The Puroresu Catch-All Thread

So I'd figured we could do with one of these threads. Basically, this is a place where you can discuss any puroresu, past or present. Feel free to post any news too, just let's try and keep things spoilered if they relate to unaired shows.

If anyone here wants to get into puroresu, but not sure where to start, I've found a neat little image which I hope you find helpful. Credit goes to the original poster.

http://i.imgur.com/87oSM.jpg

I recently watched NJPW's last iPPV and thought it was pretty meh. I've posted a review of it below. Anyone else see it?

NJPW Wrestling Dontaku 2013

Gedo, Jado, Tomohiro Ishii & YOSHI-HASHI vs Jushin Thunder Liger, Maximo, Tiger Mask & Yuji Nagata
This felt right at home as an opener because of the light-hearted antics of Maximo and Jado. The Flair flop after the kiss from Maximo brought a right smile to my face. One other thing to note, is that it's also great to see Ishii not get lost in the shuffle like he sometimes does in multi-man matches as he's really the best NJPW have at the moment.
???

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championships
Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA © vs Alex Koslov & Rocky Romero

Painfully mediocre. Nothing made this stick other compared to their other matches together, and 90% of the IWGP Jr. tag title matches of the last year or so.

Bad Luck Fale & Prince Devitt vs Captain New Japan & Ryusuke Taguchi
Outside of the final pinfall, Devitt just acted like his plain ol' self even though he recently turned heel and Bad Luck Fale just looks like a Samoan Diesel reject who didn't do anything to establish him as a badass.
?

IWGP Tag Team Championship - Four Way Match
Davey Boy Smith Jr. & Lance Archer © vs Takashi Iizuka & Toru Yano vs Manabu Nakanishi & Strong Man vs Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima

This was all over the place and was even hard to follow at times, but overall it was a fun mess of a match.

NEVER Openweight Championship
Masato Tanaka © vs Tomoaki Honma

Solid stuff but I was expecting so much more just because of the classic they had a few years ago. Honma didn't look to make too much of an effort here and I recall one spot where he reversed a vertical suplex to jump-start his comeback and I thought it just looked lazy and generic.
??¼

Togi Makabe vs Yujiro Takahashi
I don't think this could be any better considering the talent involved. It played to both guys strengths and that being Takahashi's stoogey offense and Makabe's colorful comebacks. I haven't been enjoying this feud one bit and I wasn't expecting much so that may explain why I like this match more than some. A good end to a terrible feud.
??¾

Hirooki Goto vs Katsuyori Shibata
Just two tough mother*censored*ers slapping the piss out of each other until they both knock each other out. Highly entertaining spirit. One could argue the non-finish only happened to set up for a rematch that will just kill time while Shibata's waiting for Sakuraba to return, but I'm not going to whinge too much as I have no problems with these two facing off again, especially if Goto keeps on bringing his A-game.
???¼

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Karl Anderson
Tanahashi fairs better in shorter matches is what I found out in this match. He's by no means terrible, but his weaknesses stick out more when he's trying to work a 30+ minute epic. The match here was an above average back-and-forth match and it's main purpose was to give Tanahashi his win back and the post-match antics give him something to do while Okada keeps the belt.
??¾

IWGP Intercontinental Title Match
Shinsuke Nakamura © vs Shelton Benjamin

It's no secret that I'm not a fan of Shelton Benjamin but this was probably the best performance I've ever seen from him. His work here was very logical and he worked great as a heel. He was cocky and full of character as he tries to take out Nakamura's leg and disable him using his Boma Ye. Nakamura was as great as always, despite a few botches that didn't take away from the action too much. Hell, when Nakamura slipped as he tried to springboard fitted nicely into the narrative of the match.
???½

IWGP Heavyweight Championship
Kazuchika Okada © vs Minoru Suzuki

This had some good stuff, but a lot of it was drowned out by the really awful stuff. On the plus side, there are some neat 'veteran vs youngster' exchanges that were pulled off decently enough and the match didn't drag at all for a 30 minute NJPW main event, but on the other hand I thought Okada's comeback in the sleeper was incredibly lame. It's basically the same spot that Nagata/MiSu did at the Dome show but Nagata can make a cheesy spot like that work because of his sheer charisma; Okada can't. This match really exposed Okada as a bad worker and it didn't help matters that Suzuki looked to be phoning it in on this night.
??¾

Overall:
Not as bad as I hear everyone say it is, but there's no denying that there is some weak matches on this card. The booking was pretty poor also. Best to skip this one.

