Unpopular Wrestling Opinions

Faster Than Light

True, but all that was just the icing on the cake. WWE in the past was far above the level of the WWE of today without all that stuff too. The feuds were intense, they knew how to get people invested in characters and feuds and storylines were wonderfully constructed. We don't get that anymore. There was a degree of appeal back then which seems to have disappeared completely now. Before, you wanted to watch WWE because it was *censored*ing epic and the best shit on TV. Now, most watch it because it's become habitual (myself included) to do so, which is a shame.

I agree wholeheartedly. I used to watch Raw live these past few months, but stopped doing that this month, I'm basically watching barely an hour or two of WWE every week, compared to 3-6 hours, where I was paying attention and being entertained years ago.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, staying up and watching it is a chore in itself nowadays because of how early it is (1 am for us UK folk) and because of how boring 90% of it is. That plus the adverts = massive turn off for me, so I just wait until the next day and watch it on record. That way, I can also fast forward through the painful parts.

I don't even watch PPVs live anymore, and they don't have any adverts!

Also, the constant replays, the commentators constantly plugging every little WWE product.

Oh man, don't remind me. Those are the worst. "Let's recap something that happened 2 minutes ago". 10 minutes later, "We'll take you back to what happened earlier.". *Censored* me, talk about overkill.

Also, the constant replays, the commentators constantly plugging every little WWE product.

Oh man, don't remind me. Those are the worst. "Let's recap something that happened 2 minutes ago". 10 minutes later, "We'll take you back to what happened earlier.". *Censored* me, talk about overkill.

That's one of the reasons I record Raw and watch it later now, I can skip through all the bull and gajillion commercial breaks.

And the fact that we don't have a Mr McMahon character now. HHH and Steph are terrible attempts.

Over the top gimmicks and attractions aren't needed for a great product, sure they can help but they aren't all that's needed. WCW, Chikara and NJPW are all evidence of that. In all honesty, I'm just tired of my intelligence being constantly insulted, not by pro-wrestling but by WWE.

Well Chikara is pretty much just over the top though.

Over the top gimmicks and attractions aren't needed for a great product, sure they can help but they aren't all that's needed. WCW, Chikara and NJPW are all evidence of that. In all honesty, I'm just tired of my intelligence being constantly insulted, not by pro-wrestling but by WWE.

True, but I meant over the top as in non pg not just over the top as gimmicky. I worded it poorly.

True, but I meant over the top as in non pg not just over the top as gimmicky. I worded it poorly.

Oh, yeah true. Honestly, I would love it if PWG was as big WWE. They are, by a landslide (YeaaOoh) the best wrestling company except maybe NJPW right now. Great booking, realistic and self aware without being annoyingly self-parodying. Amazing balance of comedy and serious wrestling, no illogical championships, continuity. Aside from a slight desentisizing effect, they are perfect. Imagine them having the backing WCW had back then. Put that product into huge, profitable venues, increase production value and bam. WWE would either steph up again or go under like it's nothing.

I don't think WWE will ever be consistently good like they were during the AE.

I think RA was superior, tbf.

Sometimes I wonder if Vince McMahon is just an idiot that got lucky a few times.

Vince is a genius, but the bottom line is about money through sponsorships and loyal viewers in kids who'd grow up with the product. Vince can afford to focus on profits over trying to get the best ratings because there's no wrestling war to worry about.

Archived