Favorite Live Performances

sam the d00d

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UhT6LAPtE4

Still get goosebumps from this performance. His best concert I swear!

Now you're making me want to pop in the DVD and watch it. :lol:

Do it! Me and my family watched the entire dvd this Thanksgiving! Fun times. :)

Nice. :D I most likely will.

:laugh: Do you have a favorite performance from the dvd?

Dirty Diana or Human Nature.

Dirty Diana or Human Nature.

I've always loved his emotion on Dirty Diana live.

• 1 month later...

My friend showed this to me as a joke. Like "Hey check out this shitty band that played on Letterman". But like I actually ended up really digging it. It's *censored*ing hilarious, but the guy's genuinely a great *censored*ing singer and the song is a kick ass pop song. Their frontman's looks like Clint Howard and is insanely based. I just really love this performance, it's genuinely amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK4lD3Uf8_o

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't think Napalm Death would draw inspiration from Gira. But at the same time, I'm not even a little bit surprised.

Its not like "I'm listening to ND, and I can hear the Gira inspiration" but when you get down to the more carnal aspects of the music it becomes apparent rather quickly. The emotion, the attitude, the ethic of creation, the sense of sonic assault. Swans (at least pre-1997) always seemed like concerts were "Swans vs The Fans" and that kind of animosity and brutality carried over VERY well into genres like grind(core), thrash, and even a lot of modern hardcore and hardcore punk.

I didn't think Napalm Death would draw inspiration from Gira. But at the same time, I'm not even a little bit surprised.

Its not like "I'm listening to ND, and I can hear the Gira inspiration" but when you get down to the more carnal aspects of the music it becomes apparent rather quickly. The emotion, the attitude, the ethic of creation, the sense of sonic assault. Swans (at least pre-1997) always seemed like concerts were "Swans vs The Fans" and that kind of animosity and brutality carried over VERY well into genres like grind(core), thrash, and even a lot of modern hardcore and hardcore punk.

That makes sense, actually. Being honest though, I never liked Gira or the approach he has to music and performing. He seems like a giant dick, being caught up with himself. Although I do know he had a weird life, so I guess that shaped him quite strongly. I really wanna dislike him and his work, but I can't help but appreciate Swans and I very much do enjoy their albums. Not necessarily for their sonical merrit (I know a shit ton of people disregard them for not putting out the most skillful or refined musical work) but definitely for their artistic (or what I perceive as artistic) value. Their albums are definitely an experience of their own.

That makes sense, actually. Being honest though, I never liked Gira or the approach he has to music and performing. He seems like a giant dick, being caught up with himself. Although I do know he had a weird life, so I guess that shaped him quite strongly. I really wanna dislike him and his work, but I can't help but appreciate Swans and I very much do enjoy their albums. Not necessarily for their sonical merrit (I know a shit ton of people disregard them for not putting out the most skillful or refined musical work) but definitely for their artistic (or what I perceive as artistic) value. Their albums are definitely an experience of their own.

He is a touch too "avant-garde" for his own good, but I, for one, respect him greatly if only for having been creating music almost constantly since the early 80's. Granted, I much more prefer post-2009 swans to pre-1997, but for a fan of industrial, progressive, noisy or just plain strange music, his work is a must listen.

Archived