Will this affect 2k's next wwe game

wcwnwo

EA Sports UFC will feature a Create-A-Fighter system, but players will not be able to share them online due to potential copyright issues.

In an interview with MMAjunkie EA Sports UFC creative director Brian Hayes conceded the fighter share option from EA Sports MMA was something the team loved, but they had to put the kibosh on it “for a number of reasons.”

“One of the big things people did on a game like “Fight Night” is making Rocky Balboa, or Floyd Mayweather or whatever,” said Hayes. “But nowadays when people can make YouTube clips and share them, there’s this whole grey area where if our game allows users to make a Rocky character that’s the intellectual property of somebody else, it causes a ton of problems.”

“There is a “Create-A-Fighter” and you could create you [sic] own Rocky, but when we are facilitating the sharing of content, it gets very difficult.”

How the facilitation of fighter sharing in EA Sports UFC would differ from, say, the sharing of custom liveries in the Forza series (containing intellectual property like logos) is unclear, but Hayes maintained the process of creating fighters for the game is already quite complex.

Speaking on the topic of the lawsuit THQ faced when a tattoo artist sued the publisher for recreating a design he tattooed on the side of UFC fighter Carlos Condit’s stomach, Hayes explained they are working to avoid any similar problems.

“We’ve sent out waivers to all the fighters for them to sign contracts saying it’s OK to display those trademarks or other likenesses,” he said. “Anything that’s trademarked, like Ronda Rousey’s Olympic rings for example, we had to take those out because those are trademarks we can’t get away with. We’re trying to be as authentic as we can with all the tattoos, but it does get pretty complicated.”

EA Sports UFC is coming to PS4 and Xbox One later this year.

Could this mean that we might lose the creation community in next gen game's

I really feel like this is jumping the proverbial gun by EA. There are dozens of games where you can share copyrighted content. NCAA Football let you upload any logo you want to be used as part of a team uniform. Forza lets you use logos. I think EA is using this as an excuse to not have as many servers for the game. If you don't have to share created content, you only need servers for p v p matches. In the example given, I don't see how if a random person made Rocky and uploaded it that EA could be held responsible for copyright violation unless they included Stallone's actual face as artwork in the game. There are probably hundreds of games other than WWE where people make copyrighted likenesses. Tens of thousands of people made Mel Gibson as Mad Max in various RPGs (Fallout etc.), Arnold as Conan (Skyrim) and Chuck Norris as Chuck Norris (in every freakin thing) and I have not heard of a single lawsuit based on this. It is a cop-out

“One of the big things people did on a game like “Fight Night” is making Rocky Balboa, or Floyd Mayweather or whatever,” said Hayes. “But nowadays when people can make YouTube clips and share them, there’s this whole grey area where if our game allows users to make a Rocky character that’s the intellectual property of somebody else, it causes a ton of problems.”

“There is a “Create-A-Fighter” and you could create you [sic] own Rocky, but when we are facilitating the sharing of content, it gets very difficult.”

oh please. how many youtube videos are out there of the WWE games of Marvel/DC characters or horror/Sci-Fi characters etc? and because of those videos, how many lawsuits did we hear about from the owners of those characters? NONE. it's just EA being a shitty company like they always are.

Wont affect yet, but an article a few months back said depending on the outcome of the former ncaa athletes vs ea it could affect games create modes where it allows creations to be shared (as we're seeing here). Waltman and Helms have spoken out in the past on twitter about being created in the games and using their names without them being compensated.

Wont affect yet, but an article a few months back said depending on the outcome of the former ncaa athletes vs ea it could affect games create modes where it allows creations to be shared (as we're seeing here). Waltman and Helms have spoken out in the past on twitter about being created in the games and using their names without them being compensated.

thats got NOTHING to do with WWE. that is all on the gamer. so sue the gamers.

yeah, like that would happen.

weh weh weh people keep making us in video games, so we want more money

be happy people even still give a shit about you enough to create you in THEIR game!

People have been creating popular characters in every game that allows you create characters since the a create a character feature was ever introduced in a video games.

Seriously they purposely put the Joker, Superman and Wolverine's hair in the game. This is going to be a tough battle to face. The whole point of a create feature is to make characters not in the game.

People have been creating popular characters in every game that allows you create characters since the a create a character feature was ever introduced in a video games.

Seriously they purposely put the Joker, Superman and Wolverine's hair in the game. This is going to be a tough battle to face. The whole point of a create feature is to make characters not in the game.

This. They put so many pieces in to make creating certain wrestles & TV characters so much easier. I've seen William Regal's entrance robe, Carlito's entrance shirt from SVR2006, Matt Hardy's whole attire from the original SmackDown! Vs RAW, Bam Bam Bigelow's Tights, Carlito's Afro, among many others. This article just proves that EA is being a shitty company and re-enforcing my decision to never buy a first-hand EA game. I'm still shocked EA are so successful, with all the shitty decisions where they blatantly stick a middle finger up at their fans and all their underhanded tactics. I hope that EA never get their hands on this series. They are massive dicks.

