Dragon Ball Z

Mango kid

I find it annoying when people compare Abridged to the original series, even claiming it to be superior. I know people have a right to their opinions and preferences but I find the comparison to be ridiculously unfair. Obviously, people would be inclined to prefer Abridged because it's a comedy (an especially hilarious and well-made one). It makes you laugh and have a good time. You are psychologically wired to like it more. The comparison is like a comparison between vegetables and fruits. You're free to find it more entertaining, but saying it is "better" (which is already a frustratingly vague term) is different.

I agree that the comparison is unfair, but I also think DBZ abridged is a bit better than the original. When you look back DBZ had a lot of flaws and then you have DBZA which is parody series decades after the original series ran its course which uses the anime as a template, meaning it can use those flaws to an advantage. Then there's the fact that TFS is a group of people who has the freedom to do whatever the hell they want and can take all the time they need vs. just Toriyama who had editors telling him what to do at points as well as deadlines.

So just to straighten things out, blue haired Super Saiyan isn't a new form, but just regular old Super Saiyan after training with Bills and Whis? If that's all it is, then a simple color change makes sense. I don't hate it, but it'll still take some getting used to.

I agree with your point.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So just noticed something

I'm playing Ultra Street Fighter 4 and Oni has blue hair and is also a powered up version of Akuma. So that means Akuma is actually a Saiyan and he achieved SSG and mastered well before Goku and Vegeta did

Back when Oni Akuma was revealed for SF people often said that he looked like Broly. The fact that his beads glow and look like Dragon Balls also probably had something to do with that.

^Faulconer's music was definitely the best, I agree. Especially when it comes to all of those awesome character-specific themes, like the ones that play during Goku's/Vegeta's SS transformation. However, the arrangement and placement Faulconer's music was often obnoxious and just plain unfitting. There was rarely ever moments of silence or appropriate build up.

I disagree entirely on Kai, though. Kai's pacing was excellent compared to the molasses pace of DBZ. Not to mention, it had vastly superior, more mature dialogue. Overall, I think Kai is way better than DBZ. The only thing that it's missing is Faulconer's music.

Kai completely ruined Vegeta snapping on Cell when Trunks died for me

I agree, though, for me, that's mostly due to the lack of Faulconer's music.

The lack of Faulconer's music also ruined Goku's SS transformation, which is a shame, because Goku's dialogue and that goosebumps-inducing scream were miles better than the DBZ version.

Archived