The Jazz Thread

.Sy™

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I hadn't but I checked out a few tracks yesterday. There was one with some pretty cool drums but I still have some problems with the production of what I heard. Not to say one production is better than the other but there's just something that resonates with me more with the older stuff. Thanks for the recommendation though man.

It's hard because I think there is a place for digital recordings, like I think digital works for ambient music and a lot of other genres too but I just like the idea of the Wrecking Crew crammed into a room cutting a side for Spector or the BB's, or Motown who once they got their drum sound didn't ever dare move the kit for the longest time for fear or losing the sound. But it is just down to personal preference I guess.

No problem my man! I completely understand what you mean with vintage jazz production, since they didn't rely on computer technology to blend any instrumentation.

Some would claim the music felt far more intimate and raw that way. I personally enjoy the former a lot for the same reasons so yeah.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My favorite Miles probably has to be Agharta.

"Agharta was panned by music critics when it was originally released in 1975. It was the most widely panned of Davis' double albums during the 1970s. In a review for The New York Times at the time, Robert Palmer said the album is marred by long stretches of "sloppy, one-chord jams" and disjointed sounds, and that the music's banality is clearly rendered by the impeccable Japanese engineering. Palmer also said that Davis' wah-wah pedal deprives him of his phrasing and criticized the band as poor "by rock standards", particularly Cosey, whose overamplified lead guitar "whines and rumbles like a noisy machine shop" and relegates Lucas to background riffs."

Even now that sounds awesome.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived