Xbox360 PAL and NTSC

BabyBoyDom

Hey guys! I need a little help in understanding more about the PAL and NTSC games for the xbox360.

A little background, I'm from the Philippines and i recently got an NTSC-J version xbox360. From what i understand, that's an asian version xbox360. Now, I already have about 5-8 games and they're all either NTSC or NTSC-J. I understand that these version of games are compatible with my NtSC-J xbox. But earlier this week, i went to my local game store to buy Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimade Edition. There were 2 of them in the store, one NTSC and one PAL. I asked the sales lady which of the 2 would work on my NTSC-J xbox. The sales lady said that neither would work because the game is region locked to US version xbox. I didn't buy the game. Now earlier today, i went to a different branch of the same game store and asked the sales lady there about which version of the game would work on my NtSC-J xbox. Like the first sales lady, She told me that the NtSC version won't work since it's region locked to US version xboxes. But this time, she said that the PAL version would work fine. Now i'm really confused.

From my own research, i understood that NTSC versions are also subcategorized to NtSC-J, NTSC-U, NTSC-C, etc. NTSC-J are from asia, NTSC-U and NTSC-C are from America and Canada respectively, and PAL versions are from Europe and Australia. I've read that PAL games are only compatible for PAL xbox360s and NTSC games are compatible for NTSC xbox360s. But i've also read that some PAL games can work on NTSC xbox360s and vice versa depending on whether the games are region free or not.

My theory is that the NtSC and PAL sticker on the games only indicates where the game was produced, but what really shows if the game is compatible is if the game is region free or region locked. For example, a wwe2k14 game that is NTSC-J is produced in asia and a PAL version is produced in europe. I can play the PAL version on my NtSC-J xbox because the game is region free.

From this point of view, i should be able to play the Injustice PAL version on my NTSC-J xbox since the game is region free. Am i correct in believing this? Please help me, i just wanna play the game! Thanks in advance and sorry for the long read :D

Is it not possible to ask the guy at the store to try it on a J region Xbox or w/e at the store so you can know if it works before buying it?

Although I suppose that would be bad if it's new.

Try a game with the same region or w/e that is old and used and wont cost much?

The irritating thing about the store, aside from the unfriedly staff, is that they won't let you test the game before buying it. But they do open up the case to show that there are no damages on the disc. Aaaaannndd the sales lady said that if ever she was wrong and the PAL game won't work on my NTSC-J xbox, i can't return it unless there's a problem with the disc itself, and that's when they'll test it to see if the damage is real. They have an annoying process. But i might visit another store within the week to ask for more information. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks for the reply guys! :)

So i decided to just trust the guy at the store who said that the PAL version would work on my NySC-J xbox since the game is region free. I bought the game today and....THE GAME WORKS! I'm guessing that my theory is correct but if anyone else can share info about the PAL and NTSC versions, feel free to post here. Meanwhile, i'll be enjoying my Injustuce! Thanks guys! :D

Archived