am I the only one who doesn't really want to see 2K

lilsting10

It's gonna take too much time to start from scratch. The series can't get all the issues fixed in one year. They should really have addressed the crotch blur issue. At least a work around where we can still make designs without attaching body parts. I believe that the crotch blur is like a decade old. Happy tenth anniversary! Money hungry developers!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing is, if they don't start from scratch then they will keep all the shit they have already for years and years to come, so we will have the same game with the same features for well over a decade. What game series does that?

Right.

Even Madden has improved more over time than WWE games. With Visual Concepts help, I think a lot of you will be surprised what can be done. There's no reason to believe this game won't look better than NBA2K14 on PS4.

People keep complaining about the visual quality being poor, or that there are old moves/old code from the ps1/ps2 era, and I just think ''so what?''. I'm not bothered if an old Chokeslam move has survived since WWF SmackDown 1 quite frankly, as it gives me another Chokeslam to use. For me these stopped being WWE games a long time ago, they were creation games with an in-game roster I never touched. In more recent years this has only gotten stronger as I could create my own arenas, title belts, special moves, logos, stories etc, and throw them all into my own universe. Only now instead of being all original CAWs, Universe Mode does let me live-out having a WCW game that's a bit more modern than bloody WCW Mayhem.

Much like I think that it's creation suites are not worth throwing under the bus for want of upgraded graphics or a new gameplay engine, I just want them to release one damn game which has everything in a working state. No CC servers freezing and dying and corrupting caws. No overuse of in-match elements by the AI (omg moments). No problems with resizing logos in create an arena mode. No freezing in Universe Mode. Just release one working 'SmackDown' game as a baseline, a sum of it's parts so to speak, and keep the CC server running for it. Then go-off and make a new engine and do whatever you want with future games, whilst I and others hang-out on a better SD games, with, say, more logo slots, 100 caw slots etc.

I'm at the point now where I'm in the camp in favor of them re-inventing the game from top to bottom. I want to see a fresh take on the WWE. I do however hope that if this were to happen, they consider the good aspects that the series had, and the potential it had for so many years, and carry them over. The creation suite in particular, which has been the lifeblood of the games for nigh on a decade now.

There are character creation modes in other games that are just as in-depth, if not better than the WWE games, but as I've never played any other 2K games I am quite concerned with how the creation modes will turn out.

The games have been the same forever, they NEED something new, not games modes, more shitty nostalgia, moves or a bigger roster. An actual change so it is boring stale rubbish an more. 12 = 13, haven't played 14 but I don't need to, 13=14.

11 was the last good one and they took everything good out of it, the weapon physics were like the best thing ever...

It needs to do something, whilst I buy for CAW mode I am open to a new engine, but I suspect they actually won't because they are still working with Yukes the last I heard. They were apparently working on a new engine for PS4/XB1, but I am skeptical because it is Yukes and the engine didn't change between PS2 to PS3/360. If 2K have a firmer hand on it than THQ did, then maybe kinks will mostly be worked out, I'll have to wait and see before I get excited either way.

I will not go onto a rant. I will not go onto a rant. I will not go onto a rant.

We really need a new engine. Looking at all of the new technology and gaming possibilities nowadays makes the WWE series look bad. I could go on and on with innovative ideas for the gameplay mechanics and other aspects of the WWE series that would most likely only be possible with a new engine. With the current WWE series engine, we have went as far as we can as far as "fluidity" goes. To move up that next staircase, we need the engine to be redesigned, not tweaked.

The games have been the same forever, they NEED something new, not games modes, more shitty nostalgia, moves or a bigger roster. An actual change so it is boring stale rubbish an more. 12 = 13, haven't played 14 but I don't need to, 13=14.

11 was the last good one and they took everything good out of it, the weapon physics were like the best thing ever...

Agreed with all of that, 2011 was the shit

One thing that bugged me about 14' was the CAW mode had barely any new stuff besides Superstars Heads.

They should include the hair or hard to make ring gear that a superstar had in the last game, like Yoshi Tatsu's hair, Gangrel's hair, Rikishi's attire, Usos hair, Hawk's hair, Mankind's mask and shirt, Scotty 2 Hotty's hair, I could go on.

They also removed a bunch of useful entrances, who needs Beth Phoenix or Billy Gunn's entrance when you have Jim Ross's.

