So today marks 13 years since Hayabusa suffer his career ending injury.

H2.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz0sfhREfTQ

Credit: http://fmwwrestling.us/Hayabio.html

"October 22, 2001 at Korakuen Hall, Hayabusa would suffer one of the worse injuries in professional wrestling history against Mammoth Sasaki in a one on one battle in attempt to win Shoichi Arai his spot back in FMW. Almost ten minutes into the match, Hayabusa would go to do an Asai Moonsault from the inside of the ring on Sasaki when his foot would suddenly slip on the rope and Eiji Ezaki would fall directly on his head causing him to become paralyzed instantly from the neck down. Hayabusa’s initial reaction to having no feeling in his body was that it was the same thing as one time when Masato Tanaka had delivered a Half Nelson Suplex on him and he had lost feeling in his body for about two seconds but once the two seconds had passed and he still had no feeling in body he knew he was in big trouble. Hayabusa would have an out of body experience afterwards feeling his his spirit had left his body like he had just died after the incident and would see himself looking above the ring at himself laying in the ring helpless before going back down to his body. Hayabusa initial reaction would be to keep the match going and would tell referee FMW referee Marty Asano to continue with the match.

Shoichi Arai, Tetsuhiro Kuroda, Hisakatsu Oya, GOEMON, Onryo, Ricky Fuji, and the young FMW wrestlers would come in to the ring due to the tragic accident. Kintaro Kanemura would come to the ring to get Mammoth out of the ring as Mammoth would finally be wised up to what had just happened. A stretcher would be rushed to the ring as Hayabusa would realize that this was the main event and did not want to have the fans go home disappointed and would ask for the mic to address the fans. Hayabusa would state “All of you, I’m truly sorry. It probably might take a long to come back, but, I want to come back. I think I want to come back, so, so please don’t abandon FMW that I loved at the risk of my life.”Shoichi Arai would ask the fans to clear the building to allow the ambulance to come into Korakuen Hall.Television cameras would then stop filming as paramedics would rush to Korakuen Hall and place him on Ezaki on a stretcher and would take him to Nihon University in Tokyo. Ezaki would stay conscious the whole time and would vividly remember the lights of Korakuen Hall shining down on him but he would enter the hospital feeling he was not going to make it out alive and begin crying as hard as possible with one of the teachers at the University asking him to calm down with the doctors stabilizing him and Ezaki falling asleep immediately . Shoichi Arai and Ezaki’s wife would be the only ones allowed to visit him while in the hospital the day of the accident.

Ezaki would be taken to the ICU where he would be told by a doctor that he had cracked his Vertebrae 4 and 5 which resulted in paralysis and he would not be able to feel anything from his head down as a result. Ezaki would ask the doctor when would a full recovery be expected with the doctor giving him the news that he if he did not regain any feeling in his body after three months than he could possibly be bed ridden for the rest of his life. This would send Ezaki into a mental shock as he was a pro wrestler someone that had just been flying around the ring a couple of hours earlier and now there was a possibility that he would be bed ridden the rest of his life.”

Been thinking a bit about Hayabusa recently, especially yesterday after Cykocide posted about "Blackanese Assassin" Menace in that 'bootleg Hayabusa' in CZW thread here.

I saw footage of Blackanese Assassin do a moonsault out of the ring and just seeing a guy in a Hayabusa outfit do something like that made me think back of all those Hayabusa matches I watched and made me remember what an especially talented wrestler he was and what a tragedy it is that his ring career was cut short in such tragic circumstances.

Still, with my somewhat selfish thoughts about that, to consider the other options, like the thought that he could be bedridden for the rest of his life, to see him walk around even with the aid of crutches is such a postive life affirming thing.

Thinking of Hayabusa today.

• 4 weeks later...

I was actually watching some of his matches just last week and realized that it was close to the anniversary. Really a tragic accident. I often wonder where his career would have gone had it not happened. This accident was definitely one of the things that sealed FMW's fate IMO.

Even if he didn't get hurt he would have gone to All Japan after FMW went out of business.

I was actually watching some of his matches just last week and realized that it was close to the anniversary. Really a tragic accident. I often wonder where his career would have gone had it not happened. This accident was definitely one of the things that sealed FMW's fate IMO.

Even if he didn't get hurt he would have gone to All Japan after FMW went out of business.

I don't know the full story but if Hayabusa wasn't injured would FMW survived?

I've read Bahu's page about it and know that FMW owed a stack of money towards the end but if Hayabusa would of still been there would they have been able to pay off that money owed?

I've read Bahu's page about it and know that FMW owed a stack of money towards the end but if Hayabusa would of still been there would they have been able to pay off that money owed?

Probaby not cause around that time FMW lost Jado & Gedo to NJPW, Masato Tanaka went to Zero-1 and Mr. Gannosuke was hurt. The owner Commit Suicide in May 2002 and the life insurance money wasn't enough to pay back the debt.

Also off the FMW site.

"October 19, 2001 in Tokyo, Hayabusa would meet up and challenge Genichiro Tenryu for a singles match at All Japan's October 28, 2001 Budokan Hall show, where Hayabusa would represent the All Japan team taking on Tenryu's WAR team in a best of 5 singles matches. The match would never take place."

IMO If FMW still went down and Hayabusa didn't suffer a career ending injury he would have join All Japan.

From what I've seen throughout the years, Hayabusa was one of the "cash cows" of FMW. I've heard him referred to as the "Heart and Soul of FMW". I assume he was probably one of the locker room leaders as well.

I think Hayabusa may have ultimately ended up in Dragon Gate had he not been injured but FMW went under. I think he said he would be in DG if he was active. Probably would have had a stint in AJPW but eventually jumped.

Archived