Pics of Yourself Thread.

AlterNation

No, not really since Wikipedia says an American brought Mars Bars over. Blame him. It's worse with TV shows though. Cracker, Inbetweeners, Shameless, Life on Mars and so on. Why do you need to remake amazing TV shows?

Because American life is different enough from UK life, that many of those jokes fail to be entertaining over here. When it gets to the point that you need to change enough of the jokes for an American audience to include words or phrases that mean (over here) what they mean over there...then you might was well just make a whole new show...I think.

Hell...someone on this forum was just talking about a "hob" or a "hobb" the other day. If someone made a joke on one of those shows with the word "hob" in it, most of us would be like "what the hell is a hob?"...now I know that it's a stovetop, from having that conversation on this forum. But, your average viewer would need to figure out mid-show what the joke was supposed to be...and it would lose timing value and all of that. So, that's why there are American remakes of UK television shows...because producers like the concept, but want it to "click" for US audiences.

I understand where you're coming from but I don't think it's that much of a problem. Whenever I look at British TV shows on US Netflix, most of them are very highly rated. I don't think it's a problem with the US audience. I believe the majority of them would be happy to embrace culture from a different country. We're not that much different after all.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, not really since Wikipedia says an American brought Mars Bars over. Blame him. It's worse with TV shows though. Cracker, Inbetweeners, Shameless, Life on Mars and so on. Why do you need to remake amazing TV shows?

Because American life is different enough from UK life, that many of those jokes fail to be entertaining over here. When it gets to the point that you need to change enough of the jokes for an American audience to include words or phrases that mean (over here) what they mean over there...then you might was well just make a whole new show...I think.

Hell...someone on this forum was just talking about a "hob" or a "hobb" the other day. If someone made a joke on one of those shows with the word "hob" in it, most of us would be like "what the hell is a hob?"...now I know that it's a stovetop, from having that conversation on this forum. But, your average viewer would need to figure out mid-show what the joke was supposed to be...and it would lose timing value and all of that. So, that's why there are American remakes of UK television shows...because producers like the concept, but want it to "click" for US audiences.

I understand where you're coming from but I don't think it's that much of a problem. Whenever I look at British TV shows on US Netflix, most of them are very highly rated. I don't think it's a problem with the US audience. I believe the majority of them would be happy to embrace culture from a different country. We're not that much different after all.

Indeed. We aren't constantly remaking US shows into UK versions... because it's unnecessary. Same for the other way round

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed. We aren't constantly remaking US shows into UK versions... because it's unnecessary. Same for the other way round

Actually you'd be surprised how often that happens. Particularly with reality tv shows.

And while I don't necessarily agree with Shindol because quite often our tv and movie industry sucks complete balls, I know where he's coming from. Pretty much since the 60's we've be forced with American culture, especially in the media. It's not necessarily bad, but it can seem quite oppressive when you look at the sheer volume in which it happens.

I don't really like that people automatically hate something because it's a rehash for American audiences. Good premises are good premises and if done right they can be excellent. The Office US was really good. Prefer it over the original or not, it was still done correctly.

Do you really believe our TV industry is that bad? Hell, I watched two amazing shows last night. Vera and Line of Duty which is easily the greatest show on TV right now. Seriously, if you have never watched it, shame on you.

Do you really believe our TV industry is that bad? Hell, I watched two amazing shows last night. Vera and Line of Duty which is easily the greatest show on TV right now. Seriously, if you have never watched it, shame on you.

Two examples don't necessarily mean it's good either. Of course there are great shows, but in general yeah I think the British TV industry is rather lacklustre. Ive never even heard of either of those.

Prowling the mean streets of Oldham like Jack the Ripper. Hookers gonna get *censored*ed up.

E2AD8993-6B5D-44EB-82F0-6E5665D415D8_zps

Nah, not really. Just gone to the chippy for supper.

Hadoukennnnnn! You support Oldham?

He's a dirty United supporter unfortunately.

Prowling the mean streets of Oldham like Jack the Ripper. Hookers gonna get *censored*ed up.

E2AD8993-6B5D-44EB-82F0-6E5665D415D8_zps

Nah, not really. Just gone to the chippy for supper.

Hadoukennnnnn! You support Oldham?

He's a dirty United supporter unfortunately.

I'd call him a sell out bastard, but he's northern and looks mean.. So I won't..

But I'll pretend I did to anyone who asks.. (Hold me back!).

? My whole family are either United or City. I'd like to point out I was a supporter before Sir Alex took the job so they were my club before any glory could be hunted. My dad's a dirty blue bastard and he would take me to Maine Road all the time but my favourite player was Bryan Robson so I gravitated towards United. My dad begrudgingly took me to Old Trafford when I was about 6/7 and it's the clearest memory I can remember from when I was a kid.

Archived