People keep complaining about the visual quality being poor, or that there are old moves/old code from the ps1/ps2 era, and I just think ''so what?''.

Well then, in that case I say, respectfully, that you are part of the problem.

People like you are enabling and have enabled Yukes to fumble through lazily producing a mediocre year after year just as long as every single option you've previously had stays in tact. It's as if it's more important to you to be able to make your same guys the same way year after year, than for your 60$ purchase to be worth while.

What you don't understand I think is that the ancient technology used in the past WWE games is actually the bottleneck to real innovation in the Creation Suite. By leveraging new technoogy, sure you won't be able to make your CAWs exactly the way you used to, but they will look more authentic, have more personality and uniqueness than all your previous CAWs combined.

Basically the new tech is required to make any progress. If you don't want progress, why don't you just continue to play 2K14 into next year?

People keep complaining about the visual quality being poor, or that there are old moves/old code from the ps1/ps2 era, and I just think ''so what?''.

People like you are enabling and have enabled Yukes to fumble through lazily producing a mediocre year after year just as long as every single option you've previously had stays in tact. It's as if it's more important to you to be able to make your same guys the same way year after year, than for your 60$ purchase to be worth while.

What you don't understand I think is that the ancient technology used in the past WWE games is actually the bottleneck to real innovation in the Creation Suite. By leveraging new technoogy, sure you won't be able to make your CAWs exactly the way you used to, but they will look more authentic, have more personality and uniqueness than all your previous CAWs combined.

Basically the new tech is required to make any progress. If you don't want progress, why don't you just continue to play 2K14 into next year?

Depending on how 2K makes the creation suite, things could be even more in-depth than they ever were under THQ. Importing real images etc would be a great start. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Well said

I LIKE this guy. He knows what's up!

I'll be glad to be proven wrong, but I have ZERO confidence that a new graphics style or gameplay engine would lead to a creation suite on par or better than what we have currently. Every other non THQ/Yukes wrestling game that has had a different engine/graphics have had absolutely horrendus CAW Modes. TNA Impact looked great, bad CAW Mode, no create a moveset (you could only choose another wrestler's moveset). SHOWDOWN Legends Of Wrestling had 4v4 matches, and create a moveset, but you couldn't edit the colors of many attire pieces, had to clone a wrestler in order to edit them, and had a limited choice of attire pieces. WWE DOR 2 had horrendus loading times on each and every CAW part you selected. WWE RAW only let you recolor pre-made attire choices. This is to say NOTHING of all the other create modes that SD/SVR/WWE2K games have built-up over the years. They need to keep adding to the creation modes, match types and game modes (universe etc.), and fixing bugs. Pretty visuals aren't the be all-end all for everyone.

Don't tell me I'm part of the problem when you're essentially asking them to go back to square one; and who knows if we'd even 'get' half of the modes we do now, didn't EA or 2K just take-out custom logos from another game due to copywrite fears? Aren't those series based on simulating what's on TV each year, rather than pushing custom creations in general?

One, you're missing the point. Two, your signature is quite ironic in this regard.

lol old sig. but please explain the point if I am missing it. your point seems to be that by going with better graphics/new gameplay engine that the game will automatically be better, and even that the creation suite could be better. you can't prove such an ideal. My position is that a game with the current setup, just with less bugs/glitches/restrictions, and more/fixed creation suites/game modes/matche types would be a better situation to be in than a new engine/graphics style which would likely take us back to square one.

Lets face it we've never had that, there's always 'something' wrong with each yearly release because THQ would ram a new feature into the game and throw it out the door before testing it fully. They would improve it for 2-3 games before leaving it to stagnate; or they would simply remove it all together.

I actually don't think Yukes are lazy. I think THQ cram things into the game and don't support them, or they flip-flop on things and remove them only to add them later. You say that new tech is required to make any progress, and I disagree. When THQ redid the character models (or the moves enqine with thier new Predator Engine, can't remember which it was) they removed easily 400+ moves under the guise of them not working correctly with their new engine. Plain truth of the matter is that those moves did work just fine because they could be hacked-back-in. Only a select few like Hogan's leg drop or The Worm didn't work correctly.

