Kicked out of store, why?

7:16

I went with some friends today to Sonic to get something to eat, being an outside place, we were cold and wanted to go heat up in Toys R' Us right across from there, so we go in and one of my friends is a gamer so we went to the gaming section so my friend could see if he wanted to buy something and we walked towards the board games while stopping to look around at funny toys, we notice were being followed and we decide to leave since we already heated up, while were walking, the guy is talking to a manager, I believe, and the manager steps in front of us and says "are you guys going to buy something, because if not im going to have to ask you to leave" We disputed a few seconds before agreeing to leave, but we then thought about it and want to go back in and talk to the guy and ask him what the problem was. If anyone knows their policy, can they kick us out for that, were we doing anything wrong and I don't want to start problems but I want to talk with that manager and tell him that he did something wrong unless someone can tell me they were justified in doing that.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're a group of teenagers you were probably being followed by LP's (Loss Prevention) who probably thought you were going to steal. And if they have reason to believe you were gonna steal they can kick you out. Did you guys act shady at all?

I've never been to toys r us so I don't know the policies. Maybe the guy thought you were being too loud or possibly shop lifting so he told the management. My buddy had an even weirder experience at Walmart. He was working as a bell ringer for the Salvation army. His post to ring at was the main door of Walmart ( we have 2 doors at our Walmart and the Salvation army rings there every year.) The whole time he is ringing the security guy just keeps watching him. This went on for 5 hours a day for 3 days. He finally called our boss and had him talk to Walmart management about the issue. Turns out the guard thought he might have been a fake bell ringer( he had the apron and the name tag tje whole time)

Well Im positive we weren't being loud and not acting shady but could have looked a bit weird that we were teenagers in a kids store, I know we barely touched stuff and that the guy was just following us but when he said you cant be in here without buying anything, I want to know if thats a policy because Ive never heard of that in my life, plus we were all hispanic, some looking black but I don't think that was a factor, the manager was dark himself.

Well Im positive we weren't being loud and not acting shady but could have looked a bit weird that we were teenagers in a kids store, I know we barely touched stuff and that the guy was just following us but when he said you cant be in here without buying anything, I want to know if thats a policy because Ive never heard of that in my life, plus we were all hispanic, some looking black but I don't think that was a factor, the manager was dark himself.

Well, toys R us is a private company now meaning they could kick you out for wearing a t-shirt they dont like if they wanted to, they can make any policy, if it was public then yeah they couldnt. Just a group of teenagers around Toys R Us at night and maybe if you were wearing hoodies or talking weird it gave reason to suspision and he just wanted yall out. It doesnt sound like a big deal or like anything strange was going on.

What State and City was this in? and time and such.

It's in North Bergen, NJ and just about 7:30, wearing hoodies with the hoods off

I dont know anything about North Bergen, but it could be that the local area had been expereincing problems or that particular toys R us? and is it dark by 7:30? it does sound very odd that a group of teenagers go to toys r us and hoodies can be easily used to shoplift. And depending on behavior, he may thought u were up to no good or were on something? I dont think this is any prejudice or weird thing, sounds comletely rational.

Are you black?

Shit was going to say that. :(

Anyway did you do anything suspicious talking loud laughing alot ?

Laughing yes, loud no, I even talked to the guy following us before to ask where the garbage was to throw my drink out.

What do you mean by stuff? :shift:

@M3:16, haven't heard of any and I know Rockstar said I should protest, do you think I should say something to the guy himself or ask what the reasoning was behind it?

@Oresama Lol, anything on the shelves

Electrical goods? Some places don't like that. Also, you said that you went in to get warm, they may have sensed that and kicked you out because of that.

Nah, we picked up about three toys at different times to show them to eachother because they looked funny but we were mostly in front of the locked up games, until we headed to the board games which took no more than five minutes. And they might have thought theres nothing for us to buy but I don't get why they would ask us to leave just because we haven't bought anything.

@M3:16, haven't heard of any and I know Rockstar said I should protest, do you think I should say something to the guy himself or ask what the reasoning was behind it?

Yeah, I mean if you're innocent this shouldn't be tolerated IMO, yes they have a right (to do whatever they wish) but it doesn't make it any more justified. You, yourself have a right to enter a store without the intention of transaction. This just sounds like a naive, paranoid bigoted store worker tbh.

Yeah, I mean if you're innocent this shouldn't be tolerated IMO, yes they have a right (to do whatever they wish) but it doesn't make it any more justified. You, yourself have a right to enter a store without the intention of transaction. This just sounds like a naive, paranoid bigoted store worker tbh.

This makes sense, Im going to go in tomorrow and ask him if they're was reasoning behind this.

Dont make a mountain out of an anthill. More than likely it was just that to him the situation looked very weird and its a kid store and he didnt want problems, its not because he is a bigot or paranoid, maybe he has experience in this and has been in a similar situation where the outcome was not as good? Appearance does make a world of difference and even though u should be able to walk into a store with no problems, u must also take into account of the situation and be understanding of all parties. Just let it pass, is it really worth getting into an even bigger deal for nothing? it will just make u look defensive and make the guy's suspisions look legit.

FYI the manager can't accuse you of stealing unless he knows for sure he did steal/you actually exited the store with the what ever merch he thought you took. If worse comes to worse ask to speak to a higher manager about the situation like a district manager. Usually that will help get a answer since they won't want to have to get there manager involved.

North Bergen is weird. I work there and even in my work clothes i get weird looks when i go out shopping. The surrounding area isn't bad but what ever.

Toys R US in my town just follow you around, and ask "are you finding everything,alright?" Or "Is there anything I can help you with?" It seems like their goal is to get people in and get them out ASAP, if they suspected you weren't going to buy anything then they probably wanted you out, it's a shitty business practice, but their logic seems to point to the less people IN the store the less chance of something, if anything getting stolen

To be honest, causing a stink and demanding your rights will confirm to many people that you were just there to cause trouble and not buy anything. You should be able to shop without being bothered, but I'm with most people here. Even you admitted, you and your friends weren't there to buy anything. Warming up and window shopping isn't a crime, but most American stores have a no loitering policy and this may just be a misinterpretation of that.

Archived