Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: EVERYONE is here!

God of Lightning

Yeah I was replying to both of you. He did make it sound like it was Melee's fault that Smash 4 players weren't giving their own game enough attention. The Smash 4/Brawl community is mostly separate from the Melee community, as they probably should be considering they're such different games. The only people that "downplayed Smash 4" from the start were the ones who never played the game and we're never apart of the community to even be in a position to effect it negatively. The game's community itself just needs to step up and take some responsibility for growing their own game, which is what Zeros entire rant was saying. It's not going to magically inherit Melee's success when it has so little in common with it.

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I was replying to both of you. He did make it sound like it was Melee's fault that Smash 4 players weren't giving their own game enough attention. The Smash 4/Brawl community is mostly separate from the Melee community, as they probably should be considering they're such different games. The only people that "downplayed Smash 4" from the start were the ones who never played the game and we're never apart of the community to even be in a position to effect it negatively. The game's community itself just needs to step up and take some responsibility for growing their own game, which is what Zeros entire rant was saying. It's not going to magically inherit Melee's success when it has so little in common with it.

No, but if you pay even remote attention to twitter and such you'll see a ton of people talking down about Smash4 instead of just leaving it be. I didn't even say Melee Fanboys, I said people in general are doing it and then stating that Melee is superior which in a directly related statement would hurt Sm4sh. Its all this in-community Smash 4 players talking about ruleset and such way too much instead of just confirming one and practicing that are hurting it long run. When the talent gap is that large, people stop trying and the lazy ones will claim because its not Melee instead of taking the blame for it themselves.

You didn't say Melee fanboys but he did. And I very rarely see anyone go out of their way to downplay Smash 4 anymore, there was some of it when it first came out but I haven't seen it in a while unless Smash 4 is explicitly brought up by someone else. And then it's mostly people saying Smash 4 just isn't for them or they don't find it entertaining, or at least anyone's whose voice actually matters. At this point there are just as many Smash 4 fans that talk shit about Melee and especially it's community as there are Melee fans who actively try to downplay Smash 4. And I'm not really sure what you mean by the last sentence.

I get how Smash became popular through Melee and how its competitive scene rose through it but blaming Melee is no excuse for Sm4sh players of why their scene isn't good. Step up, someone.

I'm curious to know, who does everybody main and play?

I main Little Mac, Zero Suit Samus, and Lucina.

Secondaries are Link, Shulk, Captain Falcon (Main in Melee)

Tertiaries are Duck Hunt, Dr. Mario, Megaman, Rosalina, Fox, Olimar

I pretty much only play Mario and Greninja when I do play Smash 4. Melee I main Falco and Falcon, and play Marth and Fox a lot as well. PM I main Ivy and still play my melee characters sometimes.

Edited by Grenade.

Mega Man is a hard character to learn, tbh. So is Duck Hunt, but once you figure them out, you can be very effective. Mega Man has a lot of tools with some downsides being some of his moves are laggy and leave him vulnerable after a whiff. He has a decent weight, too.

• 2 weeks later...

I play Captain Falcon pretty much solo in Sm4sh. Sometimes goof around with Olimar because I like him and no one plays him #LowTierGod

Melee: Cpt Falcon and Falco

Brawl: Cpt Falcon, Falco, Olimar

PM: Cpt Falcon, Falco, Olimar

Sm4sh: Cpt Falcon

I main Yoshi.

I second Jiggs & G&W currently. I can play a bit with Falcon, Pikachu, & Marth, but they're really my "For Fun" characters.

I'm really wanting to learn to play Link, but so far, its not going well. I refuse to play like the standard FG player does, which is probably why it isn't going well. I refuse to play a character just to stand there and shoot projectiles all day in a game of keep-away. That isn't fun.

You can play with good fighting game fundamentals without spamming projectiles. Projectiles actually kind of ruin usual neutral skills, and when you give a player that usually spams projectiles a character without any they won't know how to play the neutral at all. The less you rely on them the better, but you also have to realize they can give you an advantage. So you can use them without spamming or relying on them.

Good Link players who don't rely on projectiles are damned good in Sm4sh. They seriously will use like 2 or 3 bombs all match and those 2 or 3 will ALWAYS be perfectly timed to mess you up big time. Its a hassle. Spammers are easy because they don't know what to do if you grab them and start juggling. Usually Link's will Dair if you pop em up because they don't know better, roll, smash on the lag.

I got bodied by a good ass Link in a tourney I went to when I was using Lucina. I bodied his Villager then he hardly used projectiles as Link and I got *censored*ing wrecked. People really underestimate Link in this Smash, this is by far his best incarnation on Smash despite losing some tools. His buffs on Sm4sh outweigh that so much, though.

I just can't get used to Link. I watch other good players use Link, yet the concepts I see just aren't clicking when I play with him. I know I have to be doing something wrong, but I don't know what. When I play him, he just seems so slow and I can't find any good approach tools. His Nair is okay, but following up is a problem due to Link's slow ground attacks and the knockback from his Nair.

On a side note, I just found something... If you Up-B just before you fall off a ledge while running with Link, he'll do a really fast Up-B.

Maining Little Mac is the biggest struggle you will ever have.

I have counters to it in competitive, though. Lucina and ZSS.

Also, that mini Direct is strictly for Smash, isn't it?

DLC character announcements and patch fixes?

Probably new amiibo announcements too. I pray to god ZSS isn't hard to find in amiibo form OR exclusive. She's one of my must-haves.