They added 3D CAW Parts, but it came with a catch of the Points System. Now a CAW can't have hair, glasses, hat, bottoms, shoes tshirt and a jacket at the same time, something always has to be sacrificed. And soon after came the CAW Layering System. Hair and Facepaints can't go over Masks, Mask Designs can't go beneath Facepaints, it's rediculous. Many of the hair pieces which looked fine in the PS2 era went really weird on PS3/360 because they were ''too 3D'', or they fit the head/fell over the face in a weird-looking way. New tech isn't always a good thing.

Well no. The problem is that they kept piece mealing new parts on top of the ancient engine. Essentially building a game that is a sloppy amalgam of old things mixed in with new.

I don't think you understand that the games not working, being riddled with bugs and other problems are exactly the problem of marrying incompatible things. Building a whole new set of art, textures, animations, AI routines, and physics will ELIMINATE THE OLD BUGS. Now they certainly have to play test for new bugs, but all the old nonsense will be gone.

You do realize that a new stronger engine will lift *all* of these restrictions, right? It's much better to start from scratch then to try to continually patch up and already patched to death product.

Let me give you a real world example so that you understand better. Justin Gabriel Tweeted that he was getting his face scanned in for the game, so we KNOW they're using that.

http://www.justpushstart.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/WWE-2K15-Justin-Gabriel.jpg

So, right out the gate, we see they are using a powerful tool that, *especially* in a new engine would and will do wonders for Creation Suite. Scan in 100 faces for CAW mode and already you have eliminated "that face". You KNOW what THAT FACE is. The face that regardless of hair and attire you can spot on 70+% of all CAWS.

Combined with even more sophisticated face morphing, EACH AND EVERY CAW would be unique...at least, it would be infinitely easier to create one that doesn't look generic.

All your gripes about what happened the last time is actually all the more reason to throw the old engine out. It didn't work right from the get go. Now you have Visual Concepts there to help get things going right....sky is the limit.

There is just no downside to scrapping 10 years of mediocrity for the hope of something better.

Well no. The problem is that they kept piece mealing new parts on top of the ancient engine. Essentially building a game that is a sloppy amalgam of old things mixed in with new.

I don't think you understand that the games not working, being riddled with bugs and other problems are exactly the problem of marrying incompatible things. Building a whole new set of art, textures, animations, AI routines, and physics will ELIMINATE THE OLD BUGS. Now they certainly have to play test for new bugs, but all the old nonsense will be gone.

You do realize that a new stronger engine will lift *all* of these restrictions, right? It's much better to start from scratch then to try to continually patch up and already patched to death product.

Let me give you a real world example so that you understand better. Justin Gabriel Tweeted that he was getting his face scanned in for the game, so we KNOW they're using that.

WWE-2K15-Justin-Gabriel.jpg

So, right out the gate, we see they are using a powerful tool that, *especially* in a new engine would and will do wonders for Creation Suite. Scan in 100 faces for CAW mode and already you have eliminated "that face". You KNOW what THAT FACE is. The face that regardless of hair and attire you can spot on 70+% of all CAWS.

Combined with even more sophisticated face morphing, EACH AND EVERY CAW would be unique...at least, it would be infinitely easier to create one that doesn't look generic.

All your gripes about what happened the last time is actually all the more reason to throw the old engine out. It didn't work right from the get go. Now you have Visual Concepts there to help get things going right....sky is the limit.

There is just no downside to scrapping 10 years of mediocrity for the hope of something better.

Alright, you're my new favourite poster. You'll get you're t-shirt in the mail eventually.

... see, that's where we have a disconnect. Yes they're using advanced face scanning for the in-game superstars. we know that to be a fact. but where does the leap in logic come into play that they will turn around and use this same tech for the default caw face skins/templates? isn't it just as likely that the gap between in-game quality and caw quality will widen even more than it already is? seems to be a lot of hanging your hat on what 'could' happen and using that as justification to excuse getting rid of everything that's been built-up in terms of creation modes without any proof that it will actually happen. i don't just want a WWE game that looks good, I want a future WWE2K series where the creation suite is on par with what we currently have.

On face-Scan. How will that work with older wrestlers? Will we be getting half roster updated and other half with same faces? I meant legends, etc

On face-Scan. How will that work with older wrestlers? Will we be getting half roster updated and other half with same faces? I meant legends, etc

Great question, maybe they'll use something like photoshop. Not sure how ea did bruce lee but he looks perfect so theres hope

Archived