Why Make Randy Orton WWE World Heavyweight Champion?

UnleashF-5Fury

Since Orton became Randy Orton became champion back at TLC 2013, I continually ask why did this happen? Personally, I have always liked Randy Orton since his first WHC title run. I understand the whole "Best For Business" thing (whether its looked at as a wrestling angle or taken literally.) He has a great look for a wrestler, third generation superstar (shows ppl than WWE treats wrestling families well), has decent mic skills and is a actually solid wrestler. Why not make him the first WWE World Heavyweight Champion and the "face of the WWE." My issue comes up with how the TLC title match was promoted as the "biggest/most important match in WWE's history."

I saw the match live on PPV and I won't go as far as calling it "trash" but it wasn't very good. The ending was especially sloppy. For it to be the "biggest/most important match in WWE's history" it wasn't very good. HOWEVER, this could have been redeemed with better follow-up matches and a solid title run following the not so good PPV match. As of today it is February 7, 2014. We are on the Road to WrestleMania and Orton hasn't really had a CLEAN victory since he won the title a few months ago.

My first thought was maybe this is being done on purpose. Maybe Orton being a whiny brat on the mic and complaining is apart of his angle to get more heat (or something like that.) Maybe...but I think all that goes down the toilet when the "champion" doesn't get ANY clean pins after winning said title. (And I'm not talking Eddie Guerrero or Edge style cheating to win to get more fans/heat) Making a champion lose repeatedly makes him look weak and is usually a sign of him on the way out as champion. This can be seen after losing twice to (mid-carder) Kofi Kingston and once this past week to (uncrowned champion) Daniel Bryan. Again, he did beat Cena at Royal Rumble but it wasn't "clean" since there was interference from The Wyatt Family.

With WrestleMania coming up (assuming Orton makes it out of Elimination Chamber as champion since I don't really see them switching titles then and again at Mania) My question is why make Orton the champion at all? Why make someone a champion and give them a crappy title run? It makes Orton look weak as a wrestler and devalues the title (assuming Batista is set to win the title at Mania after his big return and winning Royal Rumble. Unless Kofi Kingston is finally getting pushed to Main Event status, why give him TWO victories over Orton in back to back matches? Personally I feel nothing is worst than A) having an incompetent/non-convincing champion. B) hotshot booking. C)playing hot potato with your world title.

This was already complicated enough but now they thrown Daniel Bryan into the equation again.

I know no one is perfect but WWE should know better...What are your thoughts on this matter?

The whole thing with Orton is kind've fascinating. He's been on autopilot now for a while, and the fans have turned on his matches more and more because of it. They've booked him into such a corner where he's looked like a total loser who lucked into becoming champion while the Authority keep flip-flopping between whether or not they pick him as their guy. His charisma has somehow disappeared and now he doesn't even get polite applause. I said it in the Unpopular Opinions topic, but I really do think his reign is the worst in the history of the title/company. I can't think of a single World champion who the people don't wanna see at all, who's had worse performances than this for such a sustained run. His promos have been so one note, his performances have been phoned in, his attitude is poor, audiences are totally apathetic to him. He's become the blueprint of how NOT to book your world champion.

He's been a dull Champion and I feel like his heel run has been overshadowed by the Authority. Above all, I'd say it's been a case of bad timing for him, since everyone wants Bryan to be in the position Orton is in right now, and won't settle for anything, regardless of how good he may be during his reign. He's been nowhere near his best though, his ring consistency has been down, although his promos are a bit better now imo. Simply put, anyone right now except Bryan would be seen as a less than desirable Champion - it just so happens to be Orton, add to it that his own performances have left a lot to be desired too.

If he was the Legend Killer the whole time, he'd probably be at legendary status himself by now. Was actually just watching the episode of Raw in 2005 when he RKO'd Jake The Snake on the Highlight Reel (that Rangers jersey on Y2J tho....), he was amazing back then. I watch Orton now and he's not even half of that old character

I used to be a big Orton fan. But it's no secret now that I can't stand the guy. I don't know if it's because he's stale. I don't know if it's because his character is boring. Or I don't know if it's because he has been shoved down our throats. But this title reign is SO bad. I do not blame that on him though. That's the WWE's fault. I mean he's had interesting title reigns before. But this one is just complete shit.. It's kind of a symbol of the WWE as a whole right now. lol. But they've made Orton look really weak. So of corse he's not gonna look like a real champion. That's something I hate. WWE has the same formula for everything.. If someone's face they have to smile and make dorky jokes and suck up to the crowd. And the heels always are cowards and can't win legitimately... But why? Orton would be great as a bad ass heel character where he would just *Censored* your ass up. But no.. They've gotta make him like every other heel. Not to mention over scripted promos. I'm sure it would be better if Orton had more freedom. I'm sure all the title holders would have better runs if they had more freedom.

He's one of the best but they book everything like shit.

