Models and likenesses. What's the deal?

TitanTron

As we now know, not everyone on the roster has been scanned. We're all aware that CM Punk was not scanned, but now it seems as though there are a few guys on the roster that some folks aren't so sure about. Take The Rock, for instance. If he was scanned, he's probably not the best example of what this tech can achieve. After watching the most recent trailer, I'd say he looks kiiind of like The Rock, but just... Not quite right, you know? I did some photo editing, and came up with what I feel is a fair representation of what could have been:

Before (No editing):

dreDXSf.png

After (Edited):

sFmPuUQ.png

So, what's keeping them from being able to just make something that looks closer to that? Something that doesn't necessarily look scanned, but still looks like the person it's supposed to be? What we're getting doesn't look like The Rock, to me. Looks like a dude named Justin, who likes to say he's The Rock's cousin, but calls you names when you ask him to prove it... Nobody likes Justin.

It's all subjective, of course. Hell, we've had un-scanned wrestlers for all of the previous years, and plenty of those were fine! I think Ric Flair and Antonio Cesaro from last year's game are great examples of that, but for every good one, there's a Booker T. So, as the title inquires, what's the deal? Why do you suppose some wrestler's models (Excluding the scanned ones) can look nearly perfect, while others don't? Could it just be laziness on the modelers part, or is there something about some wrestlers faces, like The Rock, Edge, ETC., that makes it more difficult to achieve a great likeness? I don't know for sure, but I'm curious to see how Visual Concepts is going to tackle the "Un-scan-able" guys from here on out.

I was about to run in here like "I don't see the difference at ALL" but I do and that's a really good question. I guess it's one thing to just alter a model's look from one angle that doesn't move and another thing to alter all degrees of a model. You have to tie in the facial expressions and make sure everything seems right when it's in motion. Not to say they couldn't have done it. It just really puzzles me how people can actually "okay" those horrible Booker models when it's been said that it's not exactly like they hadn't done much much better with lesser tech so... I dunno. It's a mystery that's never getting solved

Damn, dude...that edit is slick.

Yeah...Rock is the the most unlike his real-life counterpart of any models we've seen thus far...and Bryan might not look great either (hard to tell with what we've seen of him so far). But I can't complain too much...the majority of the roster still seems like it will look amazing. I'll accept a few "off" characters if 99% of them look like they could be photos of the actual performers.

How they nail The Rock perfectly in 2K14, but *Censored* him up so bad in 2K15 despite getting scanned?

I remember last year a blurry picture of Goldberg was screen capped from the roster reveal and people were saying he looked like crap and they were people saying that's not even a clear pic of him and he'd look better in the game. Then he ended up looking like shit in the game after all

^lmao...I said the same shit. But yeah man...I dunno. Maybe the characters are split up and given to different developers on the team for creation and some developers just didn't do as well as others at resembling the characters (when it came to those that weren't scanned). Just a hunch.

Your edit is sweet man but MAYBE it was just an unfortante scene with motion blur or some shit. Just an awkward frame. I wouldn't be too pessimistic about it. Then again, I could totally see The Rock not being scanned.

However, I think generally some peeps just look too much like clay, it's ridiculous. You can see them in the face, a lot. It may even be on point but it still looks super unrealistic sometimes.

Your edit is sweet man but MAYBE it was just an unfortante scene with motion blur or some shit. Just an awkward frame. I wouldn't be too pessimistic about it. Then again, I could totally see The Rock not being scanned.

However, I think generally some peeps just look too much like clay, it's ridiculous. You can see them in the face, a lot. It may even be on point but it still looks super unrealistic sometimes.

Unfortunately I dont have proof but I remember reading that he was scanned during Wrestlemania 30.

My guess is VC is just better at scanning than animating from scratch. Their commercials have been pretty strategic with the placement of faces. Rock was shown from the back in the first trailer, and we've now seen why. Makes me wonder about some of the others we have only seen clearly from behind and if that was also intentional.

Archived