Austin Aries Talks About His Dream Opponent, His Favourite Opponent & Idolizing Bobby Heenan

After The Rain

The following are highlights from a recent DirecTV interview with TNA Impact Wrestling star Austin Aries:

On his dream opponent: I could give you 6 different answers, and none would be wrong. The first answer that comes to mind is Hulk Hogan in his prime because it means you are in the main event and making a lot of money. Same goes for Steve Austin and The Rock. It means you are at the top of the industry. Of course, Macho Man or Ric Flair would be amazing. I got in the ring with Sting recently which was a great honor and very special. No matter who I am wrestling, as long as Bobby Heenan is my manager, I’ll be happy.

On idolizing Bobby “The Brain” Heenan: “Bobby Heenan is one of my favorites of all time. Even back in the AWA, I just always thought he was great. And obviously The Horsemen dominating as well as Dusty Rhodes, Nikita Koloff, Magnum T.A., The Midnight Express, and The Freebirds. Of course Jake Roberts and Rick Rude. Those are the guys I grew up watching and idolizing.”

On his favorite opponents: “I always mention Bobby Roode. We just click on a lot of different levels. We grew up appreciating the same type of wrestler and same type of wrestling. We are similar students to the game. We work together against each other or as a tag partner. Guys like Samoa Joe, no matter what it’s been, what promotion, every time we are in the ring there is such an easy storytelling and psychology in there. We always had good matchups. Matches with Brian Danielson (Daniel Bryan of WWE) have always brought the best out of me. We’ve had a number of clashes over the years. Those are some guys off the top of my head.”

On Bound For Glory and the Ultimate X match: “Bound for Glory is Impact Wrestling’s biggest event. It is out in San Diego, and it is a whole weekend event. Unfortunately, I find myself challenging for the X Division Championship in an Ultimate X Match. It is exactly the type of match I look forward to as well as the fans. But there is an extra element of danger, having to scale a 20ft rope to grab the belt where it is hanging over the ring. You have three former world champs (Aries, Chris Sabin, and Jeff Hardy), as well as the current X division champ, Manik, and we all bring a little something different to the table. Anything can happen, and it is an exciting match for the audience and you definitely get sweaty palms participating in it because of the dangers that come with The Ultimate X Match.”

Check out the complete interview online at DirecTV.com.

Archived