LuisTX85

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Official patch notes for 6/1/15:

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Latest-Updates/bg-p/UpdateBlog

• D’Vorah – Reduced damage of F4,4 by 2
  • D’Vorah (Swarm Queen) – Increased combo damage scaling after Wasp Grenade
  • Erron Black - Tackle is now -2 on hit (down from +20)
  • Erron Black (Outlaw) – Sand Toss / Sand Throw has 5 more recovery frames
  • Jason – Corpse Grab / Slam should no longer sometimes trade with jumping attacks
  • Jacqui – Adjusted many hitboxes to connect & combo more consistently
  • Kenshi – Slightly easier to juggle after Rising Sword / Sword Dance
  • Kenshi – 1 has 9 startup frames (down from 11)
  • Kenshi – 1,1,4 can no longer be special canceled
  • Kenshi – D1 has 8 startup frames (down from 9)
  • Kenshi (Balanced) – Spirit Charge / Push has 2 more active frames & more pushback on block
  • Kenshi (Balanced) – Tele-Flurry / Tele-Beatdown is now -9 on block (up from -24)
  • Kenshi (Possessed) – Reduced the hitbox on Sickle Lift
  • Kenshi (Possessed) – Demon Assault / Demon Fury is now -23 on block (up from -33)
  • Kenshi (Possessed) – Soul Push / Charge now has 11 startup frames (down from 14)
  • Kenshi (Possessed) – Demon Slam / Drop is now -6 on block (up from -21)
  • Kenshi (Kenjutsu) – Increased Tele-Slam damage by 5
  • Kenshi (Kenjutsu) – Increased Tele-Toss / Strikes damage by 3
  • Kenshi (Kenjutsu) - Tele-Push / Blast now has 12 startup frames (down from 15) & is -13 on block (up from -9)
  • Kenshi (Kenjutsu)—Tele-dash toss is now a high block.
  • Kitana – Increased Rising Fan / Rising Blades damage by 2
  • Kitana – B1 has 9 startup frames (down from 16)
  • Kitana – B1,2 is now +1 on block (down from +2)
  • Kitana – B1,4 is now -4 on block (down from +1)
  • Kitana – Adjusted the hitbox on f1 to connect more consistently
  • Kotal Kahn (Blood God) – Increased effectiveness of Obsidian & Blood Totems
  • Kotal Kahn (Blood God) – Totems have 5 less recovery frames
  • Kotal Kahn – Air Takedown / Anti-Air Throw should no longer sometimes trade with jumping attacks
  • Kotal Kahn (Sun God) - Soul Scorch / Soul Scorch have 5 less recovery frames
  • Kotal Kahn (Sun God) - God Choke (all 3 levels) damage increased by 3
  • Kotal Kahn (Sun God) – God Choke (all 3 levels) increased hit advantage by 10
  • Mileena – 1 has 11 startup frames (down from 14)
  • Mileena – D1 has 9 startup frames (down from 11)
  • Mileena – 2 has 8 startup frames (down from 10)
  • Mileena – adjusted hitbox on b3 to hit more consistently
  • Raiden – F1 is now a high
  • Takeda – 1 has 9 startup frames (down from 11)
  • Takeda – D1 has 8 startup frames (down from 10)
  • Takeda (Lasher) - Low Slash is now -19 on block (down from -24)
  • Takeda (Lasher) - Whip Trip / Flip is now -11 on block (down from -21)

I don't see a problem with Raiden tbh. He's a very good character, I just don't see anything that needs nerfing on him.

I don't understand nerfing Sub Zero in the first place. I thought he was a difficult and straightforward character to play as/against in general. He's not that hard to figure out from his specials and normals. People just complained about the Grandmaster variation's Ice Clone being so OP, which I NEVER thought it was.

Kotal kinda needed it, tbf, his other variations are trash with the exception of War God.

Not sure why Erron needed a slight nerf, though.

Kenshi really needed a *censored*ing buff, jfc.

Raiden builds meter way too fast and is probably the best character in the game. Also a lot of good 50/50 options to start combos, big damage on combos, one of the hardest characters to zone, a good option select, and is pretty much guaranteed to get you in the corner every time he touched you in neutral. Either Thunder God Raiden of Drone Sonya is the best character in the game right now.

