Football Thread

Faster Than Light

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like Liverpool have agreed the £16m fee for Balotelli, but all the transaction needs is his approval:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28878088

Would be a great buy, if so.

It isn't so certain. Balotelli has his downsides, for one he's extremely inconsistent despite all his potential. Secondly, he's a bit of a risk because of his behavior, which many clubs don't want to deal with. According to some sources Liverpool is one of those teams as some have been reporting that they included a behavior clause somewhere in the deal. It'll turn out to be a great move by Liverpool, or an extremely stupid one, time will tell. But it isn't so definitive.

Didn't (teach me how to) Dougie go through crazy hoops to force a move to Bolton at the time, because it was a step up?

No, not because it was a step up. At the time, we were sailing above Bolton in the league, it was obvious we'd be challenging for the top when he left. That's why it was so shocking.

Screw having Cleverley in midfield yet again. He's proven numerous times that he's useless and will more likely cost us a game than win it. I would bring in Ben Pearson from the U21's, at least he'd bring a bit of bite to the side and would actually contribute defensively and offensively.

He's looked really poor in the u21 game tonight. Doesn't look anywhere near ready if this is his usual level.

Didn't (teach me how to) Dougie go through crazy hoops to force a move to Bolton at the time, because it was a step up?

No, not because it was a step up. At the time, we were sailing above Bolton in the league, it was obvious we'd be challenging for the top when he left. That's why it was so shocking.

and also funny.

and it was a step up in terms of club, relegated team who was off form and a bit of form (which we got too late) would've seen us up, whilst Palace could've gone back to mid table also rans at any point. Obviously now it wouldn't be a step up but then it was. We also had more money than Palace back then.

Was only a step down for league position at the time. He thought it would be easy to get us to wreck and go up.

Screw having Cleverley in midfield yet again. He's proven numerous times that he's useless and will more likely cost us a game than win it. I would bring in Ben Pearson from the U21's, at least he'd bring a bit of bite to the side and would actually contribute defensively and offensively.

He's looked really poor in the u21 game tonight. Doesn't look anywhere near ready if this is his usual level

Didn't get to watch the game, but I heard he and Rothwell were well below par tonight. Although from what I've seen he's a box-box midfielder who'll get stuck in and help out the team when needed, he may not score many or be as glamorous as some others but his work rate in midfield is something the team lacks. So in all likelihood he was having an off night and while I wouldn't say he's ready to step up he'd still be an improvement over the dross in midfield right now(Herrera excluded).

Crystal Palace are more likely to approach the Rangers manager, Ally McCoist, to become their new manager than the bookmakers’ favourite and his former rival, Neil Lennon, who stood down from Celtic this summer.

Palace have held talks about the Rangers manager as they compile a new shortlist following a week of turmoil at the club, although they have yet to approach him or indeed Lennon.

Palace will see how the weekend Premier League fixture at home to West Ham United pans out before deciding on the urgency of their need for a new manager.

Malky Mackay had been the front-runner before the text scandal put paid to his chances. The Independent columnist Tim Sherwood ruled himself out of the running on Thursday night and Glenn Hoddle did the same earlier in the week.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/crystal-palace-next-manager-latest-palace-consider-ally-mccoist--exclusive-9686808.html

Save us Palace, and also get used to playing players out of position, and signing players over 30, and playing long ball without any tactical organisation. On the plus side they'd get a manager who has managed in Europe with distinction against Malmo and Maribor.

From what i've seen in the past 3 years, there aren't really shitter managers that come to mind.

However i feel sorry for Palace fans because even their first backup choice of Sherwood was quite shit.

Lennon isn't much better than Ally though, and he'd have referees going on strike(again) with the amount of complaining he does.

Looking at the betting odds i'd take Steve Clarke over most of the others. Don't know much about Keith Millen but looking at the names being thrown about right now there comes a point where they'd be better just appointing him full time.

I'm warming to Keith Millen. I do have slight hope for Lennon though. I just think his signings at Celtic could be very clever at times, especially players like van Dijk. I'd like a manager with that kind of flair. Plus, there are a few players that I'd like to tempt over from Celtic, especially after Ledley has been such a success with us.

Seems like Liverpool have agreed the £16m fee for Balotelli, but all the transaction needs is his approval:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28878088

Would be a great buy, if so.

It isn't so certain. Balotelli has his downsides, for one he's extremely inconsistent despite all his potential. Secondly, he's a bit of a risk because of his behavior, which many clubs don't want to deal with. According to some sources Liverpool is one of those teams as some have been reporting that they included a behavior clause somewhere in the deal. It'll turn out to be a great move by Liverpool, or an extremely stupid one, time will tell. But it isn't so definitive.

I agree to that but not entirely. His behaviour at Milan was different to how he behaved at City and Inter, I would say that in a way; he's matured as a sportsman. If he brings this type of attitude to Liverpool, he'd do fine with the fellow players and manager.

Also, he was quite consistent in Milan. The only reason he was terribly inconsistent at City was because of his conflicts w/ the team and coach. I think that if he's able to form a good relationship w/ LFC's staff and squad, he could play just as well - if not better.

Balotelli doesn't seem to have caused any problems with team mates and the only manager he seems to have really annoyed was Mancicni, who everyone at City seemed to end up hating. I think Rodgers has to accept his personality and not try to treat him like a child. Still worried about his lack of work rate a times, but £16m for a player of his talent is worth the risk.

Archived