This. They put so many pieces in to make creating certain wrestles & TV characters so much easier. I've seen William Regal's entrance robe, Carlito's entrance shirt from SVR2006, Matt Hardy's whole attire from the original SmackDown! Vs RAW, Bam Bam Bigelow's Tights, Carlito's Afro, among many others. This article just proves that EA is being a shitty company and re-enforcing my decision to never buy a first-hand EA game. I'm still shocked EA are so successful, with all the shitty decisions where they blatantly stick a middle finger up at their fans and all their underhanded tactics. I hope that EA never get their hands on this series. They are massive dicks.

Unfortunately, their practice of "buy out any company they can that ever made anything good" means that if you want to play a series that was good at one time, you have pay out your anal cavity to them. Its a despicable but brilliant tactic.

Unfortunately, their practice of "buy out any company they can that ever made anything good" means that if you want to play a series that was good at one time, you have pay out your anal cavity to them. Its a despicable but brilliant tactic.

True. I still refuse to buy first hand from them though.I wish more bosses would stand up to them though and tell them where to stick their buy out proposal.

thats got NOTHING to do with WWE. that is all on the gamer. so sue the gamers.

yeah, like that would happen.

weh weh weh people keep making us in video games, so we want more money

be happy people even still give a shit about you enough to create you in THEIR game!

Ultimate Warrior successfully sued THQ for being able to unlock a "character with his likeness" through gameshark. Was it HCTP? Whichever one Hogan and Warrior were removed from. They were in talks with him, made the character model, then he didn't sign with them. The model was hidden on the disc. Had no name, no tron, no music and Warrior was still able to sue and win. Sounds a lot like the caws on cc, except cc creations are named. I could see it happening. There are enough bitter wrestlers that would love to cash in on something like this. Look at ncaa football. All they did was use the players jersey number and accurate height and weight and they got sued for a TON of money.

EA got sued so hard for the NCAA title that they literally stopped making it. NCAA Football 14 was the last they will ever make more than likely. a released statement basically said they are putting it on the back burner and dont know if they will ever bring it back. They did lose their contract with NCAA though, so that does open the door for another video game company to make a NCAA style game, but EA still holds contracts with the Conferences until next year or the year after. Either way, i doubt we'll ever see another NCAA title. now, on topic: this decision by EA could affect WWE games down the road, i dont see it for next year's title really, but maybe the year after that or the year depending of somebody wants to push the envelope and threaten a law suit or actually file the law suit.

As for the Ultimate Warrior, he legally changed his name a while back to Ultimate Warrior. So any video game that uses his name or likeness without his consent, regardless of if he was in talks or not is illegal. He legal owns the Ultimate Warrior name and likeness so he had a right to sue for his character being used without compensation or his consent.

I doubt WWE games will lose CC, but if it ever did we can go back to formulas. Remember caw sharring went on during the PS2 days, and was this sites true purpose

I think not having cc will hurt the game itself' it is fun to make one or two caws in all' but it just takes to much time up' even back in the ps2 era lot's of people still used things like Action Replay

to just copy other people caw files' sad thing is if something happen to cc I don't think we can do that anymore

I doubt WWE games will lose CC, but if it ever did we can go back to formulas. Remember caw sharring went on during the PS2 days, and was this sites true purpose

I think not having cc will hurt the game itself' it is fun to make one or two caws in all' but it just takes to much time up' even back in the ps2 era lot's of people still used things like Action Replay

to just copy other people caw files' sad thing is if something happen to cc I don't think we can do that anymore

Theres always a work around, 8th gen machines should have usb support in time for 2k15

As for the Ultimate Warrior, he legally changed his name a while back to Ultimate Warrior. So any video game that uses his name or likeness without his consent, regardless of if he was in talks or not is illegal. He legal owns the Ultimate Warrior name and likeness so he had a right to sue for his character being used without compensation or his consent.

Also, hidden or not, THQ STILL had his likeness in the game when they should've removed it. Making CAWs is a different story entirely.

If CAWing was on the same level of ingame likeness, we wouldn't have had the mode since WWF Warzone (forgive me if CAW mode goes back further than that).

Also, hidden or not, THQ STILL had his likeness in the game when they should've removed it. Making CAWs is a different story entirely.

If CAWing was on the same level of ingame likeness, we wouldn't have had the mode since WWF Warzone (forgive me if CAW mode goes back further than that).

BINGO!

BINGO!

Nobody thought having in game football players the same height and weight as their real life counterparts counted as a likeness either....that turned out great for EA didn't it? Used generic faces and still get sued and lose on the likeness part of the lawsuit.

This is EA we are talking about after all. I'd wager this had more to do with them not wanting to build the infrastructure / support and maintain servers than anything else. We all saw how well their online features worked in 2013. They probably just wanted to avoid another SimCity / BF4 disaster. MLB The Show lets you create and share entire rosters for the major and minor leagues and is way more detailed than anything EA ever had in any of their creation suits. So this sounds like a smokescreen to me.

BINGO!

Nobody thought having in game football players the same height and weight as their real life counterparts counted as a likeness either....that turned out great for EA didn't it? Used generic faces and still get sued and lose on the likeness part of the lawsuit.

So tell me, how did THQ, a company notorious for *Censored* ups, avoid being sued for so many years with CAW mode? Jesus Christ, we've been able to share them for several years now and we've had a first party service in Community Creations doing it for us since 2009. Trust me, this will not affect 2K15 at all.

Archived