Favorite Live Performances

sam the d00d

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who doesn't like a bit of Zeuhl?

heh...

So far out.

Magma is a French progressive rock band founded in Paris in 1969 by classically trained drummer Christian Vander, who claimed as his inspiration a "vision of humanity's spiritual and ecological future" that profoundly disturbed him. In the course of their first album, the band tells the story of a group of people fleeing a doomed Earth to settle on the planet Kobaïa. Later, conflict arises when the Kobaïans—descendants of the original colonists—encounter other Earth refugees.

Vander invented a constructed language, Kobaïan, in which most lyrics are sung. In a 1977 interview with Vander and long-time Magma vocalist Klaus Blasquiz, Blasquiz said that Kobaïan is a "phonetic language made by elements of the Slavonic and Germanic languages to be able to express some things musically. The language has of course a content, but not word by word." Vander himself has said that, "When I wrote, the sounds [of Kobaïan] came naturally with it—I didn’t intellectualise the process by saying 'Ok, now I’m going to write some words in a particular language', it was really sounds that were coming at the same time as the music." Later albums tell different stories set in more ancient times; however, the Kobaïan language remains an integral part of the music.

I might have a bootleg that has that Asleep live performance. Or at least one that has a soundcheck where, if I remember right, they run through Asleep and Half A Person. I remember reading about it ages ago that they rolled into some city and found a piano off the stage so they decided to do the song. They couldn't move the piano so Johnny was playing the piano off stage.

Edit - Was actually Asleep and Unloveable live at Inverness Eden Court Theater in 1985

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpPBllP2AoQ

• 2 weeks later...

Archived