250 Pages | SUMMERSLAM, SUMMERSLAM SADNESS

Jmerc

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a Cagney fan. Him & Brando(Aside from Charlie Chaplin. I wrote a paper on him for Drama in my freshman year) are the only real actors I've looked into and researched prior to anyone from the 60's onward. That's what I am looking forward to most. :D

Lmao.

High five! Cagney was a great actor, and probably one of my favorites overall, if not my favorite of the old era. He had so much charisma and was great as a tough guy, but he could also do a Broadway singer/vaudeville effortlessly. Brando was also great in A Streetcar Named Desire, I have to watch more movies of him and Cagney. What are your favorite films from them?

It's true though. I watch Bollywood, but good lord I can find so many things to criticize. Like, how an instrument all of the sudden appeared in someone's hands out of nowhere.

Yeah, he's super versatile. Overall it's Public Enemy, White heat or Angles with Dirty Faces for Cagney and The Wild One, On The Waterfront or A Streetcar Named Desire for Brando.

I've never watched any Bollywood. :lol: Any movies that you'd recommend?

G Men was great too, it showed Cagney in a positive light as a tough guy. Yankee Doodle Dandy probably trumps it though, but that's probably because he did the movie after years of being a tough guy.

Depends. Do you want pure entertainer, shitloads of songs, old films, classic films, or good films that make sense?

I actually haven't watched Yankee Doodle Dandy yet, but it's near the top of my to-watch list.

One of each maybe? :lol:

I am a Cagney fan. Him & Brando(Aside from Charlie Chaplin. I wrote a paper on him for Drama in my freshman year) are the only real actors I've looked into and researched prior to anyone from the 60's onward. That's what I am looking forward to most. :D

Lmao.

High five! Cagney was a great actor, and probably one of my favorites overall, if not my favorite of the old era. He had so much charisma and was great as a tough guy, but he could also do a Broadway singer/vaudeville effortlessly. Brando was also great in A Streetcar Named Desire, I have to watch more movies of him and Cagney. What are your favorite films from them?

It's true though. I watch Bollywood, but good lord I can find so many things to criticize. Like, how an instrument all of the sudden appeared in someone's hands out of nowhere.

Yeah, he's super versatile. Overall it's Public Enemy, White heat or Angles with Dirty Faces for Cagney and The Wild One, On The Waterfront or A Streetcar Named Desire for Brando.

G Men was great too, it showed Cagney in a positive light as a tough guy. Yankee Doodle Dandy probably trumps it though, but that's probably because he did the movie after years of being a tough guy.

Depends. Do you want pure entertainer, shitloads of songs, old films, classic films, or good films that make sense?

I actually haven't watched Yankee Doodle Dandy yet, but it's near the top of my to-watch list.

I'd recommend it, Cagney is so different from his tough guy portrayal and does the part so well. Even Cohen praised Cagney for representing him so well, but both started out so similarly and were in vaudeville first.

Pure Entertainer? Sholay and Dabangg. Sholay is one of my favorites, and I consider it one of the best. The music is great, and I love the songs and the story. Dabangg is hilarious as *Censored* and entertaining. Oh, I loved Don too.

Shitloads of songs? Not sure if you wanna do that, so I won't torture you with that. But if you must, Hum Kisise Kam Nahin and Yaadon Ki Baaraat

Old films? Awara, Shree 420, Aradhana, most Dilip Kumar movies, and almost all of Guru Dutt movies. many more too, but I kinda forgot. Wiki Raj Kapoor, Guru Dutt, and Dilip Kumar. I personally liked Bombay to Goa as well.

Good films that make sense? Most of 70s Amitabh Bachchan, specifically Deewaar, Zanjeer, and Saudagar. Loved Amar Akbar Anthony too. Some early 80s too, I guess? *Censored* gets annoying as *Censored* for me after that, but he started doin great movies again in the 21st century, so watch most of that too. Oh, Aamir Khan's movies in later career is awesome, like Dil Chahta Hai, Delhi Belly (kinda like American Pie xD), 3 Idiots (love this movie), and Andaaz Apna Apna in 90s. It's a great spoof comedy, but you won't get most of the reference, I guess. Akshay Kumar has done some great movies too, like Hera Pheri (so *censored*ing hilarious, Paresh Rawal was the best xD), OMG, and... that's all I can remember for now. But I loved Khiladi, Main Khiladi Tu Anari, and Suhaag. Shah Rukh Khan annoys the jew outta me, but I loved Swades. There are more too, but I forgot.

