AJ Styles Talks About Being A Main Eventer Again, Unhappiness In The Locker Room & Kurt Angle Being Inducted

After The Rain

TNA star AJ Styles spoke with Mike Riker and Dave Lagreca on SiriusXM’s Busted Open to hype Sunday’s Bound for Glory pay-per-view. Here are some highlights of what he said about:

On being back in TNA’s main event scene: “It feels awesome. I’ll tell you what feels better than being better in the main event; it’s having the crowd behind you. They know what they want out of A.J. Styles now. They know what to expect, when before they did not know what to expect, they didn’t know who I was or what to expect and to tell you the truth, I didn’t. But I think these fans know who I am now and what I’m after and who I have to beat to get it and that’s a great thing when you step into an arena and people are going crazy for you. It gives you that extra boost of energy that you can’t explain until you step into the ring or you step onto the field where all these people are cheering for you. It’s an amazing feeling.”

On the unhappiness in the TNA locker room: “Not everyone is going to be happy. Not everyone is going to be happy with the storyline that they are in, that’s just professional wrestling. Everyone wants to be at the top. Everybody thinks that they deserve more and you can’t blame them. You’re in a business where it’s going to take its toll on them as they get older and they want to make as much money as they can and think they have the ability to but when you’re not in that spotlight and believe me I know, it bothers you. I don’t want to say that we all are like: ‘This sucks,’ because we’re not. There are a lot of us just having fun but there is always going to be disgruntled guys in the back. It happens, it’s a cycle. You have to go through your turn of: ‘Oh crap, ok. Here we go.’ It’s one of those kinds of things. The locker room to me is not bad but it’s never going to be perfect. I don’t care where you’re wrestling at.”

On Kurt Angle being inducted into the TNA Hall of Fame: “He’s a machine. I know you guys must have heard that a million times but it’s true. He is one of the best professional wrestlers in wrestling. He’s got it all. He can get on the microphone and entertain you there or he can get you in the wrestling ring and do the same. I definitely think Kurt Angle deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. That’s the things that bother me the most is that our Hall of Fame is that our guys are still wrestling. Ultimately wait until they are retired because they still have more work to do. Image all the good things you can say about them and then they have the match of there life after we induct them to the hall of fame. You got to bring that up. But those guys, Sting and Kurt deserve to be in the Hall of Fame and I have no bad feelings towards them because they are great guys.”

You can hear Busted Open on Sports Zone; Sirius 92, XM 208 and on the app.

Archived