The Grappler's World Grand Prix (GWGP) Tournament

Oz70NYC

For those who've been around for a while, the name would sound familiar. For those who are new, here's a brief rundown. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 2007, I ran a PS2 Original CAW Tournament called the Grappler's World Grand Prix. A 20 man, single elimination tournament to crown the best "Wrestler" among the PS2 Original CAW forum. It was just something different to do, and a means to match people's characters up against each other that may not ever actually fight each other. The original tournament went over quite well, with if I'm not mistaken my brother Thr33x's character Jon Payne coming away with the GWGP "Cup". Sadly, the matches where all hosted on our now defunct LXW server, so they're gone like the snow of yesteryear.

For years I've mulled over the idea of running another tournament, but since 2007 it's safe to say our little community here has thinned out. A lot of creators either jumped ship to the more versatile 360 version of the game, or stopped making CAWs outright. That's the reason why I think now is the time to bring back the GWGP. To showcase the work and talent of those of us who remain from the "Golden Era" of Original CAW creation, as well as the new creators who have sprung up over the last few years. So here's the skinny on how it would work.

Signing up is as simple as replying to this thread. In said reply you must give the name of the CAW (males only) you want entered, and the tags for which they can be found and downloaded on CC. You are allowed to enter 2 characters. It will be a 32 Man Double Elimination format, meaning each round is best 2 of 3 matches.

Two slots are obviously already accounted for, as I'll be entering Evan Slade and Blake Evans. Stats on CAWs will be lowered or raised accordingly to balance out match-ups, and all matches will be simmed AI vs. AI. As this tournament is to focus on wrestling, no entrance themes are needed, because none will be recorded. Just straight matches. And don't worry, if a match doesn't play out competitively (example: The AI decides it has a hard-on to go for OMG moments rather then actually fighting) I'll re-sim the match until a proper pinfall or submission victory is attained.

So...30 more characters are needed before I pull the trigger on this. They will be listed and updated below as interest is given.

1. Evan Slade (Oz70NYC)

2. Blake Evans (Oz70NYC)

3. Blade Myers (White Leather Jacket)

4. Alex Jerris (T-Ravinous86)

5. Jason Swick (T-Ravinous86)

6. Casey Walker (Ky1990)

7. Shane Kowalczyk (Nus07)

8. Eddie Chavez (Nus07)

9. Finesse (NandoSuave86)

10. Shawn Ryan (NandoSuave86)

11. Mike Young (King Homer)

12. Owen Young (King Homer)

13. Mihashi Naozane (Matsuyoshi312)

14. Buliwyf (Matsuyoshi312)

For those who've been around for a while, the name would sound familiar. For those who are new, here's a brief rundown. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 2007, I ran a PS2 Original CAW Tournament called the Grappler's World Grand Prix. A 20 man, single elimination tournament to crown the best "Wrestler" among the PS2 Original CAW forum. It was just something different to do, and a means to match people's characters up against each other that may not ever actually fight each other. The original tournament went over quite well, with if I'm not mistaken my brother Thr33x's character Jon Payne coming away with the GWGP "Cup". Sadly, the matches where all hosted on our now defunct LXW server, so they're gone like the snow of yesteryear.

For years I've mulled over the idea of running another tournament, but since 2007 it's safe to say our little community here has thinned out. A lot of creators either jumped ship to the more versatile 360 version of the game, or stopped making CAWs outright. That's the reason why I think now is the time to bring back the GWGP. To showcase the work and talent of those of us who remain from the "Golden Era" of Original CAW creation, as well as the new creators who have sprung up over the last few years. So here's the skinny on how it would work.

Signing up is as simple as replying to this thread. In said reply you must give the name of the CAW (males only) you want entered, and the tags for which they can be found and downloaded on CC. You are allowed to enter 2 characters. It will be a 32 Man Double Elimination format, meaning each round is best 2 of 3 matches.

Two slots are obviously already accounted for, as I'll be entering Evan Slade and Blake Evans. Stats on CAWs will be lowered or raised accordingly to balance out match-ups, and all matches will be simmed AI vs. AI. As this tournament is to focus on wrestling, no entrance themes are needed, because none will be recorded. Just straight matches. And don't worry, if a match doesn't play out competitively (example: The AI decides it has a hard-on to go for OMG moments rather then actually fighting) I'll re-sim the match until a proper pinfall or submission victory is attained.

So...30 more characters are needed before I pull the trigger on this. They will be listed and updated below as interest is given.

1. Evan Slade (Oz70NYC)

2. Blake Evans (Oz70NYC)

This sounds like fun, any chance this will be featured on YouTube as I bet a lot of people would want to check(and give the creators and participants a little ego boost, so to speak.)

That's exactly where I'd be posting the matches. It'd all be on an playlist on my channel. And of course the names of the respective creators would be included on my channel, as well as links to their channels if they have youtube accounts.

That's exactly where I'd be posting the matches. It'd all be on an playlist on my channel. And of course the names of the respective creators would be included on my channel, as well as links to their channels if they have youtube accounts.

Thanks.

Blade's been added, as has two characters from one of my PSN friends T-Rav. He's not a CAWs member, but his stuff is under the tag ROFW, check it out. He's a really talented creator, and I've been trying to convince him to join for years now.

If you are still planning on doing this, I'll add my two guys.

Shane Kowalczyk:

wbdx1s.jpg

Uploaded to Community Creations, tag is SEANZ2013

Link to theme song: http://www62.zippyshare.com/v/82817374/file.html - "Bohemian" by Affiance

Eddie Chavez:

2epkjfq.jpg

Uploaded to Community Creations, tag is SEANZ2013

Link to theme song: http://www50.zippyshare.com/v/4114896/file.html "Gone Sovereign" by Stone Sour

Ah sweet, I had no idea that was yours. Very cool to know and you did a great job on it.

I was trying to find some images of flames online but just didn't find anything we liked, so I went to CC and that popped up and my friend really liked it.

The Youngs have been added, as well as Matsuyoshi312's characters Mihashi Naozane and Buliwyf (Confirmed through my forum). That puts us at 14 competitors...almost halfway done. Like I said in my last post, put the word out. I'm banking on getting things rolling before 2K14 comes out, but even if not I'll still continue on with this on '13.

Archived