WWE Tryout = Dog and Pony Show

AustinFan

WWE's biggest scam is inviting Ring of Honor talent to tryout camps.

Why does Kevin Steen need to “try out”? Steen has been wrestling 13 years, frequently performing on TV. There is endless video on Steen.

Does Steen have to demonstrate he can work “WWE style?” Isn’t whatever value Steen has contained in his existing style? Will Sting have to learn “WWE style”? At 55, after a 28-year career? Will Sting have to “try out”?

WWE lets ROH talent “try out” mostly to put them – and ROH – in their place. For every ROH performer that makes it, others get sent back to the minor league.

Worse yet, they go to TNA. The (American) Wolves are just another tag team. Not even. They have been made wholly unmemorable through no fault of their own.

Steen is intriguing.

I previously said Steen reminds me of a fan who won a contest. But I admit, he grows on you. He has a certain earnest quality that radiates given benefit of repeat viewing. His Wrestling Observer Newsletter “Best Brawler” awards duly noted, Steen’s brawling is overrated (but good).

Steen does, however, have an air of legitimacy, perhaps because he DOESN’T look the part.

Steen reportedly lost weight before his WWE tryout. That’s ironic on two levels:

*No matter how Steen looks, he’ll never look good enough by WWE standards.

*Steen is 29. He started wrestling when he was 16, and embraced the biz as his life’s work when he was 11. How did it take Steen this long to realize physique was important?

WWE is the only real company. That means anyone who wants a sniff has to participate in their dog and pony show.

But make no mistake, that’s exactly what it is.

On second thought, WWE’s biggest scam is not telling their employees what they get in lieu of eliminated PPV bonuses. Still no answers. That’s because not enough people are asking questions.

Evolution is back together. Another nostalgia pop. Evolution is so 10 years ago.

Credit: WrestleZone.com

http://www.wrestlezone.com/editorials/470683-wwe-tryout-dog-and-pony-show

A WWE tryout is essentially a job interview. Though they may know about you, they're going to interview you/watch your performance as if they have never seen your work. At a job interview, they have your resume in front of them, and at these tryouts they have your film fresh on the mind.

This guy just seems to be ranting.

WWE are a huge, global company who opperate in huge arenas, with full HD cameras and have a very specific way of shooting their in ring work. In addition to that, people such as Vince *censored*ing McMahon have very specific likes and dislikes which is understandable seeing as it's HIS company.

In addition to those things, by bringing someone in and giving them a try out you're giving them a chance to see if they can perform under pressure, seeing if they fit into the super corporate world of WWE, trying to assess their attitude, get them used to the WWE ring which has been documented as being harder and work with the trainers in NXT that will be preparing them for the big stage, guys such as The American Dream, Ricky Steamboat, Norman Smiley and other amazing workers of the past. Even if Steen doesn't get in, d'you not think he'll learn a lot from simply being around the performance centre and such great trainers?

Sometimes, 'trying out' seems silly, but honestly, who cares? WWE do things their way and that's the way they do it. Why would you sign a guy if he had a bad attitude, a poor medical history, was lacking in motivation, lacking vision, lacking passion or anything of that nature? You won't be able to tell that stuff from tapes of the indys and you may find out too late when you sign them, potentially costing the company money.

I feel that talent no matter where or how they've broke into the business should be treated and respected all the same, I don't think the same has happened to talent that made their names in the independents but I think and feel that's changed over the years.

Trying out isn't the same as what it used to mean years ago, imo.

WWE are a huge, global company who opperate in huge arenas, with full HD cameras and have a very specific way of shooting their in ring work. In addition to that, people such as Vince *censored*ing McMahon have very specific likes and dislikes which is understandable seeing as it's HIS company.

In addition to those things, by bringing someone in and giving them a try out you're giving them a chance to see if they can perform under pressure, seeing if they fit into the super corporate world of WWE, trying to assess their attitude, get them used to the WWE ring which has been documented as being harder and work with the trainers in NXT that will be preparing them for the big stage, guys such as The American Dream, Ricky Steamboat, Norman Smiley and other amazing workers of the past. Even if Steen doesn't get in, d'you not think he'll learn a lot from simply being around the performance centre and such great trainers?

Sometimes, 'trying out' seems silly, but honestly, who cares? WWE do things their way and that's the way they do it. Why would you sign a guy if he had a bad attitude, a poor medical history, was lacking in motivation, lacking vision, lacking passion or anything of that nature? You won't be able to tell that stuff from tapes of the indys and you may find out too late when you sign them, potentially costing the company money.

This is a very good post

I feel that talent no matter where or how they've broke into the business should be treated and respected all the same, I don't think the same has happened to talent that made their names in the independents but I think and feel that's changed over the years.

Trying out isn't the same as what it used to mean years ago, imo.

stop.

I was disagreeing with the article.

After all I've been hearing, it sounds like if you skip wrestling school, skip the indies, and go straight to NXT, you have a higher chance of appearing on Raw. Interesting. I'll have to try that... but tbh I'm going to go to wrestling school first anyway.

A WWE tryout is essentially a job interview. Though they may know about you, they're going to interview you/watch your performance as if they have never seen your work. At a job interview, they have your resume in front of them, and at these tryouts they have your film fresh on the mind.

This

Somebody is quite salty, and stupid. I believe this fine gentleman said it best.

So this guy basically took a couple of topics that don't relate in any way, and then wrote a shit article about it? Great. Maybe I should write something about NXT Superstars being used on the main show, and just underneath that, talk about global warming. Would probably make more sense than this one at least.

So this guy basically took a couple of topics that don't relate in any way, and then wrote a shit article about it? Great. Maybe I should write something about NXT Superstars being used on the main show, and just underneath that, talk about global warming. Would probably make more sense than this one at least.

He did the same with his commentary in WCW. Talked about 10 different topics at the same time that resulted in nothing. I'm not surprised his articles follow that same formula.

While I'm sure the talent scouts will watch tapes, the others present at tryouts, like Triple H or Vince etc, don't want to spend countless hours watching tapes so a tryout is an easy way for them to watch these guys. Plus there is a difference between watching tapes of people wrestling to 10 people in a crapily built ring filmed on a camera-phone, to watching them wrestle in a state-of-the-art performance centre. WWE needs the process as a better way to screen the guys themselves, too. Get a good feel for their personalities etc.

He mad

and this is a good example.

Archived