Dragon Ball Z

Mango kid

I'm pretty sure that's exactly it. Toriyama said Gohan was originally supposed to take Goku's place, but then he decided he liked him better as a scholar who didn't fight, so he went back to Goku.

Speaking of Gohan, I never got the whole meme about him being a jobber. He had one L in the entirety of Z and that's only because he got cocky after kicking Super Buu's ass. Even with the Saiyaman stuff, he could afford to do that because everything was peaceful and the world wasn't getting blown up, but as soon as shit hit the fan, he got serious.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Fight Me.

Can't lie, rewatching Super through the dub made me realize it ain't perfect, but I'd still take it over GT any day of the week. Even though it's technically before GT, hell it's before the end of Z really...I'd still save Super for last just for the TOP arc alone. That shit is the main event of Dragon Ball for me.

Plus I don't know how fast you go through these episodes, but maybe if you start GT first then maybe the dub will be closer to the end. Still pretty early into the arc on Toonami currently.

Once Super got to the Goku black saga they were on top form for the most part but the TOP is were we got the best shit ever.

And on the Gohan subject i think 90% of the shit he gets is cause people had ridiculously high expectations of him. Hell i remember in the TOP alone people were banking on him A. Getting a new form, B. Beating Jiren and C. Winning the damn thing lol

Yea , I'm actually finding Super kind of hard to watch until Black shows up. Thats because I saw the Beerus and Golden Frieza films before they were adapted to weekly episodes, and a lot of the filler is simply unbearable, for me,

Plus I don't know how fast you go through these episodes, but maybe if you start GT first then maybe the dub will be closer to the end. Still pretty early into the arc on Toonami currently.

I get through em pretty quick. If I have nothing better to do, I can watch 10 or 12 episodes in a night. Sounds like a lot...but, when you skip the intro and the ending credits, the meat of the episode is probably only about 17 minutes. So...10 episodes is like 170 minutes. Pretty much the length of a standard movie.

Dragonball GT theme makes me want to get wasted at a Japanese karaoke bar. "Bit by bit, I’m falling under your charm, You’ll keep me and all the world far from harm"... :lol:

Just watched the Para Para Brothers on Dragonball GT. What the *Censored* have I just witnessed?

Guest Fight Me.

Lmao I've heard the first 15 episodes or so of GT are the most unbearable. Mainly due to them trying to take a more original Dragon Ball approach, but it just doesn't work cause the show had evolved way past that kind of stuff at this point.

I think Super tries to find a happy medium of the kind of comedy in the original and the kind of action we'd expect fron Z. They do a much better job of it though, besides a few filler episodes here and there I rather not remember. :lol:

Yeah...that's basically how it is. I'm on episode 15 now, and it is finally starting to feel more watchable. Feels like there's an actual plot and some action now. The very early episodes are just ridiculous. They were hard to watch even half paying attention while doing other things. :lol:

Main thing I hate, is that Goku acts like a child...and people treat him like a child. Like...he was wished that way, but he's still adult Goku (for all intents and purposes). So, it's kinda weird for Trunks and Pan to be bossing him around and shit.

Man...the Buu Saga gets so *censored*ing stupid. I don't think I ever watched this far as a kid. After he absorbs Gotenks and Gohan, shit just gets ridiculous. Who was writing this shit? I remember Kid Buu...but I don't remember any of this other stuff. I must have known this was shit even as a kid and taken a hard pass on it. :lol:

The only two good things about that saga were Mystic Gohan being badass and Vegeta's character development.

I'd say that Vegeta was one of the worst things about the Buu arc. More idiotic and selfish and inconsistent in his behaviour, which led to the redemption moment of admitting Goku was better, a moment which doesn't even hold value anymore in 2019, since he's competing with Goku again.

In the Android arc, Vegeta was severely humbled twice by 18 and Perfect Cell because he got cocky after beating a weaker opponent. That backfired, he knew his role in all that and expressed deep regret to Gohan at the end of it because his son died and they were all set to die too. Even retired as a fighter over it. Yet, 7 years later, he does it all over again, by allowing Majin Buu to be revived for the sake of a death match with Goku being upset he wasn't as edgy as he was in his early 20s, because he felt the threat was insignificant to his own desires. He could handle it. Well, shocker, he didn't, killed some people on his way out and doomed the planet. Literally. Buu ended up destroying it. As if they pressed a reset button to revert Vegeta to before he *censored*ed up in the Cell-saga. And then he came back when we had Super Buu/Buuhan and still, he did the whole "idc muh pride"-schtick and had to be heavily persuaded to cooperate and fuse with Goku, despite facing certain extinction.

Vegeta was also highly insufferable and hypocritical in that arc. He came back and refused to talk to Goku because Goku hid Super Saiyan 3, even though that very fight basically is the reason his wife was dead at that moment.

He later on berated Goku for saving Dende and Hercule over his own kids (+ Piccolo and Trunks), which, again, fight > Buu. Also, he nearly killed his wife and kid at the World Tournament, the second Big Bang Attack that hit the crowd, missed the cast by a whisker.

Vegeta had strong dialogue in the Buu-saga, but in terms of character development, that always was something I felt was overrated, especially when compared to the development of Piccolo Jr. from his birth until his death in the Saiyan Saga, Gohan (Raditz - Cell), Future Trunks and hell, even Vegeta himself both in the Android/Cell saga. Most of Vegeta's developments and realizations in the Buu saga already happened off-screen or at the end of the Cell saga, only for it to re-happen in the Buu one.

But, in his defense, he at least finally decided to be thorough after Kid Buu's defeat by attempting to execute Fat Buu. So he learned something, I guess.

Didn't Vegeta go Majin when he was completely okay with reviving Buu? But other than that, we haven't really seen him admit his regret towards his indifference or love for Trunks, even though he got pissed off and tried to kill Cell to avenge Trunks.

Vegeta hugged Trunks right before he decided to sacrifice himself. Said "I have never held my boy"...hugged him for a pretty long time before he did his kamikaze attack and turned to stone/ash.

And he went Majin so he could fight Goku without regret...he let the magic turn him evil because he wanted it.

Yeah he only cared about fighting Goku. It wasnt until he realized he couldnt beat Buu where he learned the bigger picture and had to sacrifice to save his family. After that point he was a full on good guy who just didnt like Goku lol

tbh I think Vegeta liked Goku but just found him annoying as Goku's a carefree doofus whereas Vegeta's usually a serious Sam. In any case, I usually see Vegeta get mad at Goku when he jokes around too much.

Vegeta disliking Goku had nothing to do with his personality...it was because Vegeta was the prince, and he always felt slighted that he was not inherently better than Goku as the prince.

Maybe his goofiness added salt to the wound in a sense...but it wasn't the real issue. The main issue was just Vegeta being insecure about his shortcomings as royal blood.

Archived