Erron Black probably needed the nerf. I'm not sure if it's the character being ridiculously good or the player but SonicFox has won everything so far with Erron. Definitely wouldn't nerf him over Raiden or Sonya though.

And they really need to revert the Sub nerf, he is ass cheeks now after only being above average to begin with. Why nerf a gimmick that's easy to play around and leave so much real cheap bullshit in the game that you can do nothing about.

Changing his F1 will change something for Raiden, but he'll still have all the tools he has to build meter fast. I do agree that he's one of the best in the game right now though, he's not my main but he's very fun to play with and is a problem if you don't know what the *Censored* you're doing against him. Thunder God is his best variation, too. Displacer and Master of Storms are fun but require a lot of setup mid matches.

I haven't tried Drone Sonya, but I love her Covert Ops variation.

I never really had a problem with Erron, he has some unsafe strings and normals on startup that you can block, but his special throw I didn't have a damn problem with. Maybe people were complaining.

A lot of people on TYM and r/MortalKombat are hating what they're doing to Sub too. He was already hard and somewhat predictable, but you shouldn't nerf the tools that helped him when he's already not that great of a char to begin with.

I'm really happy for a D'vorah nerf, though, I can never beat that character or read her.

Mileena, Kenshi and Takeda aren't the only ones with slow normals/combos who need fixing, though. I'm happy as a Mileena user because she's so *censored*ing easy to block and read because her strings are so easy to read.

Scorpion comes out unscathed again. :dance: Let's hope it stays that way. I know a lot of people complain about him but I think his frame data and moves are fine, albeit being limited and predictable at times.

I just think Scorpion is lame. Like boring, he's vanilla as *Censored*. Nothing really exciting about him, just a basic MK character. He's fine balance wise though.

And Erron Black just has insane 50/50 mixups that lead to huge damage combos. Again, not sure if the character is actually that ridiculous or if he's just reaping the benefits of having the best player in the world main him and advance his tech super fast. Either way he obviously has great tools.

Ermac is also looking like a top 5 contender now.

Nerfing Raiden is reasonable.

vJwxpk.gif

As a Kenshi co-main who also plays Ermac, I am delighted. Not sure what to feel about Reptile being overlooked again. His obvious drawback is low damage output but buffing his damage could possibly make Nimble OP. Tanya during her reveal was casually performing combos which had more damage than Reptile's more difficult ones, which was depressing.

By the way, I'm still fairly new to the mechanics of fighting games so I don't fully understand 50/50 mixups. How do you determine if a character has good 50/50 mixups? For instance, I can see how Raiden could be a problem from the gif but not exactly pinpoint why in terms of fighting jargon.

Out of curiosity, what characters do you all main now?

My lineup is Reptile as a perennial main, Kenshi as a co-main or secondary, and Ermac and Shinnok as reserves I'm currently experimenting with.

vJwxpk.gif

As a Kenshi co-main who also plays Ermac, I am delighted. Not sure what to feel about Reptile being overlooked again. His obvious drawback is low damage output but buffing his damage could possibly make Nimble OP. Tanya during her reveal was casually performing combos which had more damage than Reptile's more difficult ones, which was depressing.

By the way, I'm still fairly new to the mechanics of fighting games so I don't fully understand 50/50 mixups. How do you determine if a character has good 50/50 mixups? For instance, I can see how Raiden could be a problem from the gif but not exactly pinpoint why in terms of fighting jargon.

My lineup is Reptile as a perennial main, Kenshi as a co-main or secondary, and Ermac and Shinnok as reserves I'm currently experimenting with.