Really cool picture there man. I'm guessing it was made somwtime in 2012. If it wasn't it should be updated to include Tanhashi VS Okada from when Okada won the title. That, and it needs some Kana.

Speaking of Joshi, anybody know of a good modern Joshi tournament. I'm trying to get some current girls into my FPR Joshi roster.

I'm kinda out of the loop with puroresu and haven't watched anything modern since the AJPW Sumo Hall show as I've had a mountain of Uni work to do. I haven't watched any NJPW with the exception of Ishii/Tanaka since WK7 as the cards that haven't interested me and I've had said Uni work. So its a little disappointing to hear that Okada/Suzuki wasn't that great as I was hoping for another epic Suzuki performance but I can't say I'm suprised that the match wasn't great as I've kinda soured on Okada as I haven't enjoyed him that much since the match with Naito and at times I've found him a bit annoying with contrived moves that look awful and silly looking exchanges.

I watched a couple of shoot matches recently though to try and get back into the groove of watching wrestling more frequently. If anyone is a fan of Minoru Suzuki they need to check out his match with Nakano in 1990 in UWF, man its awesome with some great matwork and stiff strikes and Suzuki just exuding charisma.

Really cool picture there man. I'm guessing it was made somwtime in 2012. If it wasn't it should be updated to include Tanhashi VS Okada from when Okada won the title. That, and it needs some Kana.

Speaking of Joshi, anybody know of a good modern Joshi tournament. I'm trying to get some current girls into my FPR Joshi roster.

Yeah. It was made midway through last year. I'm not a fan of the Tanahashi/Okada series but their match at Invasion Attack is a classic.

Can't help you out on the Joshi front, mate. I've only seen a few matches myself.

I'm kinda out of the loop with puroresu and haven't watched anything modern since the AJPW Sumo Hall show as I've had a mountain of Uni work to do. I haven't watched any NJPW with the exception of Ishii/Tanaka since WK7 as the cards that haven't interested me and I've had said Uni work. So its a little disappointing to hear that Okada/Suzuki wasn't that great as I was hoping for another epic Suzuki performance but I can't say I'm suprised that the match wasn't great as I've kinda soured on Okada as I haven't enjoyed him that much since the match with Naito and at times I've found him a bit annoying with contrived moves that look awful and silly looking exchanges.

I watched a couple of shoot matches recently though to try and get back into the groove of watching wrestling more frequently. If anyone is a fan of Minoru Suzuki they need to check out his match with Nakano in 1990 in UWF, man its awesome with some great matwork and stiff strikes and Suzuki just exuding charisma.

Suzuki carried Okada to a good match just before Okada won the title but he just looked lazy during the title match. Glad I'm not the only one souring on Okada too. Suzuki on the other hand could be a GOAT if only he didn't have his fair share of lazy performances over the years.

Currently making my way through Kenta Kobashi's retirement show. The match quality is solid and isn't mind-blowing, but the show just has that Wrestlemania-like atmosphere.

Really bummed that NOAH in general is turning into a pile of shit.

I feel like KENTA could really carry the company if they didn't book it like a giant pile of shit.

The invasion angle is cool, but the guys they brought over are mid card at best, and they are constantly getting the upper hand on NOAH. Imagine if they would have sent in their top guys, NOAH would just get the shit kicked out of it.

im legit over a year behind on prowres :( have all the shows i want to watch but unable to do so via srs lack of time, feelsbadman.

umm i saw that a gaora stream went up recently (??? few months ago i guess idk), even doe it's no samurai tv it's still pree chill. all japan, dragon gate, oz academy. only being ahead of japan by an hour means that they all air at pretty convenient times for me, def will try and catch a show every now and then.

GAORA (schedule)

I feel like KENTA could really carry the company if they didn't book it like a giant pile of shit.

The invasion angle is cool, but the guys they brought over are mid card at best, and they are constantly getting the upper hand on NOAH. Imagine if they would have sent in their top guys, NOAH would just get the shit kicked out of it.

Lack of money. Since the big retirments it they don't really have anybody to step up in the long run. Though in Japan anybody can step up if he has the wrestling abilitiy to do it. Though I feel regulations are needed for japanese wrestling. It's getting crazier each year for no reason.

