The Pop/R&B Thread

Oldsie

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who's listened to D'Angelo's albums before?

I own both of them - I feel like the sound D'Angelo had with "Brown Sugar" everyone else in the R&B world didn't catch on until late 90's-early last decade. And "Voodoo" still holds up now if you compare it to the last 5-10 years of R&B albums. It has old school feel, but it doesn't sound dated at all.

But yeah, it's been 13 years since Voodoo and I've begun to treat a new album from him like I how I treat us ever getting "Detox" from Dre: I'll believe it when I see it.

No, you can only see the full videos if you buy the whole thing on iTunes (haven't seen the videos leaked so far). There are only 30 sec previews on YouTube.

The album's actually pretty good. I've never listened to an album by hers, she never appealed to me. I only checked this out because of the features to be honest. Lyrically it's mostly alright, but the production is top-notch (Pharrell, Timbaland, 40, JT). Standout songs are Blow (this song is sex), Partition, Mine (feat. Drake) and Superpower (feat. Frank Ocean).

Is R. Kelly's one really that good?

Janelle Monáe's new album is holy balls amazing. Daaamn.

I enjoyed R. Kelly's album, so I would say it's worth the hype. Kelly is going the grown folks route and staying there.

And I still don't understand why everyone is listening to Janelle - she's the one few innovative female singers out there. I saw her open up for Bruno Mars (there was also this really good - and cute - male singer named Mayer Hawthorne who also had an opening slot for this show as well) about 3 years ago and she blew me away with how much energy and passion she brings to her performance. I was hooked ever since.

I enjoyed R. Kelly's album, so I would say it's worth the hype. Kelly is going the grown folks route and staying there.

And I still don't understand why everyone is listening to Janelle - she's the one few innovative female singers out there. I saw her open up for Bruno Mars (there was also this really good - and cute - male singer named Mayer Hawthorne who also had an opening slot for this show as well) about 3 years ago and she blew me away with how much energy and passion she brings to her performance. I was hooked ever since.

You mean you don't understand why everyone isn't listening to Janelle, right? Anyway, I've only heard her once and I believe it was when she collaborated with FUN.

I seriously need to DL her albums. Beyoncé's new one too. And D'Angelo's.

You mean you don't understand why everyone isn't listening to Janelle, right? Anyway, I've only heard her once and I believe it was when she collaborated with FUN.

I seriously need to DL her albums. Beyoncé's new one too. And D'Angelo's.

Yeah the correct word was isn't. My bad.

My sister downloaded the Beyonce album, not my cup of tea, but it was a good album.

Currently listening to Beyoncé's album.

Pretty Hurts is an amazing track. I love the drums and bass. Haunted is also pretty solid too, Beyoncé lays down some sweet and subtle vocals.

EDIT: Finished it. At first-listen, I can conclude that this album is amazing. Blue really gives me goosebumps and is a perfect closer.

Not entirely sure about the middle section (track 4-8 if I'm completely correct), it's kind of hit-or-miss in some way but the songs that do not meander are actually great like Superpower, Rocket and Partition (the latter two perhaps being two of my top-5 tracks so far).

Applause to her overall, though, because I never thought a female artist would immerse or captivate me quite like how Bey did.

• 2 months later...

Archived