Beginner's Guide to Face Textures

Codes.

This is a complete beginner's guide to preparing and using face textures from previous games. Disclaimer: In no way am I suggesting I'm better at this than anyone else, I'm only sharing what I've learned about texturing.

Part 1 Preparation:

Programs required:

Paint.net

Adobe Photoshop

To start off you're going to need to pick a texture from a previous game you want to use. So for example we are going to use Kurt Angle's face from SVR 2007.

14o1zl.jpg

Next you are going to want to open it in Paint.net

15p3877.png

Then you'll select the area you'll need to crop. To do this use the rectangle select tool and position it right before the hair, right after both of the sideburns before the ears and right below the jaw. (I usually crop twice to do this)

After that you'll want to press Image>Crop to Selection to crop it and you should have something like this:

2rzclsx.jpg

Next you'll want to erase the eyes and under the jaw and you'll have something like this:

ngrprr.png

After that you'll want to resize to 256x256.

Then, press Layers>Layer Properties. Here you'll change the opacity of the texture. If the texture is someone who is light skinned or black you'll want to change to opacity to 245. If they are extremely tanned use 240. You now should have something like this:

15nnbbq.png

Next you'll want to save as a PNG(or DDS if you have the Photoshop plug-in) and open it up in Adobe Photoshop.

359znz7.png

Then, click on the eraser tool. Change the size to 25 and the Hardness to 13.

Now, gently erase the around the texture and leave the jaw untouched unless it's a diva or they won't have facial hair in-game. You should have something like this:

2ldtw84.png

Next save as a PNG.

Then open back up in Paint.net and Save as a DDS and inject it into a Paint Tool file. Congrats you've prepared your face texture.

Your finished product should look something like this:

9adan8.png

When you save it as a DDS in Paint.net you should have these settings:

w2fzms.png

Part 2 How to Use In-Game:

So once you have it in-game you should split it up into either 4 piece or 2 pieces. Here's how:

-For 2 pieces open 128x128 paint tools and shrink width wise until it shows the whole width of the texture and drag all the way down in one and all the way up in the other

- For 4 pieces just open 128x128 paint tools and drag it into the corner. So the upper left would be dragged down to the bottom right, Upper right Bottom left and so on.

You should have one of these 2 options:

207lrmw.png

From there you create a new caw.

nf5tsh.jpg

Then, you create a base morph and pick your skin. For the sake of this tutorial I'll be leaving it default.

Next you want to change the skin color to green.(Credit to AJsim for this tip) The colors I use in this pic should be fine.

2604fvc.jpg

Then, begin placing the texture. I usually start with the top half. Your main concern is to line up the eyebrows, eyes and mouth. The nostrils rarely line up so if they do it's an added bonus. You should have something like this. (Where you crop the texture at determines how close it gets to the ears)

70cbx0.png

Then you want to change the skin color to blend with the texture. Mine doesn't blend perfectly but, it gives you a basic idea.

dykvnk.jpg

From here you want to finish morphing. Good luck!

Additional Tips:

- Adding detail on top will make it look better and make it blend more

- All attires should have the same amount of paint tools on the face

- only use 1 face texture unless the other one is a slightly modified version of the one you are currently using

- Always try and make the skin tone blend with the texture one of the only disadvantages of texturing is you can't always have 100% accurate skin tones

- Never use small textures like from older games like SD!1 etc. (credit to HarlotEffect93)

Note: the Angle face used on the caw is not the same as the one prepared above.

Gods i wish i had a jtag..

For what bro? You can do almost everything besides fix the paint tool without one.

Exactly, its like the worlds worse tease :lol:

I can get it all done but i can't fix the paint tools. I also absolutely despise bothering other people to do it for me.

• 1 month later...

Great tutorial for beginners. If I may add some input;

I personally do the following when it is time to erase the outer edge:

1) Expand the canvas to 300x300 from the center.

2) CTRL + Click the layer thumbnail to select all.

3) Using the Magic Wand tool, hold Shift and click on the eye holes (so they aren't effected)

4) Select > Modify > Feather ---------- Feather Radius: 3 pixels

5) Select > Inverse

6) Press DEL once. This feathers the edge equally and efficiently.

***OPTIONAL***

a) Select the eye holes with the Magic Wand tool. Select one, then hold Shift and click to select the other.

b) Select > Modify > Feather ----------- Feather Radius: 1 pixels

c) Press DEL once or twice. This should rid of the hard edge that some textures may have around the eyes.

7) Change canvas size back to 256x256 from the center.

Just saves a bit of time to get top notch results.

The result:

facetexture24.png

I would also like to note to others that if they learn to use Photoshop efficiently, doing these tasks will be a breeze. Using the Pen tool in Photoshop will help you easily get smooth edges around the jaw and eye holes. You can change the opacity in Photoshop by changing the layer opacity to 99% and merging it with a blank layer later.

Still, kudos to you Codes. Great tutorial!

Archived