Finally got around to watching some of the Champion's Carnival. I watched KAI vs. Go and KAI vs. Akiyama, I'd go as far to say that this was Go's best singles match, at least that I can think of. Both are really good especially the latter as Akiyama is a magnificent bastard and KAI makes a great underdog in both matches. With all the rumours go around about Mutoh leaving, KAI would be pretty dumb to leave after the push hes been getting as he may not get this sort of push elsewhere and not to mention the financal security of staying in AJPW.

Finally got around to watching some of the Champion's Carnival. I watched KAI vs. Go and KAI vs. Akiyama, I'd go as far to say that this was Go's best singles match, at least that I can think of. Both are really good especially the latter as Akiyama is a magnificent bastard and KAI makes a great underdog in both matches. With all the rumours go around about Mutoh leaving, KAI would be pretty dumb to leave after the push hes been getting as he may not get this sort of push elsewhere and not to mention the financal security of staying in AJPW.

I've been meaning to check out this year's CC. I've heard KAI has been on fire throughout the tournament. I've never been a fan of the guy, so I hope he can convert me.

I finished watching Kobashi's retirement show the other night, so I thought I'd throw up a quick review.

Final Burning

Hitoshi Kumano vs Masanobu Fuchi

The NOAH rookie didn't add anything to the match but Fuchi's stretching and squashing of the junior was somewhat entertaining. Kumano ate some sick backdrops.

??

Atsushi Kotoge & Taiji Ishimori vs Genba Hirayanagi & SUWA

Why the *Censored* is Ishimori coming out to Gangnam Style? So cringe-worthy. Anyways, when Genba's spit is the most interesting part of the match, you know this is a bad match. The botches certainly didn't help matters either.

?

Atsushi Aoki & Kotaro Suzuki vs Kentaro Shiga & Tamon Honda

Some pretty slick matwork from all parties in this match. I enjoy the schtick with Shiga's hair/head and I like how it was kept as a consistent theme in the match, even in the later parts of the match. The only thing that holds this match down from being good is the dull middle portion of the match.

??¾

Genichiro Tenryu & Yoshinari Ogawa vs Masao Inoue & Takeshi Morishima

This is the Masao Inoue show. Morishima and Ogawa added nothing of note to the match and Tenryu looked like he was trying his hardest, but he's too far gone physically to do anything thing decent. Inoue carried the match for every one else and the result is a good comedy match that could of been better.

??¾

Mohammed Yone & Takashi Sugiura & Akitoshi Saito vs Hiroshi Tanahashi, Satoshi Kojima & Yuji Nagata

I thought this was a very average match with a good heel Tanahashi performance at first. ...that was before I saw the awesome finishing stretch. Nagata and Suigura were both particularly great and I did mark out for their little submission trade-off.

???¼

Minoru Suzuki & Naomichi Marufuji vs Takao Omori & Yoshihiro Takayama

Suzuki & co (okay, mostly MiSu) made this match awesome. They would take control of Takayama in some very comedic yet smart ways. Marufuji is tolerable here and limits the stupid stuff that you have come to expect out of him over the years. After watching Suzuki's piss-poor performance in his recent match with Okada, it's great to see MiSu make an effort again.

???½

Go Shiozaki, KENTA, Maybach Taniguchi & Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs Jun Akiyama, Keiji Muto, Kensuke Sasaki & Kenta Kobashi

If I'm honest I expected a tad bit more out of this. KENTA's and Kobashi's interactions with each other were fantastic but I wish they had more of a blow-off. Kanemaru eating the moonsault felt a like a bit of a cop-out finish and I wish KENTA took the fall (hell, maybe even with the Burning Hammer). The match has some minor dragging in parts but it's what were you expecting? It's a 40 minute match after-all. Let's not discredit this match too much though; it's still a very good match. I liked the little mini-stories with guys like Shiozaki and Kensuke. The highlight of the match would be Kobashi's face-in-peril segment. The visual of the kids in attendance crying their eyes out was an awesome and touching moment that added a lot to the match. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on this match, but it's my favorite wrestler's farewell match, and I came in expecting a 5-star feel-good clinic, much like Kobashi 2007 return from cancer match.

???½

Overall:

Match quality is solid enough through the show but the show is worth seeing for the WrestleMania-like atmosphere alone.

The full card for NJPW's next iPPV was released yesterday, I'm thinking about ordering as it looks like it could be pretty good.

Matches 5,6,7 and 8 are the ones that interest me the most and the main could be ok if it doesn't go too long and Makabe goes all out. Match 5 could be really great though if Suzuki, Shelton and Nakamura feel like putting in the effort.