To understand 50/50s you just need to understand how blocking works. In MKX (and most fighting games) you have 4 types of attacks. Low, Mid, High, and Overheads. Mids and Highs can be blocked either standing or crouching as long as you are holding block. However, you can not block low attacks while standing and you can't block overheads while crouched. What this means is that characters who have a lot of good options in both Lows and overheads are very good at breaking an opponents block. I have been mostly playing injustice recently so I have forgotten a lot of character specific stuff in MK but iirc Shinnok or somebody has mostly overhead/high moves to start his combos, which means that if you just always stand block against him you will get the block the majority of the time. While characters like Raiden and Erron Black have a ton of great options low and overhead to start combos which is essentially makes the defender guess (with a 50/50 chance of being right/wrong) whether the Erron is going to try to start low or overhead. What is even better than just having those options is having multiple options out of the same starting string. For example, I believe Erron has both a 112 and a 113 where the 2 goes overhead and the 3 goes low. This means you can't even block off of reaction to recognizing the starting string, you still have to guess the 50/50.

And yeah that entire tournament Dizzy made Raiden look like he may very well have pretty much infinites in the corner. Which is pretty bullshit considering how free it is for Raiden to put you in the corner.

Tanya is a very complex character to learn. She has decent mixups but her combos are hard to do. Overall, she isn't too bad. Her variations make her stand out so much, each one is way *censored*ing different than the other. The one I like the most is Dragon Naginata and Kobu Jutsu.

She's got great frame data, too.

Im quite enjoying Tanya which is a surprise since I never did in the past and I agree with what was said about her above but ill be sticking to Pyromancer and Dragon Naginata. DN has an amazing range. Her swing kick special can easily reach across the screen to the opponent and keep you distant and her staff stance attacks (with fun set ups by air teleport) are a blast to pull off. Im working with Pyromancer because of the similarity I see in it with Johnny Cage.

vJwxpk.gif

To understand 50/50s you just need to understand how blocking works. In MKX (and most fighting games) you have 4 types of attacks. Low, Mid, High, and Overheads. Mids and Highs can be blocked either standing or crouching as long as you are holding block. However, you can not block low attacks while standing and you can't block overheads while crouched. What this means is that characters who have a lot of good options in both Lows and overheads are very good at breaking an opponents block. I have been mostly playing injustice recently so I have forgotten a lot of character specific stuff in MK but iirc Shinnok or somebody has mostly overhead/high moves to start his combos, which means that if you just always stand block against him you will get the block the majority of the time. While characters like Raiden and Erron Black have a ton of great options low and overhead to start combos which is essentially makes the defender guess (with a 50/50 chance of being right/wrong) whether the Erron is going to try to start low or overhead. What is even better than just having those options is having multiple options out of the same starting string. For example, I believe Erron has both a 112 and a 113 where the 2 goes overhead and the 3 goes low. This means you can't even block off of reaction to recognizing the starting string, you still have to guess the 50/50.

And yeah that entire tournament Dizzy made Raiden look like he may very well have pretty much infinites in the corner. Which is pretty bullshit considering how free it is for Raiden to put you in the corner.

Yeah, as someone who frequently plays Shinnok online, it's troublesome when you encounter a smart opponent who blocks every attack of yours. However, I think he has a mixup after the Mimic. Thanks for explaining the concept to me. I looked up numerous guides but they assumed you were already quite knowledgeable about the mechanics of fighting games.

Incidentally, what do you think of Reptile? He's an ambiguous character. People can't decide whether he's a potential top 10, solid mid, or bottom five.

Meh, Reptile is pretty average I think. He has a pretty good neutral that can make up for his lack of big damage. What people aren't accounting for though is he can get big damage in the corner in either Nimble or with his Noxious dot if you combine it with an acid puddle. If he was buffed to get more damage he'd be top 5 imo so it's just up to NRS whether they want him to be top 5 or not. I'm personally fine with him where he is.

And who is that in your sig? I'm like 90% sure I made someone a sig of him a while back.

Meh, Reptile is pretty average I think. He has a pretty good neutral that can make up for his lack of big damage. What people aren't accounting for though is he can get big damage in the corner in either Nimble or with his Noxious dot if you combine it with an acid puddle. If he was buffed to get more damage he'd be top 5 imo so it's just up to NRS whether they want him to be top 5 or not. I'm personally fine with him where he is.

And who is that in your sig? I'm like 90% sure I made someone a sig of him a while back.

He's kinda hard to use online because you have to be fairly precise with your timing on his combos, even in the slowdown mode. He's really fun to play with in single player.

Archived