And holy shit, I went overboard with the recommendations!

Lmao.

I'd recommend it, Cagney is so different from his tough guy portrayal and does the part so well. Even Cohen praised Cagney for representing him so well, but both started out so similarly and were in vaudeville first.

Pure Entertainer? Sholay and Dabangg. Sholay is one of my favorites, and I consider it one of the best. The music is great, and I love the songs and the story. Dabangg is hilarious as *Censored* and entertaining. Oh, I loved Don too.

Shitloads of songs? Not sure if you wanna do that, so I won't torture you with that. But if you must, Hum Kisise Kam Nahin and Yaadon Ki Baaraat

Old films? Awara, Shree 420, Aradhana, most Dilip Kumar movies, and almost all of Guru Dutt movies. many more too, but I kinda forgot. Wiki Raj Kapoor, Guru Dutt, and Dilip Kumar. I personally liked Bombay to Goa as well.

Good films that make sense? Most of 70s Amitabh Bachchan, specifically Deewaar, Zanjeer, and Saudagar. Loved Amar Akbar Anthony too. Some early 80s too, I guess? *Censored* gets annoying as *Censored* for me after that, but he started doin great movies again in the 21st century, so watch most of that too. Oh, Aamir Khan's movies in later career is awesome, like Dil Chahta Hai, Delhi Belly (kinda like American Pie xD), 3 Idiots (love this movie), and Andaaz Apna Apna in 90s. It's a great spoof comedy, but you won't get most of the reference, I guess. Akshay Kumar has done some great movies too, like Hera Pheri (so *censored*ing hilarious, Paresh Rawal was the best xD), OMG, and... that's all I can remember for now. But I loved Khiladi, Main Khiladi Tu Anari, and Suhaag. Shah Rukh Khan annoys the jew outta me, but I loved Swades. There are more too, but I forgot.

And holy shit, I went overboard with the recommendations!

Nice! :D Makes me even more excited to watch it. I am going to be getting a Laserdisc Player and I am going to get a bunch of Cagney films to watch on it first. Yankee Doodle Dandy is probably going to be the first I'll buy.

Thanks Milap! Veru much appreciated. I'll be sure to watch them all so your effort isn't wasted, lol.

Oh, check out Raajneeti too. It's a tribute to Godfather but done pretty well. Sarkar is apparently also a tribute, but I didn't really care that much about it. Good luck and have fun watching the Hindi movies. \o Oh, and Mera Naam Joker. Longest *censored*ing movie ever, but I thought it was done well. Makes me think Raj Kapoor is a lech though.

Oh, and if you want family movies, Hum Aapke Hain Koun and Hum Saath Saath Hain are great choices Maine Pyar Kiya too, I guess? Apparently Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol are great pairings, but I prefer Aamir Khan and Kajol. Watch SRK and Kajol movies, I guess. Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge is arguably the most popular movie worldwide for reasons I cannot comprehend. Oh, I loved Tridev as an action movie too. Watch Parinda as well, it's a good gangster movie. Anil Kapoor's movies in the early 80s and 90s were pretty good, he's a great actor.

So yeah, good luck. :s

Oh, great way to break in your Laserdisc! Have you seen the Indiana Jones trilogy?

Oh, and Mohra too. You'll see what I mean by unrealistic in few scenes, but I love it nonetheless. Raveena + Akshay pairing is the best pairing in the 90s and so much better than SRKajol shit.

High five! The third movie was probably my favorite, I loved Indiana Jones and his father together, they were hilarious. :lol: The series is awesome, and I thought the fourth movie got too much hate.

I loved the waterfall scene where everyone was panicking while Marion was calmly driving them off the cliff. Then them going down three times. :lol: Lot of scenes were funny!

I agree, I liked Shia as Mutt. Wouldn't have minded them focusing on religion though, it was always interesting. Until the Fourth, I thought the Temple of Doom was the weakest of the trilogy. Man, we've had great series in the 80s, like Star Wars (though 77?) and Die Hard. Now, we have Twilight. >:(

Archived