NJPW "DOMINION 6.22", 22.06.2013 (WPW)
Osaka BODYMAKER COLOSSEUM

0. Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask vs. TAKA Michinoku & Taichi
1. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov © vs. Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA
2. Yuji Nagata, Ryusuke Taguchi & Captain New Japan vs. Kal Anderson, Tama Tonga & Bad Luck Fale
3. IWGP Tag Team Title, 3 Way Match: Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima © vs. Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. vs. Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka
4. NWA World Heavyweight Title: Rob Conway © vs. Manabu Nakanishi
5. Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii vs. Minoru Suzuki & Shelton Benjamin
6. Tetsuya Naito Return Match: Tetsuya Naito vs. Yujiro Takahashi
7. Special Singles Match: Hirooki Goto vs. Katsuyori Shibata
8. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Prince Devitt
9. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada © vs. Togi Makabe

The full card for NJPW's next iPPV was released yesterday, I'm thinking about ordering as it looks like it could be pretty good.

Matches 5,6,7 and 8 are the ones that interest me the most and the main could be ok if it doesn't go too long and Makabe goes all out. Match 5 could be really great though if Suzuki, Shelton and Nakamura feel like putting in the effort.

1. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov © vs. Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA

2. Yuji Nagata, Ryusuke Taguchi & Captain New Japan vs. Kal Anderson, Tama Tonga & Bad Luck Fale

3. IWGP Tag Team Title, 3 Way Match: Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima © vs. Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. vs. Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka

If Nakanishi loses to Conway, there's going to be some pissed off fans.

Rob Conway: NWA World Champion??? Better start shoveling now.

If Nakanishi loses to Conway, there's going to be some pissed off fans.

Rob Conway: NWA World Champion??? Better start shoveling now.

NJPW's plan to make the NWA title relevent seems to be falling on it's ass. Rob Conway hasn't done anything to impress me so far and when you put him against Nakanishi of all people, I can't see it happening any time soon. I'm honestly looking forward to their match in a 'it's going to be so bad, it'll be good,' sense.

The iPPV card looks like it'll be a good show though. Matches 5, 7 and 8 look like possible MOTYCs if they deliver. I'm also curious what the main event will be like; I'm not a fan of either guy, but I'm hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Lack of money. Since the big retirments it they don't really have anybody to step up in the long run. Though in Japan anybody can step up if he has the wrestling abilitiy to do it. Though I feel regulations are needed for japanese wrestling. It's getting crazier each year for no reason.

They might not have a long term roster but they do have a roster that could be exciting for a solid year if not more. Use in house talent in the short term to create revenue to get or create long term talent.

I think a big part of NOAH's problem is while everything else seems to get crazier they stay the same. They are very much the same in ring product that they have been for quite awhile. Only real difference I've seen is a bit more chair use.

The company is just booked like complete shit. You could bring okada in right now and if they booked him like they are the rest of their talent he'd be just another guy in a year or two.

They take FOREVER to build anyone, and when they finally do they put of putting anything behind him for way way way to long. They also need to either create more factions, remove some guys from factions or just shoot them down all together. To many guys flipping teams for no real reason, and to many repeating matches.

Here's the opening package from NOAH's Misawa tribute show from earlier today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDdSwUW22EE

I can't believe its been 4 years since he died, Misawa's death has been the only wrestling death to really hit me. I have to admit I teared up a little at that montage, R.I.P. Mitsuharu Misawa.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this. Anyone watching the G1?

I haven't seen the first day as nothing looked that great but I did watch MiSu/Nakamura and Tana/Ishii from day 2. Both are really good,MiSu/Nakamura isn't as good as the match they had 2 years ago but its totally worth watching maybe Top 20 match in Japan this year. But Tana/Ishii is the 2nd best Japanese match this year for me, Tana changing it up is so fun as he works heel against Ishii, really great strikes and selling from him and some really tense nearfalls. Ishii was his usual awesome self.

Bumping this. Anyone watching the G1?

I haven't seen the first day as nothing looked that great but I did watch MiSu/Nakamura and Tana/Ishii from day 2. Both are really good,MiSu/Nakamura isn't as good as the match they had 2 years ago but its totally worth watching maybe Top 20 match in Japan this year. But Tana/Ishii is the 2nd best Japanese match this year for me, Tana changing it up is so fun as he works heel against Ishii, really great strikes and selling from him and some really tense nearfalls. Ishii was his usual awesome self.

