Stephanie and Triple H's thoughts on UFC

2 Legit

We noted yesterday that Triple H had the following to say about UFC at the Needham fireside chat earlier this week:

"UFC is not really a competitor to us. I explain it to our talent. They are like boxing. It's completely different from what we are. We're like the movie Rocky. We're a story. We're a great story that just happens to take place in the wrestling ring. In a boxing match, you'll watch one time. You're not going to go back and watch it a bunch of times unless you're a connoisseur of boxing science. Rocky the movie? You'll watch over and over again. It's a triumph story. It's a love story. We create characters you gravitate to. That you connect with. Whether you hate them or love them. We put them in unique storylines with creative passions. We have good guys and bad guys. That's what makes the network successful. Who is going to go back and watch the Super Bowl from 1984? Who is going to go back and watch boxing from five years ago? Our product is evergreen."

Stephanie McMahon, who participated in the chat as well, also shared her thoughts on UFC. Here's a transcript of what she said:

"With UFC you can pay money to watch a PPV but it can be a terrible fight, right? The guy you're rooting for that UFC has been building gets knocked right off and suddenly that person doesn't really matter anymore. All that investment is lost. You never have that with WWE, we strategically build out Superstars and characters. We know when they are going to win, we know when they are going to lose. We build characters and make them megastars. It's all very intentional and you're guaranteed to get your money's worth. It might not necessarily be the outcome you wanted but you're guaranteed to have a great match, a great pay-per-view and you're guaranteed to get entertained."

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe/Stephanie_Shares_Thoughts_on_UFC_Says_WWE_Fans_Are_Guaranteed_to_Get_Money_s_Worth.html

Ha!

I think they mean that they just do entertainment in a different way. They were there before UFC and they're just a different product, I'll respect that. I don't think I could ever be a fan of UFC, but i respect what they do.

Agree with everything. They are there to entertain and create those classic moments that'll be with us forever. Whereas UFC is there to provide people with the opportunity to see fighters beat the shit out of each other. Both are great, and both are at the top at what they do.

The guy you're rooting for that UFC has been building gets knocked right off and suddenly that person doesn't really matter anymore. All that investment is lost. You never have that with WWE...

Yeah...I can't think of a single time that the guy I wanted to win in the WWE is "knocked right off" and "doesn't really matter anymore". Not a single time at all. That never happens...

wjht1w.jpg

The guy you're rooting for that UFC has been building gets knocked right off and suddenly that person doesn't really matter anymore. All that investment is lost. You never have that with WWE...

Yeah...I can't think of a single time that the guy I wanted to win in the WWE is "knocked right off" and "doesn't really matter anymore". Not a single time at all. That never happens...

wjht1w.jpg

aokmJEZ.gif

There are some good points made on why they're not competition, although I disagree with some of this. As a martial artist myself, I like going back to watch older fights once in a while. I also find Stephanie's last comments funny. The fact that this is wrestling and the outcomes are determined means we SHOULD be guaranteed our money's worth, great matches and a great pay-per-view, however that is not always the case. How many disappointing pay-per-views have there been just this year alone? Fans are now chanting "We want refunds". It also appears that the pay-per-views in general have worse matches than what we get on Raw, NXT, etc.

I miss kayfabe, though. I legit hated the nWo because I thought it was real. It was that much more exciting when a babyface got the upper hand.

That's not the fault of the WWE though...that's just a sign of the times. You can't maintain a serious level of kaybfabe with the internet in existence. People no longer put themselves in the mindset to suspend their disbelief. Everyone wants to know how everything is done and what is real and what isn't. I do agree that they could try harder though...(especially Stephanie, who sucks at storytelling).

The guy you're rooting for that UFC has been building gets knocked right off and suddenly that person doesn't really matter anymore. All that investment is lost. You never have that with WWE.

Um... this happens all the time in the WWE. Fans get behind a guy, WWE puts in minimal effort, then shuffle the guy back down to obscurity where they wanted them in the first place. It's happened with Cesaro and Ziggler most recently.

Anyway, properly booked, pro wrestling has some advantages over the UFC (and vice versa). I don't consider the shows properly booked, unfortunately. One thing WWE only occasionally gets right is building to a match with a big-fight feel, a recent example being Brock/Cena. UFC manages that far more often, though it's easier for them considering the fighters can't fight every week.

And those are some strong guarantees they make. I wouldn't feel like I got my money's worth from either Wrestlemania encounter between Sheamus and Daniel Bryan, for instance. I've seen plenty of bad PPVs.

"The guy you're rooting for that UFC has been building gets knocked right off and suddenly that person doesn't really matter anymore. All that investment is lost. You never have that with WWE, we strategically build out Superstars and characters."

He high?

Was a good read and good point though.

Archived