Dragon Ball Z

Mango kid

Always found Gohan overrated. That fight against Cell was lame besides he moment of him actually turning Super Saiyan 2.

Agreed. I think it's partially due to the whole 'character who's gentle but is secretly very powerful' archetype. I'm generally not a fan of it.

On a side note, I'm actually of the opinion that Dragon Ball Z should've ended after the Frieza saga. After the Frieza saga, it began to feel milked, repetitive and lazy, especially with the constant leveling-up. Had they ended with Goku being the one and only Super Saiyan (and Super Saiyan being the only level beyond base form), him defeating the most powerful being (at that point in the series), and him dying from the explosion on Namek, that would have been far more legendary and iconic. The continuation of the series just really smeared the original notion that Super Saiyan was this rare, inconceivable, seemingly-mythical transformation, which made Goku's transformation such an incredible moment.

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure I recall reading that Akira Toriyama actually did intend for it to end after the Frieza saga, but chose to continue it because of the series' popularity.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a side note, I'm actually of the opinion that Dragon Ball Z should've ended after the Frieza saga. After the Frieza saga, it began to feel milked, repetitive and lazy, especially with the constant leveling-up. Had they ended with Goku being the one and only Super Saiyan (and Super Saiyan being the only level beyond base form), him defeating the most powerful being (at that point in the series), and him dying from the explosion on Namek, that would have been far more legendary and iconic. The continuation of the series just really smeared the original notion that Super Saiyan was this rare, inconceivable, seemingly-mythical transformation, which made Goku's transformation such an incredible moment.

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure I recall reading that Akira Toriyama actually did intend for it to end after the Frieza saga, but chose to continue it because of the series' popularity.

completly agree with this.

Always found Gohan overrated. That fight against Cell was lame besides he moment of him actually turning Super Saiyan 2.

Agreed. I think it's partially due to the whole 'character who's gentle but is secretly very powerful' archetype. I'm generally not a fan of it.

Agreed. But I think the issue was editors wanting to continue milking the series even against Toriyama's wishes. If nothing else, the series should have ended at the end of Cell Saga. Goku dead, Gohan taking up the mantle, Vegeta reformed, and whatnot.

Toriyama actually wanted to end it after the Red Ribbon Saga. Then the Piccolo saga. He never was someone who planned ahead, but just went with the flow. Frieza wasn't even a thing in his mind when Raditz first showed up. So he was writing it with the mindset that it could end at this saga, but then extended it due to popularity, which he didn't mind. The Frieza saga wasn't the endgame people think it is.

Buu > Namek > Saiyan > Android

I thought the whole concept of Androids as a threat was bland. It didn't help that the animation was at its worst during the Cell saga, because of various animators working on the episodes. Also, people criticize the overemphasis on transformations after the Namek arc but the Buu arc only introduced one transformation exclusive to the main protagonist, while you had the whole "transcending a Super Saiyan" stuff in the Android arc. I honestly thought the Namek arc started faltering after Frieza transformed into his final form. The dynamic between Krillin, Gohan and Vegeta was the main reason I liked it.

I liked it. I was intimidated as *Censored* at the start. Yamcha got stabbed, Super Saiyan Goku got his ass kicked, then Vegeta saved the day, but the very idea of Vegeta stronger than Goku was scary, then 17 and 18 destroyed everybody with 16 just standing by. It was insane.

And then I lost my mind when Cell showed up, because you had Cell telling Piccolo they're brothers and everybody else sensing first two Piccolo's and then suddenly Frieza, King Cold, Vegeta and Goku all at the same place and I bought all of it until Gohan actually went and checked on the sick Goku and Cell explaining the whole deal. I remember being disappointed because he wasn't really Piccolo's brother and because Frieza wasn't actually returning.

I liked it. I was intimidated as *Censored* at the start. Yamcha got stabbed, Super Saiyan Goku got his ass kicked, then Vegeta saved the day, but the very idea of Vegeta stronger than Goku was scary, then 17 and 18 destroyed everybody with 16 just standing by. It was insane.

And then I lost my mind when Cell showed up, because you had Cell telling Piccolo they're brothers and everybody else sensing first two Piccolo's and then suddenly Frieza, King Cold, Vegeta and Goku all at the same place and I bought all of it until Gohan actually went and checked on the sick Goku and Cell explaining the whole deal. I remember being disappointed because he wasn't really Piccolo's brother and because Frieza wasn't actually returning.

On second thought, I would knock the Buu arc down the ladder and have the Android arc occupy the second place. Now that I think about it, the first half of the arc which encompassed the androids and Imperfect Cell was pretty amazing. The twin androids looked genuinely creepy when they were introduced in Gero's lab. I liked the impending threat of the mysterious Cell and the intrigue surrounding it. Apart from finding the concept of cyborgs rather boring, my main problems are with the second half which is all about Cell. The Namek arc is similar in that it has a great start but goes downhill by the end. Ironically, the weakest parts of both these arcs are the most popular ones. Goku vs. Frieza. Perfect Cell. And it makes sense. This is the point where the focus is shifted from the story to the action. The big battle.

Buu > Namek > Saiyan > Android

I thought the whole concept of Androids as a threat was bland. It didn't help that the animation was at its worst during the Cell saga, because of various animators working on the episodes. Also, people criticize the overemphasis on transformations after the Namek arc but the Buu arc only introduced one transformation exclusive to the main protagonist, while you had the whole "transcending a Super Saiyan" stuff in the Android arc. I honestly thought the Namek arc started faltering after Frieza transformed into his final form. The dynamic between Krillin, Gohan and Vegeta was the main reason I liked it.

Who Gotenks? :huh:

Honestly, the whole arc with the androids and Imperfect Cell was shaping up to be the best of Dragon Ball Z. Imagine seeing the strongest Super Saiyan getting toyed around with and having his arm broken, while the rest of the Z-fighters are easily defeated and Goku's battling a heart disease. And then to add fuel to the fire, you have this mysterious creature massacring civilians. The introduction of the Time Chamber kind of felt like a deus ex machina.

Archived