've been mad about the removals regardless, I think the pain would've been eased if there wasn't a "next gen version". That aside, I believe that this "delay" for next gen, because you know they'll never come out and tell you, is a test. It's a test to see where your loyalties lie. That "try to get fans to upgrade" theory is part of it. Give the last gen crew a game, cause if you don't you're gonna hear about THAT too, but let's make some alterations to the last gen version, push this release up, and wait. I don't think the delay has anything to do with fixing bugs or anything like that. I think it was planned from [almost] the start so they drop this version that alot of people hate but kiss da 2kFeet when they launch the next gen like "See, we told you 2k could make a great wrestling game." But problem is there are a bunch of next gen gamers that, like I said in another topic, don't really like shady business of this caliber. With no intentions on buy or even legitimate care for the previous gen version, they'll duck out of the next gen version because they don't wanna feed the pockets of crooks (which is the term I'm using loosely but sticking with).

Like I said before, you'll probably never get the reason why anything was removed. At this point, you MAY see them in next gen (and if you do, that makes even MORE sense to me that this is some kind of conspiracy). I mean, I know you guys have asked why, just why remove all those generic entrances except one singles and one tag (1 trio?) and why those ones exactly? Why use the one entrance NOBODY ever uses but remove old Ambrose or Generico's even though they're still in the game

? But have you really stopped to think about why they would've done that? "Chalk it up to them reanimating all the entrances" some of you tell yourselves that but do you believe it? Alot of these entrances even on next gen are the same ones with facial expressions and fidgets added in. There was NOTHING wrong with those entrances that were trashed. They knew this was gonna cause problems but they did it anyways because they wanted to see how you'd react.Then they wanted to see if you let bygones be bygones when they "fix" it with the PS4 and XB1 version. Call it crazy or paranoid, but I believe it wholeheartedly.

I believe in the term "go hard or go home." If you're a triple A publisher, I expect that from you and except no substitutes. On all these boards, you hear alot of "Just be glad you guys even GOT a game" or "They've been doing this with so-and-so franchise for years." I'm not trying to hear that guys. I think a few people would agree that if they started on a previous gen and cancelled it mid cycle because they didn't feel the version they were making were gonna live up to even half the standards of their next gen one and they felt it was lacking, 2K would get miles of respect. Instead, let's give them a reason to lose trust in us... let's release this game: same game as 2k14 down to the BUGS in 2k14, downgrade some quality, let the framerates dip in areas they don't need to be dippin and but let's remove some sheeit but hush, don't tell them about a GAT damn thing. Yeah, that's shady. "It's a surprise! ^_^" Yup, you damn skippy -_-;;

And you know the funniest thing about all this? The next gen guys who are unphased by this, saying it's no big deal or gawd forbid that "You get what you pay for. You want the better game then upgrade to the better system" (which is definitely true, at least in this case [at the moment]), alot of them think they know how they would feel in this situation but I highly doubt they would think this isn't a big deal if they were the ones with the less powerful system and looking up. And some of the guys who are only on last gen who are upset, would you feel the same if you DID have that next gen console were only planning on buying that version? You never really know how you feel about a situation until you're actually in it. I don't even know if I'd get the next gen version if there was one but I think I'd be closer to decisive once it launches. I'd be more upset if the modes that got removed DO show up in next gen and simply curious if they don't.

Either way it's wrong. They might not lose huge dollar amounts for doing this but this is gonna change a lot of people's opinions towards them.

(Holy hell, what a novel. Sorry about that XD)

Actually I'm happy they did and I'm more happier that others got it early cause it saved me money.

I wanted to buy it for PS3 after all and after I saw everything that got removed and how it looks I didn't purchased it anymore.

It also made people more cautions when it comes to the Next Gen versions which is a good thing for our community.

Of course there will always be people that will buy a game no matter how it is only because they are doing so every year (more habit then need) or others that don't care about different or certain modes as long as they have the roster and exhibition to play with.

However, it's still positive cause it opens up our eyes and makes us to go against some unnessecary changes so the developer notices what we like or dislike and what is wanted from the community the most.

You only get one chance to make a first impression.

That statement fits this poll so well IMO. When Lthey delayed the next-gen versions, the current fen became their first impression, and we saw how much of a shitfest that is. It put me off buying the PS3 edition & threw my PS4 pre-order in danger of bring cancelled. It also left me with a very bad taste of them. IMO, they should have rhrown all their guns at this game, get as many names, large and small, put 110% into all their modes, creation suite included, let the community manager do his job and answer the tough questions instead of telling him just to dodge them & say corporate bullshit, and made a point out of NOT pissing the fans off. They don't have a reputation to fall back on, so they shouldn't be trying to scam the fans.

They've made it pretty clear that the 2 versions of the game are different, they just have the same name. It's not really a first impression when what they're about to release isn't the same game gameplay wise. And yes, they do have a reputation to fall back on. They're 2k sports, they have a very good reputation to fall back on. Plus most aren't buying for both consoles so the people that are buying only for new gen are not going to care about what's going on with last gen. 2k isn't catering to the small percentage of people who are buying the game for both last gen and new gen.
It is their first impression cosidering it came out first. If they wanted PS4/Xbox One to be their first inpression, they shouldn't have delayed them to be behind the last gen games. No one was expecting the last gen versions to be on par with next gen. They just simply expected a roster update with no stupid removals or restrictions. 2HQ tried to scam people with their sneaky removals. For people like me who only really play the wrestling games, 2K does not have a reputation to fall back on. While you are right most people aren't buying for both gens, it doesn't make it right for last grn users to be screwed over like this. If we let them think they can get away with screwing last gen over like this, imagine what they'll do to next gen in a few years time. To say people who only buy for next gen only care for next gen is generalising. Several members here who are only buying for next gen are pissed off over this as well. You're right thry shouldn't be catering to people on both gens, but they should be catering to the people who have no prior experience with them before WWE 2K15 & thus trying to make a good first impression.

I never said it was okay for them to release a half assed version of last years game, they just don't care. There's a very calculated reason why they gave us no information on this version of the game and have only hyped the new gen game. They never saw the 2 as the same. Also, they're 2K Sports, they have a very good reputation to fall back on. Many will buy this game just because it has the 2K name attached to it.

You only get one chance to make a first impression.

That statement fits this poll so well IMO. When Lthey delayed the next-gen versions, the current fen became their first impression, and we saw how much of a shitfest that is. It put me off buying the PS3 edition & threw my PS4 pre-order in danger of bring cancelled. It also left me with a very bad taste of them. IMO, they should have rhrown all their guns at this game, get as many names, large and small, put 110% into all their modes, creation suite included, let the community manager do his job and answer the tough questions instead of telling him just to dodge them & say corporate bullshit, and made a point out of NOT pissing the fans off. They don't have a reputation to fall back on, so they shouldn't be trying to scam the fans.

Well said my friend. I agree 100 percent. This is easily the worst game in the series to date, not gameplay-wise mind you, but taking the whole thing together for what it is. It's a mess.

2K15 isn't even a cut-and-paste job of 2K14 — they managed to screw that up. If they just directly copied all there was in K14, added in the Showcase mode, and have this roster — it'd be a pretty good game. The exclusions and all of that really add up to be a watered-down product, despite the fact that it has some good new roster additions (and a lot more cut). Definitely not worth the full price of retail.

People are failing to realize that 2k's version of the game is the next gen version. I honestly believe once they got the liscense to make WWE games their focus was on the next gen versions rather than the build THQ made. Instead of taking the time to fix the buggy issues that came with CAF and CAS, they decided to remove it all together. Hence why the last gen version was released on time and the next gen version being pushed back.

Archived