NFL/NCAA Thread

Faster Than Light

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't follow college football, so can someone tell me anything about the players the Panthers drafted?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracker/by-round#dt-tabs:dt-by-team/dt-by-team-input:car

Kelvin Benjamin - Athletic freak. Can catch any pass you throw to him. Not very fast, but size makes him a ridiculous red zone threat.

Kony Ealy - good pass rusher, could be excellent in a year or two. will take over immediately if hardy or Johnson gets hurt again.

Trai Turner - potentially great lineman. versatile enough to play tackle or guard

Tre Boston - very quick, fast safety, not great in the run game or zone coverage, could potentially be a nickle or slot corner

Bene Benwikere - average athleticism, good in zone, no threat in the run game, nickle corner at best, best scenario could see a move to free safety where he doesn't have to meet people at the line of scrimmage.

Tyler Gaffney - under-rated. not elite at anything, just good at everything, very good receiver out of the backfield

just what i've learned from all the scouting reports ive read

Man if we go by your guys theory we would have never seen Tom Brady cause his camp was pretty terrible.

Yeah, and that's why he didn't get drafted until the 6th round.

And why people got lucky in that city with them taking a risk on putting him in. If we go by your theory Troy Smith should have been a top QB right now. Jason White never played an NFL down in his life even though he won the Heisman which makes him the best college player in the Nation instead of just the SEC. See where I'm going with this?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracker?icampaign=nfl_drafttracker_nav-tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-team/dt-by-team-input:phi

Anyone think the Eagles drafted well? I think they did alright, I really wanted them to get HaHa (Surprised he fell all the way to 21) but as for the rest of the picks

Marcus Smith DE - I like him as a player and he fits the defensive scheme but I think they really stretched for him. I would have liked to see them go after a safety

Jordan Matthews WR - For a second rounder I really like this guy, good size decent speed and pretty good route runner

Josh Huff WR - Don't know too much about him but I'm not crazy about getting back to back WR's. I understand he knows Chip's system but I think they're were better WR's available at this time along with some needs that needed to be filled

Jaylen Watkins CB - I think he was underrated in this draft and is a versatile CB so I like this pick

As for the next 3 picks I really don't know much about them so I wont comment. But does anyone know how that Safety, Ed Reynolds, from Stanford is? I'm curious to know

Awards don't mean anything really. Heisman trophy winners have gone undrafted before.

This. If I judged them on their awards and not their NFL combines, then every award winner would be drafted before everyone else because thats what makes sense. His combine sucked, he's not the same physical specimen as some of the other top guys, and the Rams are deep on the line. Michael Sam would have been drafted way earlier if he was worth it

In the same right, you can't write a guy off after having a full season of productivity, simply based on one day of workouts. Which is what you did on the last page in regards to Michael Sam. I don't see how that works either. Awards don't mean anything, neither does combine numbers. Especially when you consider the fact that he improved on all those numbers at his pro-day. So what does that mean now?

Awards don't mean anything really. Heisman trophy winners have gone undrafted before.

This. If I judged them on their awards and not their NFL combines, then every award winner would be drafted before everyone else because thats what makes sense. His combine sucked, he's not the same physical specimen as some of the other top guys, and the Rams are deep on the line. Michael Sam would have been drafted way earlier if he was worth it

In the same right, you can't write a guy off after having a full season of productivity, simply based on one day of workouts. Which is what you did on the last page in regards to Michael Sam. I don't see how that works either. Awards don't mean anything, neither does combine numbers. Especially when you consider the fact that he improved on all those numbers at his pro-day. So what does that mean now?

Like I said, he has a chance to make it and learn more and definitely pick it up. Both mean little in the scheme of things, but his combine numbers clearly meant more to scouts than his last season judging where he got drafted, and by a team who in all reality didn't need him. He need to put on some weight like someone said previously, and he's pretty much slower than everyone drafted ahead of him. He improved at his pro day so he's already shown he's ready to step it up. But people are making it a media circus over a guy who isn't as good as any of the starters on the Rams.

Well ok if we are going to go by combine workout's Manziel was totally overrated anything past the 5th round since his combine wasn't too great and other QB's outperformed him.

Except in his Pro day he wowed pretty much everyone and had a better pro day than the others instead of just "improving" on his already dismal numbers. People are trying to give Michael Sam more than he deserves because of his sexuality and its incredibly dumb when he's literally slower than anyone he's going to have to chase down because his specialty is pass rushing. Manziel going first round and Michael Sam just about going undrafted (there are better UDFA's than Sam as well) tell the story of who impressed more in their NFL work outs

It's weird seeing the mainstream media give the Raiders credit for having a good draft. I'm not used to this.