I was intending to catch every G1 show as soon as the show is released but that is turning into a bit of mission to sit through 3 hours of NJPW every day for nearly 10 days, so I'm now only checking out the matches that interest me and that pretty much means I'm watching a new a Shibata, Ishii, Nakamura and MiSu match every day. That's pretty awesome.

I echo the love for Ishii/Tanahashi. I'm not usually that high as others are on Tanahashi, but this was one of his best performances. He works best as a heel and does everything he can to make Ishii look like a star. I think I can honestly make the claim that Ishii is the best wrestler in the world once the G1 finishes. He's one of the few guys that can make me feel like a little kid when I'm watching wrestling. You just can't help but get behind that egg-shaped bastard. I lost my shit when he hit the Steiner Screwdriver. Couldn't believe it.

Yeah, I'm approaching the tournament the same way as I can't sit through that much wrestling anymore and I'm watching the same guys as you. I completely agree on Ishii possibly being best in the world, hes just so fun to watch and has had a clutch of great matches this year and is already looking like the best guy in the G1. And I just watched his match with Shibata and its yet another great match, just the hard-hitting slugfest that you'd want from the 2 of them. I can't remember where but I saw him described as an underdog who doesn't realise hes the underdog, which sums him up pretty damn well as he always gives it his all and can make people suspend their disbelief. I feel the same way about Tanahashi as well, when I started watching Puroresu I thought he was really fun but that was 3 years ago and the repetitiveness of most of his matches is getting tiresome.

I'm really surprised at how strong Ibushi is being booked though, I knew he'd be made to look good but NJPW seem to be intent on making him a major player. Nakamura made him look like an absolute star with how much he gave him, it was what 4 or 5 Boma-Ye's to put him away? I can think of anyone who's survived that many, at this point I'm sure Ibushi will have an IWGP Heavyweight title match befor the year is over and Ishii may do as well now I come to think of it.

• 4 weeks later...

I need to watch this tourny. I didn't have the time and I figured I would get it on dvd later and cherry pick matches based on what I've heard, and what looks like it will be good. I've heard mostly all positive things. A lot of people are saying this tournament renewed their faith in New Japan considerably. Ishii and Shibata is the one I really want to see based on what I've heard so far.

I need to watch this tourny. I didn't have the time and I figured I would get it on dvd later and cherry pick matches based on what I've heard, and what looks like it will be good. I've heard mostly all positive things. A lot of people are saying this tournament renewed their faith in New Japan considerably. Ishii and Shibata is the one I really want to see based on what I've heard so far.

XWT have a pretty nifty 'Best of the G1 Climax' pack up and it's pretty easy to sit through. It contains full matches and just cuts out the intros. Might be worth checking out.

• 2 weeks later...

Puroresu is too legit for my sports-entertainment mind.

paiqb.jpg

I personally love Puroresu, reminds me of the older style of wrestling which I enjoy.

Haven't really paid too much attention lately, just finding out results, but even then they've been a bit of a let down at times.

Though I still can enjoy some of the older matches at times like 90's Michinoku Pro, mid to late 2000's Big Japan (though I usually keep up to date with it). I also loved the match between Muta & Shinsaki. Brutal, yet very fun.

Depends what you like really. Most people would recommend anything involving Kenta Kobashi, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Mitsuharu Misawa, Toshiaki Kawada, etc. Personally I'd also recommend Ultimo Dragon, Great Sasuke, Hayabusa, Jushin Liger, Jinsei Shinzaki. Vader and Stan Hansen had some great wars together if you're into watching two guys work a near-shoot.

Puro isn't for everyone though IMO. I'm not sure if you were joking with that post, but some people just have a more sports-entertainment type mind. Not that there's anything wrong with that. What helped me get into puro was watching guys I saw in North America in WWE/WCW/TNA (Ultimo Dragon, Benoit, Jericho, Liger, Muta, etc) and went from there. If you want to get into puro I'd recommend watching some of the Japanese matches from Lance Archer, Davey Boy Smith Jr., MVP, and Alex Shelley.

-----

Question: I've been looking everywhere but can't find anything - Does anyone know anything about the AIDS Infected Needle deathmatch that happened somewhere in Japan in the 90's? I'm sure I remember reading about it in an old WWE Magazine where they shat all over it. I really want to see it. Thew only thing I've found is confirmation that it did actually happen (via others talking about it on various forums). I also remember the magazine saying the "needles" looked like unrolled paper clips upon not-so-close inspection. If anyone can give me info (promotion, wrestlers involved, date) I'd greatly appreciate it.

Archived