Dragon Ball Z

Mango kid

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Timeline

Dragon Ball---> Dragon Ball Z--->Dragon Ball GT

GT isn't officially canon though and has alot of discrepancies as far as the story goes not to mention just being full blown retarded at times.

The movies aren't canon either and have problems fitting within the storyline as well but it's generally accepted that they're altenate timelines.

The Trunks and Bardock specials are the only canon specials.

Battle of Gods claims to be canon but has discrepancies as well guess the creators didn't do research to make sure their movies are 100% accurate.

I agree most of the films are not canon but what about The Dead Zone. It plays into the Garlic Jr saga later in the show but timeline wise does not fit with the beginning of DBZ. The Dead Zone has the inconsistency of Goku and Piccolo teaming up before Raditz and also a problem with Gohan. Why is Krillen surprised when he sees Gohan at Kami house if he already knew he was Goku's son from Dead Zone.

Garlic Jr was a filler though, did it really count?

True it was not in the manga and was just a filler saga but it is still part of the TV show timeline which means The Dead Zone must count as canon?

Also for the love of god do not watch Dragon Ball Evolution. Even if you want to check it out to see if it's as bad as people say, don't!

That film belongs buried in the desert with all the copies of E.T on the Atari.

The way the story goes as for a chronological order is Dragon Ball, then Dragon Ball Z, then Dragon Ball GT. The movies are not in canon and thus don't play that majorly into the story. They're still fun watches and I enjoy some of the movies over the show (the Broly movies and Bojack being the biggest personal examples). GT has a reputation for being bad, but I honestly didn't think it was that terrible when I watched it. Of course that was when I was 9 so I may not like it now.

As for what one you watch first, it doesn't really matter IMO. You don't need the biggest knowledge of Dragon Ball to watch DBZ outside of a few characters. But other then that, you could watch DBZ before DB and it won't really matter.

True it was not in the manga and was just a filler saga but it is still part of the TV show timeline which means The Dead Zone must count as canon?

Also for the love of god do not watch Dragon Ball Evolution. Even if you want to check it out to see if it's as bad as people say, don't!

Unless stated by the author, anything that isn't part of the original source material, the manga, is non canon. Even then, the thing stated as canon can't contradict anything from the source material.

While GT might be not very good, I liked a some of the characters from it like SS4, Pan(what the problem is), Baby Vegeta, Super 17, etc.

Unless stated by the author, anything that isn't part of the original source material, the manga, is non canon. Even then, the thing stated as canon can't contradict anything from the source material.

While GT might be not very good, I liked a some of the characters from it like SS4, Pan(what the problem is), Baby Vegeta, Super 17, etc.

I felt that the Baby Saga went on far too long, whereas the Super 17 saga wasn't long enough. And even then, Super 17 was only in a few episodes due to them focusing too much of their attention on Frieza and Cell.

Anyway, OP, I'll say this - Just watch DBZ. While DragonBall will help explain stuff later, you don't need to watch it. Avoid GT. And for the love of money, AVOID DRAGONBALL: EVOLUTION!!! It will shit on your soul, and make your question your very existence.

Ok, not really. But still...DB Evolution is that bad.

Yeah I'm not going to lie, Dragon Ball is really boring to me. The only part I always am excited and pumped to see is the final fight between Goku and Piccolo at the Budokai. But that's about it. I probably like it the least out of the two. At least GT kept me entertained throughout the show whereas DB only had me for like one fight.

Im with him... On the first series being superior, Dragonball was way better than Z. I cant say much about GT because I don't remember it at all. DB was an awesome story that didn't have ridiculous over the top battles, for the most part it just focused on the Martial arts. Dragonball Z was such a bore, dragged on for way too long. Who seriously wants to watch a fight that goes over 10 episodes and is mostly monologue.

Im with him... On the first series being superior, Dragonball was way better than Z. I cant say much about GT because I don't remember it at all. DB was an awesome story that didn't have ridiculous over the top battles, for the most part it just focused on the Martial arts. Dragonball Z was such a bore, dragged on for way too long. Who seriously wants to watch a fight that goes over 10 episodes and is mostly monologue.

That's why you gotta watch DBZ Kai. No filler.

It is filler and not canon, even if it's part of the TV show timeline. If it's not in the manga, it's not canon.

For me, Dragon Ball beats Dragon Ball Z by miles, while Dragon Ball Z beats Dragon Ball GT by eons. DBZ gets far too repetitive with fighting.

Archived