Could it be because for the first time in years they had a good draft? Shows you truly how bad Al Davis was with personnel. If he'd let his staff draft and control the money, who knows where they'd be.

It's weird seeing the mainstream media give the Raiders credit for having a good draft. I'm not used to this.

Could it be because for the first time in years they had a good draft? Shows you truly how bad Al Davis was with personnel. If he'd let his staff draft and control the money, who knows where they'd be.

Al Davis would have drafted Darrius Heyward Bey every round, every position if he could.

Al Davis would have drafted Darrius Heyward Bey every round, every position if he could.

Darrius Heyward-Bey throws it up, Darrius Heyward-Bey gets intercepted, Darrius Heyward-Bey is able to knock it lose. Then, Darrius Heyward-Bey recovers but fumbles again and the Sea Hawks score 6 here in Oakland! This isn't a good day for the Oakland Raiders and Darrius Heyward-Bey.

I'm surprised Houston didn't take a QB. I like the Jordan Mathews pick for Philly but i'm not crazy about Huff... I think that Moncrieff (or whatever his name is) taken a few picks after him is a better WR

Huff fits Chip's offense much better. Chip even coached him at Oregon before he became an NFL coach. He's basically Jason Avant but actually gets YAC.

Philly's offense is looking sick on paper.

Maclin and Cooper as the outside WRs

Matthews and Huff as the inside WRs

Sproles lining up in the slot occasionally

Celek and Ertz as weapons at the TE position

Shady bestintheworld McCoy as the HB

a healthy O-line.

MAN it sucks that Leonard Weaver went out the way he did. He would be Lesnar levels of dominant in Chip's offense man.

Defense still needs work IMO. I really like the Jaylen Watkins and Ed Reynolds picks. And that undrafted kicker they signed is a wrecking ball lmao

WFJTX5g.gif

Dude's nickname is Murderleg.

Man, just looked at the Patriots entire roster for the first time since the draft.. The defensive line makes me excited. Looks lethal on paper.

Wilforks back, Kelly is back, obviously easley is still recovering but he will be a freak on the interior, armstead is gonna actually play, silinga was stout last year, chris jones got after the passer consistently, and those are just the tackles.

It's gonna be a Defensive year in new england.

@Alpha

I like the defensive pick ups as well. I was really hoping they could get HaHa but either way the D certainly needs help

I really wanted Brandin Cooks @ 22, but damn Saints jumped up and snatched him. :(

Then HaHa went at 21. I know he really wanted to be an Eagle badly too.

Then Bucannon and Ward both went mad early. I was so mad about that lol.

I don't follow college football, so can someone tell me anything about the players the Panthers drafted?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracker/by-round#dt-tabs:dt-by-team/dt-by-team-input:car

Kelvin Benjamin - Athletic freak. Can catch any pass you throw to him. Not very fast, but size makes him a ridiculous red zone threat.

Kony Ealy - good pass rusher, could be excellent in a year or two. will take over immediately if hardy or Johnson gets hurt again.

Trai Turner - potentially great lineman. versatile enough to play tackle or guard

Tre Boston - very quick, fast safety, not great in the run game or zone coverage, could potentially be a nickle or slot corner

Bene Benwikere - average athleticism, good in zone, no threat in the run game, nickle corner at best, best scenario could see a move to free safety where he doesn't have to meet people at the line of scrimmage.

Tyler Gaffney - under-rated. not elite at anything, just good at everything, very good receiver out of the backfield

just what i've learned from all the scouting reports ive read

Awesome. Cheers dude :cool:

I see the NFL shop site already has jerseys for players like Manziel, Clowney, Carr, McCarron, Bortles, and Sam.

Lol @ The Michael Sam TV show.

Well ok if we are going to go by combine workout's Manziel was totally overrated anything past the 5th round since his combine wasn't too great and other QB's outperformed him.

Except in his Pro day he wowed pretty much everyone and had a better pro day than the others instead of just "improving" on his already dismal numbers. People are trying to give Michael Sam more than he deserves because of his sexuality and its incredibly dumb when he's literally slower than anyone he's going to have to chase down because his specialty is pass rushing. Manziel going first round and Michael Sam just about going undrafted (there are better UDFA's than Sam as well) tell the story of who impressed more in their NFL work outs

More hypocrisy..Why do you assume people give Michael Sam actual credit simply because he's gay? People give him credit because he's shown to be a good football player in college. And like Manziel, Sam improved on his combine numbers with his pro-day, but he isn't allowed the same positivity? Like, what?

Archived