Favorite Albums

.Sy™

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, Bring the Sun is almost 40 minutes long, wtf. I remember being burned out while listening to the entire album, despite really enjoying most of the first half lmao. I found it hard to get into the rest of it until yeah, Oxygen.

I actually didn't mind the lenght itself, The Seer is probably my favorite Gira album and it had like several songs with 20 minutes and more. It was just that Bring The Suns is incredibly pointless. The last 10-15 minutes are just noise and him screaming the same way over and over again and I just found it to be rather boring.

Limiting it to 10 and only one artist just so I'm not listing every album I like.

Arcade Fire - Funeral

Blood Orange - Cupid Deluxe

Brian Eno - Here Come the Warm Jets.

David Bowie - Low

The Libertines - Up the Bracket

The National - High Violet

New Order - Technique

Panda Bear - Person Pitch

Pulp - Different Class

The Smiths - The Queen is Dead

I agree it's very hard. I feel my list is outdated already and after having a bit of a think about it with a bit of herbal help yesterday I feel I left out a whole stack of albums that are particularly special for me.

Maybe I'm old and cynical (cross out maybe) but if I was Rolling Stone and record labels were paying me $$$ to make sure their artists albums were well represented I wouldn't have too much trouble fitting them in somewhere. :P

RS asked many artists on albums that inspired them, included compilations to save space and are most likely quite corporate as Fried implied, but yeah, it's still a pretty tough thing to do.

When I made my Top 100 playlist on iTunes I made sure to only include albums I love and truly enjoy from top to bottom. That's why there's not a single Rolling Stones, Clash or Beastie Boys album in my list, despite them being among my favorite bands.

I still change it from time to time because some albums I've only liked so far tend to really grow on me after a while (like A Love Supreme and possibly Madvillainy).

I actually didn't mind the lenght itself, The Seer is probably my favorite Gira album and it had like several songs with 20 minutes and more. It was just that Bring The Suns is incredibly pointless. The last 10-15 minutes are just noise and him screaming the same way over and over again and I just found it to be rather boring.

Well yeah, it was that 15-minute noise that turned me off.It didn't serve any purpose and trimming the album a little by removing that section would've been a better choice IMO.

I know "Madvillainy" will end up being one of your favourite albums ever, bro bro. It's creeping up the list slowly but it'll surely become one and I haven't listened to many albums yet to compile a "Loved Forever Albums" or "Best Albums Ever" list, plus I think you're right. Opinions on albums can change every day.

I personally didn't love "36 Chambers" that much by Wu-Tang at first listen, but I know that if I pop it on now; it could grow on me overtime. I have all-time favourite albums, but I still need to listen to a heck of a lot before I begin thinking of setting up a list. :P

Not necessarily, Madvailliny despite being awesome is definitely more for the hardcore hip hop fans. I know I tried to get some of my friends into it and most of them didn't like the way it sounded or MF Doom's voice. It's definitely not for mainstream audiences.

Not necessarily, Madvailliny despite being awesome is definitely more for the hardcore hip hop fans. I know I tried to get some of my friends into it and most of them didn't like the way it sounded or MF Doom's voice. It's definitely not for mainstream audiences.

I was saying that to Sy, not in general. He even told me that he thought it was a masterpiece, so that's why I believe it will grow into being one of his all-time faves. Also, "Madvillainy" was the first DOOM album I had listened to and I still ended up loving it as much as, say, hardcore MF fans did.

But I do agree that his voice is not everyone's cup of tea. Word has it that his original recording was a more hyped-up version but then he re-recorded everything in the deeper/flat tone. I liken it a lot to Kendrick Lamar's voice from the early projects (EP, Section.80, Overly Dedicated).

36 Chambers is definitely an album I had to listen to several times to really love it. It's probably one of my favorite hip hop albums. Just so much fun to listen to.

Yeah, at first, I was surprised by their flows tbh. They were, idk, off-beat but still kind of on-beat and very experimental. It ended up kind of almost ruining my enjoyment on a couple of songs, but really sticking w/ me by the end of the album.

However, I know if I listen to it again, I'll probably enjoy it more because I know their style now.

1,Eminem MMLP.

2.Limp Bizkit Significant Other

3.Metalica Black Album

4.Nirvana Nevermind

5.Nas Illmatic

6.Wu-tang 36 chamber

7.Rakim and Eric B Paid in full

8,Biggie Small Ready to die

9.Eminem SSLP

10.Raekwon Only built 4 cuban Link

11.R.a the rugged man Die Rugged man , Die

12.Kool G Rap 4 , 5 ,6

13.Two Pac Me against the World.

14.Nas stillmatic

15.A tribed called Quest , The low end thoery

16.Beastie boy licensed to ill

17.Dr,Dre the Chronic

18.Cypress hill , Black sunday

19,Cypress hill , Cypress hill

20.Beastie boy ill cominication

After 10 it's not really in orders.

I'm going to limit myself to only ten picks.

At the moment:

-Abbey Road - The Beatles

-The "Chirping" Crickets - The Crickets

-Freak Out! - The Mothers of Invention

-Here Come the Warm Jets - Brian Eno

-The Lonesome Crowded West - Modest Mouse

-The Point! - Harry Nilsson

-Roxy Music - Roxy Music

-Smiley Smile/The Smile Sessions - The Beach Boys

-The Sunlandic Twins - of Montreal

-The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground

Infinite is the only Em album I haven't checked out (yet). The least talked about, too.

OP:

You only have 1 Pink Floyd album in your list and its "Wish You Were Here"? :(
What about "The Wall", "Dark Side Of The Moon", & "Animals"?

I have them on vinyl (except for Animals), but I can't seem to connect to DSOTM and (especially) The Wall, no matter how many times I play them. Same goes for Meddle and Piper at the Gates of Dawn. They're all definite masterpieces, but I can't say I love every single track.

Wish You Were Here completely blew my mind when I heard it the first time and it still does whenever I play it. To me, it's their best and most consistent record.

Damn really? TDSOTM is obviously their most recognizable work, but its really good from start to finish. The Wall is long, but I took the time to get into a couple songs and they just mesh really well. Animals though, omfg, talk about an experience.

Everyone has their own favorites though. :)

I fully agree with all of that, it's just that for some reason, they haven't really clicked with me to the point I play them over and over again or can say I love it from start to finish.

I just realized that compared to last year, the only album that has truly clicked with me in 2014 so far is Xscape (which isn't even an album). This can turn into a general album discussion topic btw.

KANYE AND FRANKIE HURRY UP

Benji has grown on me, but musically, it's not really my cup of tea. Piñata is Madvillainy's younger brother, so it's definitely one of the better albums of the year.

The best album of 2014 I've heard so far is probably How to Dress Well's "What Is This Heart". I wasn't much of a fan of Love Remains, but he completely won me over with this one.

Voodoo and Brown Sugar are smooth af. Masterpieces. On first listen, I actually prefer the latter, maybe due to its shorter length compared to the sophomore.

Archived