If he was truly one of the best he'd turn shit into gold, just saying. Yeah, booking hasn't been good to him, but he's had opportunities to shine and he hasn't. He also can't control a crowd, when they turn on him that's it.

Why would he need to turn a crowd on him when they already hate him and he's a heel? You give Bryan the excuse of being booked badly and I agree but you aren't giving Orton the same.

Maybe it's a dream sequence. He's going to lose the belt at Elimination Chamber. Then, on Raw, they'll show him sleeping in his home. Then the phone will ring and he'll answer it in a cold sweat, saying "no...no, it was the worst thing ever! I lost the belt to Daniel Bryan in the Elimination Chamber"...and Vince will be on the other line and he'll say "Randy, my boy...you haven't been the champion since 2010". Then he'll scream and wake up a second time, but this time he'll be sleeping against a wall in a public bathroom, dressed as a janitor. He'll wake up and start mopping, then he'll walk out into the lobby and look at the television and Daniel Bryan will be defending the title against Antonio Cesaro. And Orton will say "Damn those guys are good. One day I'll be a WWE superstar"...and he'll lock up his janitorial supplies, punch his card, get into his ford focus and drive home.

If he was truly one of the best he'd turn shit into gold, just saying. Yeah, booking hasn't been good to him, but he's had opportunities to shine and he hasn't. He also can't control a crowd, when they turn on him that's it.

Why would he need to turn a crowd on him when they already hate him and he's a heel? You give Bryan the excuse of being booked badly and I agree but you aren't giving Orton the same.

I think what Rockstar means is.. Well Orton can't really get a reaction. :/

Maybe it's a dream sequence. He's going to lose the belt at Elimination Chamber. Then, on Raw, they'll show him sleeping in his home. Then the phone will ring and he'll answer it in a cold sweat, saying "no...no, it was the worst thing ever! I lost the belt to Daniel Bryan in the Elimination Chamber"...and Vince will be on the other line and he'll say "Randy, my boy...you haven't been the champion since 2010". Then he'll scream and wake up a second time, but this time he'll be sleeping against a wall in a public bathroom, dressed as a janitor. He'll wake up and start mopping, then he'll walk out into the lobby and look at the television and Daniel Bryan will be defending the title against Antonio Cesaro. And Orton will say "Damn those guys are good. One day I'll be a WWE superstar"...and he'll lock up his janitorial supplies, punch his card, get into his ford focus and drive home.

:XD: post of the year.

I said when they turn on him he can't bring them back. They don't turn on him chanting typical invoked heel stuff, they chant nonsensical stuff because he's not engaging the crowd at all and when they've gone that way he can't bring them back, he, himself doesn't invoke much reaction. He doesn't buy people into him or the product, xpac heat isn't the same. The Bryan thing is completely different, I don't blame booking for Bryan's crowd connection and ability. I blame booking for not pushing him, but that's entirely different as to blaming booking entirely if a wrestler isn't invoking the desired reaction. He's had opportunities all year long. He's failed at all of them.

Which isn't true.

In 7 months he's generated a modicum of a reaction.

I said when they turn on him he can't bring them back. They don't turn on him chanting typical invoked heel stuff, they chant nonsensical stuff because he's not engaging the crowd at all and when they've gone that way he can't bring them back, he, himself doesn't invoke much reaction. He doesn't buy people into him or the product, xpac heat isn't the same.

The Bryan thing is completely different, I don't blame booking for Bryan's crowd connection and ability. I blame booking for bit pushing him, but that's entirely different as to blaming booking entirely if a wrestler isn't invoking the desired reaction. He's had opportunities all year long. He's failed at all of them.

He act accordingly to the crowd, in a lot of matches and in promos. It's not true that he doesn't do that. He's never the focal point of anything since becoming champion so he won't get the reactions based on what he does rather than what his opponents or the people behind him do. He always drew reactions pre-authority storyline.

I said when they turn on him he can't bring them back. They don't turn on him chanting typical invoked heel stuff, they chant nonsensical stuff because he's not engaging the crowd at all and when they've gone that way he can't bring them back, he, himself doesn't invoke much reaction. He doesn't buy people into him or the product, xpac heat isn't the same.

The Bryan thing is completely different, I don't blame booking for Bryan's crowd connection and ability. I blame booking for bit pushing him, but that's entirely different as to blaming booking entirely if a wrestler isn't invoking the desired reaction. He's had opportunities all year long. He's failed at all of them.

He act accordingly to the crowd, in a lot of matches and in promos. It's not true that he doesn't do that. He's never the focal point of anything since becoming champion so he won't get the reactions based on what he does rather than what his opponents or the people behind him do. He always drew reactions pre-authority storyline.

If he acted accordingly to the crowd he'd be over. Great heels play and bounce off of the crowd, he can't despite his ample amount of opportunities.

If he acted accordingly to the crowd he'd be over.

Over-scripted shows plus bad positioning.

Archived