Lucha Libre Discussion Thread

Fried

Volador and Sombra definitely impressed me in that match. Great showdown. I think Volador jr. looked cool without his mask and will probably do good without it, hell, he may even be recognized by WWE now and come abroad. Watching that show made me realize that there is no way in hell that Sin Cara can make it work all by himself working against non-luchador style wrestlers. They need more guys with this style to make it work here in WWE.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good show. We need to do this more often when these shows go live on the web with more caws members. Till next time!

I've always found that wrestling is more enjoyable when discussing it with others.

I skipped the show because I'm not into lucha but I may check this out eventually. Always struggled to get into lucha but all I've really seen is AAA. Maybe I'll have better luck with CMLL. I saw some pictures of him unmasked on Luchawiki and is it just me or does he look kind of like Rey Jr.?

Not really on topic but it was brought up: I honestly don't see Sin Cara in WWE that much longer. He's supposed to be the next Rey Mysterio but he's been as big of a flop as you can be without falling through a wall in a Stormtrooper helmet. They have Samuray Del Sol in NXT and IMO he has every advantage over Sin Cara so once he gets called up I can see Sin Cara being released.

Funny thing is they had "Mistico" in the 8oth anniversary show. So The original Mistico is kinda screwed if he can't make it in WWE. I don't believe WWE can have sucess with just one masked luchador. It worked with Rey because he went through the WCW cruise weight division and speaks English. Unless they get English speakers in here they will flop too.

I don't think WWE would ever let Sin Cara wrestle outside of WWE with their trademark. I would say that the Sin Cara situation has not lived up to expectations so much that even at this stage if they put someone else under the mask it still wouldn't work. It's really hard to believe that for a time the guy who plays Sin Cara was the top draw in Mexico.

I can actually see Sin Cara being released and going back to CMLL and fueding with Mistico II for the Mistico name. Like Sin Cara hasn't lived up to expectations in WWE I think the same could be said for Mistico II in CMLL. It could be like the La Parka (WCW) / La Parka II rivarly.

Looking forward to SdS coming over. He should be able to do alright.

I was wondering why Mistico II was not featured on a 1 on 1 match or even advertised earlier for the 8oth anniversary show. I see a bright future with these high fliers in lucha libre. Though Dr.Wagner is still the man he only has a few good years left. Just wonder who will take the top spot from him when he is gone.

I don't think WWE would ever let Sin Cara wrestle outside of WWE with their trademark. I would say that the Sin Cara situation has not lived up to expectations so much that even at this stage if they put someone else under the mask it still wouldn't work. It's really hard to believe that for a time the guy who plays Sin Cara was the top draw in Mexico.

I can actually see Sin Cara being released and going back to CMLL and fueding with Mistico II for the Mistico name. Like Sin Cara hasn't lived up to expectations in WWE I think the same could be said for Mistico II in CMLL. It could be like the La Parka (WCW) / La Parka II rivarly.

Looking forward to SdS coming over. He should be able to do alright.

It's definitely weird how bad he's been in WWE compared to in Mexico/Japan. He was never anything amazing IMO, but from what I've seen (his work in NJPW) he wasn't nearly as bad. I've always blamed the mask and the lighting to an extent because I doubt he can see much with mesh eyes and dark lighting. Even his matches with Hunico were pretty meh and Hunico has lucha experience. I think they should have kept Hunico as Sin Cara personally.

I'd say the feud is the most likely scenario. Although I could also see them just putting him back under the Mistico mask and stop using Mistico II with no explanation. IIRC he left CMLL on somewhat bad terms (IIRC he flew to the US for the WWE tryout without telling them, and I think I read rumors of him potentially jumping to AAA), but I think they'd do a lot to get him back because Mistico II really hasn't been as hot as they were expecting.

That was CMLL with Mistico II. Can't really blame them for wanting to try and find another Mistico but I'm pretty sure if the WWE thing doesn't work out CMLL would welcome him back with open arms. It can't be stressed enough how big he was in Mexico.

Maybe with the original Mistico it was just a case of everything coming together. The back story, the mask, teaming with Santo etc. Also he had some absolutely fantastic people to work with there. Averno, Volador, UG for example. I think they set the bar too high for him before he even debuted as Sin Cara with the whole "international superstar" spiel.

