Jericho's tats

1ManGang

Anyone know why he doesn't have them?

In January it was reported the artist that did them is in a battle with Jericho over the copyrights to the art work. Mattel said at comic con that any Jericho figures would have to be produced without the tattoos going forward. It looks like the artist won the case and rights to the tattoos and 2K also cannot legally use them.

Lots of tattoo artists are starting to copyright their work on celebrities. Some NBA players in NBA 2K also cannot have their tats because the artist has the copyright.

But... that's completely stupid!

Surely people don't just walk into a tattoo parlor and pick a random tattoo from the artist's book? They must go in with an idea of what they want, sketch out something personal with the tattooist? That's how I've always done it. As a personal creation of both, the artist shouldn't be able to copyright the tattoo design.

But even if that is the case, why don't Mattel/2K either pay royalties, or at least put a 'simillar' tattoo design instead?

But... that's completely stupid!

Surely people don't just walk into a tattoo parlor and pick a random tattoo from the artist's book? They must go in with an idea of what they want, sketch out something personal with the tattooist? That's how I've always done it. As a personal creation of both, the artist shouldn't be able to copyright the tattoo design.

But even if that is the case, why don't Mattel/2K either pay royalties, or at least put a 'simillar' tattoo design instead?

If I was to guess I would assume that the issue is over the artists time in creating/applying the design. It would be similar to a top magazine running a photo without the photographers permission. I agree that it's a fairly stupid argument but I can understand both sides of it. Definitely wish they would pay royalties where due or use filler designs though.

Even if there were no problems with the tattoo artist it probably still wouldn't be in the game because (aside from the Fozzy tattoo) he has tattoos of art from other band's album covers. That would be another copyright or licensing issue.

he also has a Helloween tat.

I just learned that this is the same exact reason Madden stopped puthing tattoos on the players. Collin Kaepernick went and got copyright permissions for his, and EA encourages all players with tattoos to do so, so that they can use authentic tattoos for all players. I don't see why 2k and Jericho don't do this for his, besides the tattoos of band logos n such that he has.

I just learned that this is the same exact reason Madden stopped puthing tattoos on the players. Collin Kaepernick went and got copyright permissions for his, and EA encourages all players with tattoos to do so, so that they can use authentic tattoos for all players. I don't see why 2k and Jericho don't do this for his, besides the tattoos of band logos n such that he has.

you have to remember sometimes the royalties these artists want is ridiculous. Back in NHL 11 EA wanted to use Roberto Luongo's real mask art and the artists wanted $500K for them to use it.

In a lot of cases the money it would cost to use the images doesn't make any logical sense to the developers to use it if their return on the game will be severely diminished just to use art work.

Archived