Favorite Live Performances

sam the d00d

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On my phone so cant link vid, but;

Metallica Live in Moscow 1991(0)? The gig with like 2 million people in the crowd was one of their best. I love it when Jason Newstead sings the Creeping Death chorus.

Nirvana at Reading Festival whatever year it was (94?)

Tenacious D at Download Fest' 2012. Simply because I was there. It was their first show for their new album and hadn't performed a full set in something like 5 years.

Pantera at Ozzfest in 2000?

Also Metallica's secret set at Orion Fest' (their own festival.) they billed themselves really low down on the lineup with a different name in a small ass tent and they played their entire first album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5aPBU34Fyk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy-3aPvYkkA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJEL6b9Z78w

22 December 1988
Wolverhampton Civic Hall

Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before
Disappointed
Interesting Drug
Suedehead
The Last Of The Famous International Playboys
Sister I'm A Poet
Death At One's Elbow
/Sweet And Tender Hooligan

This first solo Morrissey show was also unofficially meant as a farewell Smiths concert. The musicians backing Morrissey were ex-Smiths Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke, as well as once Smiths #5 Craig Gannon filling in as lead guitarist. The setlist featured a mix of Morrissey songs with Smiths tracks from 1987, so none of it had been performed in front of a live audience before. It had been decided at the time to only play Smiths tracks that had never been done live with Johnny during the Smiths days.

Admission was free to anyone wearing a Smiths or Morrissey shirt. Only half the fans who traveled to Wolverhampton made it inside the venue. Outside the queuing and organisation almost turned to chaos. The atmosphere inside was obviously very charged. There was a great deal of cheering and chanting Morrissey's name to the English football tune. Throughout the short set many fans made it on stage, much more than for a typical Smiths concert.

Morrissey came on stage to a thunder of applause, after a long period of cheering and chanting. In the first song, "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before", he sang "And so I drank one, or was it four?" instead of "... it became four". He actually sang that line as it had been originally written and not as it appeared on "Strangeways Here We Come". Before "Interesting Drug" which had yet to be released and was unknown to the fans, Morrissey started "This song is called..." but never managed to finish his introduction. In that song just like in the previous one, "Disappointed", Morrissey missed many lines because of the mayhem with the fans on stage.

Just before "Suedehead", as the band was waiting for Craig Gannon to be ready, Mike Joyce teased the fans with a few notes of the drum intro to "The Queen Is Dead" (the song would not be performed by Morrissey for another 9 years) and Morrissey told the audience "love you all". Morrissey changed the "oh so many illustrations" line in "Suedehead" to "Oh so many blank pages". Before "The Last Of The Famous International Playboys" he started "I'd like to say hello..." but did not finish his line and instead introduced the next song.

Before "Death At One's Elbow" Morrissey finally managed to say what he had originally started: "I'd like to say hello to Julian and hello to Mouse, your mother's letter arrived today, she has a good hand...". Morrissey changed a line in the latter number from "you'll slip on the trail of my bespattered remains" to "you'll slip on the trail of all of my entrails". After that number and its final lines "Goodbye my love, goodbye my love", Morrissey just said "goodbye" and everyone left the stage. They were called back with much insistence and performed one more song, a very rocking "Sweet And Tender Hooligan".

The backstage passes on this date featured famous Carry On actor Charles Hawtrey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azmOjnTg3Zg

Morrissey concerts were crazy. I need to watch some of his and Smiths ones. I also need to watch Nirvana's Reading concert.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSJg5EWBfQE

Despite the dead crowd I really enjoy this one. Sorry the video cuts out the last part. This was one of the first shows Against Me after Tom transitioned into Laura. A lot more energy than the studio version obviously. I love James Bowman's vocals which don't appear on the actual records too often.

• 3 weeks later...

Metallica at Glastonbury last night. Finally a metal band gets to play and headline the worlds most prestigious festival. And they NAILED it! For a band who weren't even announced until after tickets had been sold out they had a stellar show and the crowd, most of which aren't metal fans loved them. Mainly a set list of their most famous songs minus a couple awesome surprises like Creeping Death (:P) and Seek and Destroy, but they were all played to perfection.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived