Redemption...

zombrexabuse

I have one major problem with the Redemption storyline being used to hype up the Cena/Rock rematch: it didn't lead to the downward spiral that Cena claims it did. Cena basically went on as usual, and we all saw it. I was discussing with my brother earlier, and I think that I have a good idea on how Cena should have been booked for this storyline to work. So, Cena loses at Mania and Brock comes after him-so far, following TV. However, Lesnar defeats him and puts him on the shelf for a couple of months with a storyline injury. Lesnar is then outlawed from WWE, only to make random attacks, and demand a match with Triple H, the executive who issued the ban. [Lesnar then attacks HBK on Raw 1000, and this fires up Triple H enough to agree to the fight; Lesnar wins, earning his freedom to appear in WWE; however, he leaves, vowing to return once he has found a worthy enough to challenge him.] Cena returns after the downfall of the Laurinatis administration (taking suggestions on responsible parties in lieu of Cena), and enters MITB. He cashes in on Raw 1000, but loses (as per TV), and loses the rematch too. He then goes on a losing streak for the rest of the PPV's of the year, with maybe Ziggler commenting that he can't get the big one done anymore. He hits the wall with the TLC ladder match and AJ's double cross, and disappears for a few weeks until the Rumble, entering as a surprise entrant. He wins-breaking his losing streak. He then blames The Rock for the tailspin his career took-and the match builds until Wrestlemania.

Any thoughts?

Yeah Cena's 2012 booking could have been better to promote the redemption angle. I think he should've lost to Brock then taken time (then do Punk over Brock at the next PPV so there's a fulltime guy on top) Then have Cena return for the MITB win but loose clean to punk (do the run in and punk heel turn post match). Then really start to push the whole Cena losing his touch stuff. Then have ziggler go over him in there fued. And then he wins the RR

calling this a redemption is a complete joke!

This is no redemption, maybe its redemption light or some ish but nothing else...

If they would have wanted to do it right, they should have looked at how TNA did it with AJ Styles.

Is it obvious that AJ Styles will go on to Bound For Glory this year to win the world title again? Yes, just like it is obvious that Cena will win at WM.

However the TNA AJ Styles redemption has me interested 1000x more than the Cena one.

Because unlike Cena, AJ really had to suffer some big losses. They really demolished him so they could bring him back with an edge, differently like before, not all smiles and stuff like Cena.

Had Cena lost to Lesnar at Extreme Rules and maybe then against Laurinaitis, it would have been much better,

After that they could have taken him off TV (I mean seriously its not like Cena did anything of interest the last year, he lost a couple of matches yet he was in the WWE Title picture whenever he pleased so i dont get how WWE expects us to believe that Cena is any different now than he was one year ago.)

Plus, there is no emotion in this whole redemption thing from Cena... he lost against the Rock, a match that he called the most important one in his life, yet the next night on RAW he was all happy and smiling again.

Whenever he lost this year, the next week he was all happy and smiling again so he actually no sold the meaning of these matches, or lets say he no sold the impact that these unfortunate losses had on his career or psyche.

And now all of a sudden hes out there telling us hes had a tough year? 4 Real? Thats so ridiculous really...

I mean AJ Styles at least seemed legitimately upset by the things he had to go through last year, it was consistent booking, with each feud dragging him down more, each loss taking away something from him and then have it all culminate in his biggest nemesis Daniels beat him and him losing the opportunity to challenge for the title for 1 year.

So now he comes back, not a heel, not a face, but he only cares about himself. He has an agenda...

while Cena is the same now that he was back then....

Another reason why people should just ditch WWE TV and hook up to Impact!

Obviously the Cena/Rock II could have been done better, but having John Cena lose the majority of his 2012 PPVs shows that his loss to The Rock changed him. Once he wins against The Rock, we'll see Super Cena again win every PPV since he got his mojo back in the form of the WWE Championship.

Another reason why people should just ditch WWE TV and hook up to Impact!

Uh...

I understand that Cena didn't lose to Brock, but it wasn't bad consistency because Brock beat him to the point where he won on his last leg and contemplated leaving for a while.

That didn't mean much when you're still able to make a promo right after the match saying you don't know if you're coming back and then coming the next night with a smile on your face.

Eh Rock vs. Cena II isn't the most interesting match on the card there are a few more that I hold in a higher regard than it. Although I do agree that Cena should not have beaten Brock that wasn't his only PPV match of the year he was teh first person to cash in the MITB and fail, he lost to Punk at NOC and he lost to Ziggler. Sure it isn't a true "redemption", but the guy hasn't touched any title is such a long time so it is more like his leap back into title contention after being away for so long, than turning his entire career around.

Plus, there is no emotion in this whole redemption thing from Cena... he lost against the Rock, a match that he called the most important one in his life, yet the next night on RAW he was all happy and smiling again.

Whenever he lost this year, the next week he was all happy and smiling again so he actually no sold the meaning of these matches, or lets say he no sold the impact that these unfortunate losses had on his career or psyche.

QFT. You really can't say you've been in a downward spiral and had a terrible year if you spent the whole year smiling and telling jokes. They're clearly trying to re-write history to better fit the current storyline but honestly, I think it's insulting to the intelligence of the fans.

The Redemption story is half true, in that he lost most of his PPV outings last year and did face a lot of setbacks like losing to Rock and Ace and so on, but it wasn't consistent in that the loss to the Rock never really bugged him, or was the cause of most of these things. The very night after Wrestlemania he was over it, he called out Rock to shake his hand and congratulate him on the win, that right there makes this whole thing very shaky. His win over Brock Lesnar, fluke win or not, completely shattered that whole downward spiral thing to me. Regardless of how, he beat Brock Lesnar, and it's not like he eeked out the win with a school boy roll-up or something, it was a pretty decisive win. To me, Brock should've destroyed him to the point where either he's so physically and emotionally wrecked that he steps away, or he gets stretchered out and isn't seen for months. But beating Brock immediately killed the notion that he was in this sea of despair they'd like you to believe.

His whole "What me worry?" demeanor never helps, either. Major wins and losses really don't effect him at all, he always grins and bears through it all and it never seems like anything bothers him. They portray his loss to Rock as the biggest loss of his career but the video packages they put together did a better job of selling that then Cena himself ever did. His whole cocky, smirking attitude never really makes anything seem like a struggle or an issue, it's what made the end of Wrestlemania 27 completely irrelevant. Cena losing to Miz was made to seem like a big deal and add to the Rock/Cena feud because Rock cost him the belt, and then the next night Cena's completely blasse about the whole thing and it doesn't end matter in the end because he wins the belt 3 weeks later.

To me, it's just poor storytelling all round. When they did this with HBK/Taker II, it clicked on so many levels. Just like Rock/Cena II, HBK/Taker II was a feud that was revived on the Road to Wrestlemania after a year of it being a memory, but unlike Rock/Cena II, they made the story make sense. HBK left the WWE after his first loss to Taker, he only came back because Triple H needed his help against Legacy. HBK spent the rest of the time after that screwing around in DX until the Slammy Awards, where the fire to beat Taker was rekindled after being reminded that he failed to end the Streak that year. From there on out, HBK was determined and even obsessed with beating the Undertaker, going on a downward spiral that cost him the tag titles and strained his friendship with Triple H until ultimately getting the rematch he wanted, but with a price, his career on the line. HBK made it work because he sold the storyline, he blew a gasket when he was eliminated at the Royal Rumble and nearly tore his own hair out before KOing a ref. He got so mad that the opportunity to be in the Elimination Chamber was gone, he KOed Teddy Long and walked out of the company. To finally get to Undertaker and give him a reason to face him at Wrestlemania, he cost him the World title at the Elimination Chamber PPV, after exhausting every other option. Shawn Michaels really sold that the loss to the Undertaker bothered him more than anything else and above all, he NEEDED to get his rematch to prove himself, something that John Cena has failed to do. Maybe I could buy into this whole thing more even if factually, it isn't really that true that his year was that bad, if he bothered to express any emotion at all in the whole thing.

Archived