I could also see them just putting him back under the Mistico mask and stop using Mistico II with no explanation.

Very CMLL. heh...

Volador vs La Sombra from the 80th Anniversary CMLL

Yeah it really flew by. I was in so much shock that it was Volador/Sombra. I thought the losers of the UG/Atlantis vs Sombra/Volador match would be the ones who'd have to do the mask/mask match. I guess they'll keep UG/Atlantis for another time. I think the next big mask match will be Dr Wagner vs L.A Park but I think they're both indy atm, it won't happen in AAA or CMLL but I think I read it might happen in Santo's promotion.

Love the ring girls too.

Yeah it really flew by. I was in so much shock that it was Volador/Sombra. I thought the losers of the UG/Atlantis vs Sombra/Volador match would be the ones who'd have to do the mask/mask match. I guess they'll keep UG/Atlantis for another time. I think the next big mask match will be Dr Wagner vs L.A Park but I think they're both indy atm, it won't happen in AAA or CMLL but I think I read it might happen in Santo's promotion.

Love the ring girls too.

Dr. Wagner vs La Parka would be big. I hope Wagner doesn't lose his mask. It's probably the top selling mask right now, he should retire with it on. As for Parka, I don't even know who is who anymore there. I heard everything from Pierroth being a Parka to Volador Sr. being on the the Parkas as well. You can't unmask a guys twice!

The Wagner/Parka match would be with the WCW Parka aka La Parka original aka current day L.A. Park.

I dunno about a Pierroth being a Parka but Volador Sr is or at least was Super Parka.

I dunno though, both Park and Wagner are both coming up to being 50 years old, both of them have Hijo's running around too.

10y2qgm.jpg

Hijo del Dr Wagner & Hijo del L.A Park (although I think Hijo del Park has gone back to the Black Spirit name to distinguish himself from his father although the costume is almost identical.)

2lnabkz.jpg

It's funny seeing a Park so thin. heh...

Yeah, that Parka seems anorexic. I think Wagner has two sons, hope at least one is successful. As for the future of lucha libre, I'm waiting on El Nieto Del Santo to debut. He seems much, much bigger then both his dad and grandfather. It will be interesting to see how he fares. Lucha Libre needs the Santo legacy to live on in the ring.

Last I heard Nieto del Santo was in Japan training in Noah.

I agree I think the Santo legacy should really live on after Hijo del Santo retires. I think there's a bit of family stuff going on because there's a grandson of the original Santo who wrestles as Axel but Hijo del Santo keeps suing him. heh...

Axel has already made too much of a name for himself to really need the Santo surname. It will be good for Nieto Del Santo to train in Noah, this will make him a more well-rounded performer. As for the Santo family, I've always thought Hijo Del Santo as being the better wrestler then his dad. While his dad will always be the ultimate movie Icon in Mexico I think as far as the actual in-ring action Hijo is way better. Santo Sr. was more of a brawler who did a few holds when needed.

I agree about Hijo del Santo being a better wrestler in comparison to his dad. But also I guess lucha libre in Santo's time was a lot different than it was when his son started.

I like watching the old lucha stuff just to see the differences between then and now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaPy2I8W408

in comparision a Volador vs Sombra before the 80th Anniversary match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJoDinWgzN4&feature=youtu.be

I've never seen Volador wrestle aside from his TNA appearances (Which I don't really remember) but it could be good, especially if they fix the mistakes they made with Sin Cara. Put him in NXT for a year or so to get him used to working his style with non-lucha guys, and making him a regular wrestler. By that I mean don't give him some stupid lighting, and if he's willing to wear a mask, let him wear something he's used to wearing.

I've personally always blamed those three things on Sin Cara's failure. From what I know, he's never worn a mash mask pre-WWE, and I've heard that bad lighting and mesh eyes aren't a good combination. Plus, he came from a promotion full of Lucha guys straight into an American style entertainment company.

Reports around that WWE are interested in recently unmasked Volador Jr.

Not sure if Volador can speak english which should really be a prerequisite for getting into WWE.

That's good to hear. I was really impressed by him in that match and became a fan instantly. Kinda makes you think that maybe the unmasking was planned for him to get into WWE, like Del Rio had to do.

Archived