Anyone With (Basic) Carpentry Knowledge?

Astro Zombie

Just a couple of questions that hopefully someone can answer for me. I did a bit of this stuff in school but never enough to say definitively.

I have a large DVD/Video Game/etc collection that I need to store. I have been using some storage shelves I bought at Wal Mart but they've become full and I'm running out of space to put them. Did some research and found that I could make my own for around the price of one of those shelves I bought.

Following this basic plan --- http://ptjudgmentday.tumblr.com/post/41353850360/diy-shelf-for-blu-rays-dvds

I'm using 1x6 for the shelves themselves rather than 1x3 because I want a shelf to hold the full DVD. Sizing it a little differently as well. It's going to be around 72" (6 ft) high (Though I'm considering making it 7') and 44" across. My calculations (Based on a 6ft. height) tell me that this unit would hold 702 standard size DVD/Game cases.

- Would it be necessary to use 2x6 boards for the frame for additional support along with the brace (Planning to use another 1x6 for that) or would it be fine using 1x6 for everything?

- Would this unit be safe without being mounted to a wall? My plan was to have it freestanding because (a) I live in a rental house and would like to avoid mounting/securing in case there's a problem) and (b) I have no idea how to find the beams in my walls. Would it be supported just fine on the sides and brace or would it be a good idea to add "feet" to the bottom of them to give them a broader base? Don't want to come home one day to find my collection on the floor.

- Not necessary but out of curiosity - Is it possible to buy proper backing for this? Like, the kind of stuff you typically have when putting together a dresser or bookshelf? If so what's it called?

That's all I can think of. I can provide more info if necessary.

Using 2X6s fer the top an bottom would make it a bit more stable I would imagine.

If ya wanted to mount it or at least secure it to the wall studs are 16 inches apart(way to remember is 16 on center), the best way to find em is look fer anything else that is nailed into the wall, like any type of trim then use a tape measure an measure 16 inches, put Yer screws or nails there.

Figuring all this stuff is half the fun of making your own furniture man but I'll try and help.

2x6 at the base would give it a wider base and probably make it more stable.

You can usually hear the difference between where the studs are and aren't if you knock on the wall. Solid wood vs empty space ya know but I don't know the more precise way.

If you aren't worried about it falling over you don't need to secure it really, but if you do make sure it's into the wall studs or it will cause a lot of damage. Just build it and secure it if you are worried about it falling over, although I have never secured a cabinet to the wall and I've also never had one fall over although they wobble sometimes.

Also for the backing you can use plywood/mdf or something cheaper seeing as you won't see it. I have a tv cabinet I built with an thin mdf backing and it looks fine.

Don't take my word as gospel though because it's been a year or two since I've done anything.

My plan for the base was to just have the sides holding it up, along with the back support. Plan in my head is to have the first shelf 3" off of the ground. I'm assuming that would give it a solid enough base because with shelves going all the way up I don't see much purpose in a board connecting the sides on the floor. The alternate plan I had for the bottom were to put "feet" on the sides. I'm not sure of the proper term though I'm sure there is one. It's just what my teacher always called it in school. Essentially I was going to attach a small 2x6 to the bottom to make a upside-down "T" shape.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived