Getting Fit & Healthier

JustJeds

Okay, so lately, I've been feeling really unhealthy. I just always feel like I have no energy, I constantly find myself eating junk food. So, I've taken it upon myself to decide a change needs to be made. I'm going to start eating healthier, and get myself fit. I'm going to try and stop eating so much junk food, and eat more fruit, vegetables, and overall just healthier meals. I am going to start going to the gym with my friend in the summer, as he wants too lose weight, where as I want to tone up. I haven't weighed myself in a while, but the last time I did I believe I was around 10 stone (which is like 140 lbs or something, right?) So anyway, I want to tone myself up, and lose a little weight in the process, because I feel like I've put a bit on. The only exercise I really do in the week, is when I sometimes go out and do some football with friends (only occasionally), but we do it every Friday (and have done since around November 2012 I believe.) So anyways..

I want to start getting fitter and stronger, and was wondering if any of you guys have any tips or suggestions for me? Even exercises/challenges I could do, or videos to help along the way? and has anyone here went through this before, constantly feeling unhealthy, and just decided to make a change?

Anything is much appreciated, and thanks for the read :)

Only drink water. I completely cut out all sodas and sweet drinks last year and makes you feel so much better.

No diets (just change the way you eat).

Try to have vegetables with every meal you consume, and eat at least 5 servings of fruit a day. Be consistent at the gym and with your eating habits. Lots of cardio if you want to lose fat and some light to heavy lifting will help you tone up, you should be able to find some basic workout plans on Google for toning/fat loss. Use your partner as motivation and be his motivation too.

Only drink water. I completely cut out all sodas and sweet drinks last year and makes you feel so much better.

Try to have vegetables with every meal you consume, and eat at least 5 servings of fruit a day. Be consistent at the gym and with your eating habits. Lots of cardio if you want to lose fat and some light to heavy lifting will help you tone up, you should be able to find some basic workout plans on Google for toning/fat loss. Use your partner as motivation and be his motivation too.

Thanks for the advice, will be useful. Is flavoured water okay too?

This. I did this as well, it made a world of difference. I personally cut off a few pounds by cutting sodas out alone.

Don't know if flavoring the water makes a difference or not, but I do know that, in my experience, if you start the day with water, its easier to drink water the rest of the day. If my first beverage is anything but water, its so much harder to drink water later.

Start out slow when you start exercising, and do it in the morning. Start with like 30 minutes a day and as you get used to it and becomes easier, bump it up to 45-60 minutes. Keep pushing yourself(but don't hurt yourself) and don't lose focus.

I've been working to get back in shape myself. It can be a pain in the ass, but it'll be worth it in the end. I run around the local track for 1 hour every weekday.

As far as eating goes, it's all about portion control. Smaller meals throughout the day is actually much better than 3 huge meals. You may want to cut down on fried foods though.

No more regular name brand soda. It'll be mainly water from this point forward. There is a soda alternative out there that doesn't have as many bad ingredients in it that allows you make yourself at home, but I still don't use it that much.

Weigh yourself twice a month at the most. If you weigh yourself too often, it's going to look like you're not making much progress and it might kill your motivation a bit. You don't want that.

Focus on your goal, and you will succeed. Good luck bro, rooting for ya :D

My main source of exercise is riding my bike which is also my main mode of transportation. So I would say ride a bike once a week. Even if you have a car you can still use your bike. You can ride with no destination in mind, ride it a certain amount of miles, and all of that sort of jazz.

Other then that I'd say drink more water and try to eat healthier.

Seriously, lately ive been on a majorly horrible diet consisting of me eating pizza rolls for lunch, scrambled egg sandwiches in morning, and peanut butter sandwich at dinner, and im somehow losing five to ten pounds week with some goung back up and etc in weight.

Start out slow when you start exercising, and do it in the morning. Start with like 30 minutes a day and as you get used to it and becomes easier, bump it up to 45-60 minutes. Keep pushing yourself(but don't hurt yourself) and don't lose focus.

I've been working to get back in shape myself. It can be a pain in the ass, but it'll be worth it in the end. I run around the local track for 1 hour every weekday.

As far as eating goes, it's all about portion control. Smaller meals throughout the day is actually much better than 3 huge meals. You may want to cut down on fried foods though.

No more regular name brand soda. It'll be mainly water from this point forward. There is a soda alternative out there that doesn't have as many bad ingredients in it that allows you make yourself at home, but I still don't use it that much.

Weigh yourself twice a month at the most. If you weigh yourself too often, it's going to look like you're not making much progress and it might kill your motivation a bit. You don't want that.

