Dream matches you never knew already happened

Crowley

What I'm looking for in this thread is matches featuring well known WWE wrestlers that have slipped through the cracks over the years. Maybe the matches took place outside of WWE in lesser known promotions or were never made available to view on home video or television. I'm looking for stars you never thought crossed paths from different eras and genres mixing it up. Everybody talks about how much they want to see Hulk Hogan and Stone Cold Steve Austin face-off, but how many people remember that they already competed against each other in a match (while it may not have been a one-on-one bout, it still happened and people seem to have forgotten)? How many people remember when Sting and Shawn Michaels were in the same ring together? While not all of these moments were as great as they could have been, they're fun to see and you'd be surprised by some of the hidden gems that have been lost to time.

Here are a few of my own examples. I look forward to seeing what other people post and hope we can dig out some forgotten classics.

Daniel Bryan defends his ROH World Championship against "The Ugandan Giant", Kamala.

The Undertaker vs. Jinsei Shinzaki (Hakushi in WWF) in what might be the only example of Mark Calaway wrestling as The Undertaker character outside of WWE.

Kurt Angle vs. ROH veteran, Roderick Strong on Smackdown.

WWE US Champion, Daniel Bryan vs. Shelton Benjamin.

Triple H and Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat have a fantastic match.

Did Hogan/Hart ever happen? That's a pretty big ass match.

Yeah, in WCW on free tv! :o:facepalm:

Yeah, I have that one downloaded from youtube. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't watched it, so all I'm gonna say is that WCW *censored*ed up by putting it on Nitro for free, and they *censored*ed up again with how it ended. Seriously, just watch the end; it's summarizes what WCW became during it's last few years and shows why it's not in business anymore.

To be fair as far as Bret/Hogan goes, giving away major main events for free was common during the Monday Night Wars and the WWF was guilty of it too. I will knock them for overbooking the *Censored* out of that match though.

But this was really not just a "major" main event, this was an all-time main event that should have been done at their own version of WM. For years in WWF fans had been talking about a Hart vs Hogan, past vs future showdown. And the ending man, seriously. It was like watching a suspense movie just to find out at the end that it was all a dream.

To be fair as far as Bret/Hogan goes, giving away major main events for free was common during the Monday Night Wars and the WWF was guilty of it too. I will knock them for overbooking the *Censored* out of that match though.

But this was really not just a "major" main event, this was an all-time main event that should have been done at their own version of WM. For years in WWF fans had been talking about a Hart vs Hogan, past vs future showdown. And the ending man, seriously. It was like watching a suspense movie just to find out at the end that it was all a dream.

----

I agree, but that was just the state of the business at the time as far as doing those matches on TV. Ratings were the name of the game. That match was seriously disappointing though, which was par for the course for Bret's WCW run. Should've been so much more.

Brets match vs Hogan, and his backstage scuffle with Sting, if you want to call that a match, clearly outlined what a disappointment Brets stay in WCW was. Then to be literally booted out by Goldberg just left a bad taste in my mouth as a longtime fan of his. Feuds vs Hogan, Sting, Benoit, Curt Hennig, and even Rey Mysterio would have been awesome if done right and would have made for an epic tenure at WCW, but well...you know.

I know what you mean, but this wasn't just some major event. This was the mainevents of mainevents. This was Hogan vs Hart. All the ingredients for a tremendous PPV match and they just blew it, by having it on free tv.

WTF did I just watch? What a complete clusterfudge.

This is an awesome thread and I hope it lives long and prospers. :cool:

Taker vs Hakushi was new to me, and so was Steamboat vs Trips

WWE.com has Steve Austin vs Great Muta up on their site. It's not that rare of a match as it happened on an old WCW PPV (Spring Stampede '94), but it was long before either of them developed gimmicks that caused one to become the greatest ANTI-HERO of American wrestling and the other to become the greatest ANTI-HERO of Japanese wrestling.

Still, that Spring Stampede match is pretty well known to American fans at least, but this one from about a year later isn't.

NJPW - Stunning Steve Austin vs Keji Mutoh

Archived