NFL/NCAA Thread

Faster Than Light

Dont know what made me think of this today but since its a wrestling forum I figured id post it. Does anyone remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDUbNPVWUck

I ask because when talking about Ray Rice we have been hearing the majority of people saying that its never OK to hit a woman no matter what happens and I agree with that. However I remember when this incident happened a lot of people were saying Jericho had every right to do it because she was instigating him. He still threw a punch at her though (though I guess one can make the argument that he didn't knock her out or that they arn't in a relationship). Does your opinion change about this video now after such strong opinions about Ray Rice?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dont know what made me think of this today but since its a wrestling forum I figured id post it. Does anyone remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDUbNPVWUck

I ask because when talking about Ray Rice we have been hearing the majority of people saying that its never OK to hit a woman no matter what happens and I agree with that. However I remember when this incident happened a lot of people were saying Jericho had every right to do it because she was instigating him. He still threw a punch at her though (though I guess one can make the argument that he didn't knock her out or that they arn't in a relationship). Does your opinion change about this video now after such strong opinions about Ray Rice?

For me I lost all respect for Chris Jericho when I saw that video.

More bad press for the NFL. Peterson reportedly hit his kid with a switch and had "no ill intent." **Sniffsniff** Smells like crap.

Panthers and Niners should really do something about their players before they come under fire also.

- A new article by Bill Simmons of ESPN criticized NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell by comparing his reign as an authority figure to that of Vince McMahon. Simmons wrote on Grantland that Goodell is "worse than Vince McMahon during that one XFL season. He's worse than William Regal. (Inside joke for WWE nerds.)

Goodell has come under fire regarding his handling of domestic abuse within the NFL.

http://www.WrestlingInc.com/wi/news/2014/0912/580960/nfl-commissioner-compared-to-mcmahon/#ixzz3DB4kfLwa

--

Burning my jersey. :facepalm:http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/13/justice/nfl-vikings-adrian-peterson

More bad press for the NFL. Peterson reportedly hit his kid with a switch and had "no ill intent." **Sniffsniff** Smells like crap.

Panthers and Niners should really do something about their players before they come under fire also.

In AP's defense, that used to be pretty common among black parents who grew up in the 60's and on...And he himself said he disciplined his son simply the same way he was disciplined when he was kid growing up. In today's world though, that sort of discipline doesn't seem to be tolerated much.

This also shouldn't even be compared or held in the same standard as the Ray Rice situation. He just happened to discipline his kid in a way that some law makers of today don't agree with. That's it...I don't think he deserves to be villainized (sp?) for this.

In AP's defense, that used to be pretty common among black parents who grew up in the 60's and on...And he himself said he disciplined his son simply the same way he was disciplined when he was kid growing up. In today's world though, that sort of discipline doesn't seem to be tolerated much.

This also shouldn't even be compared or held in the same standard as the Ray Rice situation. He just happened to discipline his kid in a way that some law makers of today don't agree with. That's it...I don't think he deserves to be villainized (sp?) for this.

I know you're not trying to justify what AP did. Just because you grew up a certain way doesn't mean it's okay. We don't live in the 60's and that kind of "punishment" is not acceptable in today's society. I am in no position to say how someone takes care of their kid, but I know for sure that if I had a son or daughter, I wouldn't physically punish them like that.

He did the smart thing with turning himself in, we'll see what happens now that he's out.

My brother and I are going to have a bonfire made up of our Ray Rice (his) and Adrian Peterson (mine) jerseys.

You guys are joking, right? Clearly visible and open wounds on a child is pretty heinous and not punishment, it is abuse. It also isn't an excuse to say it happened 50+ years ago, or that he believes it's right.

I didn't say because it happened 50+ (not even that many) years ago, excuses what he did. I said he was disciplined that way, and hence he's from an age where getting beat with a switch, technically a slim tree branch, wasn't a crime. Because of that, I simply stated that I don't think he should be villainized or compared to Ray Rice, who did something known to be against the law and wrong. There's still most likely a large percentage of American people who find no qualms in physical discipline when it comes to their children. It's the equivalent of a belt whooping to many people, from my experience. Not that I've ever seen a kid getting beat with a switch happen, outside of television, but I've heard about it.

I didn't see the pictures, but as I said, people have varying opinions of "abuse" when it comes to the discipline of their child.

There was also people trying to excuse Ray Rice though. It's reprehensible no matter what his upbringing, or the number of people who think it's ok to physically assault a child. Child abuse is also against the law and wrong, there is no way you can defend him over this.

I don't think RGIII will have a starting job in the NFL anymore, not with his recently acquired ankle injury. This is because he holds onto the ball too much, and doesn't make smart decisions with it and runs too much. As for the Redskins, they need to be a run first offense. Kirk Cousins is doing good, but he isn't Peyton Manning and they have a beast in Alfred Morris and they need to use it more. Especially in that closing drive to go into Half-Time. There was not a single run in that drive to close out the first half.

I'm not a fan of hitting your kid with a branch that came off a tree. I don't know what the situation was or is with AP, but I really hope he tried to talk to his kid first and told him what he did wrong. If you punish a kid using the most serious punishment right off the bat, physical punishment, they will pretty much become used to it after a while.

I can't wait until next year when the Jags have Bortles starting with Shorts, Hurns, and possibly Blackmon is going to be fun to watch.

Everyone complains about Eli but this team can't *censored*ing catch the ball. Cruz missed three very catchable balls, Jennings drops a easy ball, Williams can't catch a cold and Randle drops a easily catchable ball on third down. Manning played great today. Most of his incomplete passes are off his own players hands. And this is all just in the 4th quarter.

Archived