Focus on your goal, and you will succeed. Good luck bro, rooting for ya :D

Thanks bro :D and thanks for all the suggestions you guys!

If someone ever comes up to you and says, "yo you wanna lose weight? get on that treadmill, put it to level 6 (or whatever the walking speed is) and spend 1-2 hours on it everyday while you watch Netflix and you will be like Arnold", punch that guy in the face and in the nuts and never see his face again. *Censored* that guy...*Censored* him and *Censored* his stupid retarded shit. He thinks he is cool and knowledge because he was blessed with a fast metabolism and looks like a stick. Only thing that would probably do is make you lose any sort of Muscle mass you have and your body will look like a used up condom. (which you might mistake for weight loss but that's not what you want. Trust me, that is the wrong kind of weight you are going to lose and you will regret forever.)

Instead, this is what you do. First off, do a quick 5 mins cardio, whatever it maybe. Then, go and hit the weights (preferably free weights). Focus on proper form and high rep volume. Don't focus too much on weight as you are not trying to gain muscle at this time, you want to lose fat and tone up your muscles. Train whatever body part(s) you have picked for that day and once you are done, while your body is still in that fat burning zone, hit the Cardio for maximum benefit. Now, for this cardio, maximum of 25 mins. No more. I would avoid Treadmill because that is boring as *Censored* and contributes the most to muscle loss compared to other cardio exercises. But if you must, separate it from legs day for at least 48 hours (because all the effort put into the leg workout will be eventually lost during the cardio which heavily involves legs). Best Cardio exercises are Rowing, Elliptical bike, cycling or sprints, high knees etc. Mix them up. Now this the most important part so I'll bold it for you. For the duration of this post workout cardio, you are going to do what they call, Interval training. 30 seconds steady pace which barely challenges you and then the next 30 seconds, your best effort, the absolute max. You will get your rest during those 30 seconds steady to be ready for the next 30 seconds max effort. Repeat this for 25 mins Max. You should be sweating like a pig in the end.

Diet should be pretty obvious. Eliminate all the processed shit. Organic as much as possible. Decrease the Carbs intake. Increase the Protein Intake (retain muscles). Do eat unsaturated/healthy fat though, you will need it. If you do this right, don't be shocked if you lose around 9-15 pounds in the first two weeks. Good Luck!

Myth Busting

Hi there, you might remember my fitness thread I made two years ago. I'm no longer a personal trainer, but I still know my stuff. There is no such thing as toning up. There is losing weight, and gaining muscle. To get a toned appearance, you need to lower your body fat levels to the point you can see your muscles. Toning is a myth.

Diet

Secondly, you can drink and much water as you like and eat as healthily as you like, but you need to get your diet straight, in terms of calories. It's all calories in, calories out. You need to work out your BMR, AKA, the amount of calories you need to survive, for your body to function. For example, I'm 5ft 10, 170. I need around 1,900 calories just to survive each day, if I were to lie in bed and literally do nothing, I would need 1,900 calories. On top of this, you need to estimate your activity, I'm quite active, and according to my Nike Fuel band, I burn 1,200 calories per day through activity. Activity such as walking, running and going to the gym. So, to maintain my current weight, I need 3,100 calories. To lose weight, I need to lower the calories per day, or increase my activity. To gain weight, I need to increase the calories I consume on the daily, or reduce my activity.

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiifvwf9Mx_1DNvEDJr0YA6YDv6RuR4dI

This is in fact false.

http://examine.com/faq/do-i-need-to-eat-six-times-a-day-to-keep-my-metabolism-high.html

• 2 weeks later...

There's an app (and website), called myfitnesspal, it helps you track your calories and what you eat (They have many foods in their database, so you just have to select what you've eaten ). I lost like 5 kg in two months thanks to it, you should try it out.

Soo I have a ? Maybe somebody here can help me out.

In the past week I've stopped drinking anything other than milk tea and water, walk about 2 miles every other day and I don't eat fast food at all anymore, but yet I've GAINED 3 pounds. Diet wise I'm not sure what to eat I just know what not to eat and it's not big portions at all. So why would I gain weight?

Soo I have a ? Maybe somebody here can help me out.

In the past week I've stopped drinking anything other than milk tea and water, walk about 2 miles every other day and I don't eat fast food at all anymore, but yet I've GAINED 3 pounds. Diet wise I'm not sure what to eat I just know what not to eat and it's not big portions at all. So why would I gain weight?

Are you feeling well? If you do, then the weight doesn't matter. Healthier =/= losing weight.

Archived