Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: EVERYONE is here!

God of Lightning

I'm not upset that it's not Melee rereleased (although I wouldn't mind a Melee HD remake), and I didn't even say it was a bad thing that it was Brawl 2.0 (and I dislike Project M). I'll give it a chance when it comes out on WiiU, and it will probably be fun, but I don't expect it to be a competitive fighting game. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, it just means I won't spend all that much time practicing it.

It's also not really true to say no one gave Brawl a chance. Most of the pros at least temporarily played Brawl and realized they didn't like it. And that's not because they didn't develop it, it was just simply made to specifically not be competitive and it doesn't take long playing it to realize that.

I'm not saying they didn't play it, but they definitely went straight for "This isn't how I play melee, therefore its not competitive". The I can't wavedash argument is basically the biggest one because it effects speed and everything, but thats an exploit in the first place that wasn't even found until not too long ago. If people would have had the same standards when Melee came out, it would have been dead in the water about 3 years in. Can't compare mechanics that we found in a decade to a game that was given maybe 2 years to survive and compared heavily to a game everything thinks is GOAT. Melee is amazing, but people seriously just want melee 2.0 and thats it. I personally want a different game to take competitively beside melee so I have two similar yet different games.

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why wouldn't people (competitive commmunity) want another melee-like game instead of another brawl like game? And wave dashing was discovered within about a year of the game being released. Even in the Ken days the vast majority of pros wavedashed. Almost every tech that's widely used in melee now was discovered pretty early. There are some like shield dropping that are just now being heavily implemented, but it's been around forever.

Brawl isn't not fun competitively because it isn't melee, it's not fun competitively because it's not fun competitively. It's slow af with no real movement options, minimal combos, one SSSS tier character ditto in every tourney match, etc etc. Even if melee never existed Brawl wouldn't have developed into a competitive fighting game. I'd even argue that Melee's competitive status is the only reason people even tried to make it so. Brawl is a party game that it isn't absurd to believe was made to be anti-competitive (Sakurai himself said he didn't like wave dashing because it created too large of a skill gap). And that's fine, it has it's place. But from a purely competitive standpoint Brawl is not a good game fundamentally and no meta advancement could change that.

Edited by Grenade.

I dont have very much to say in the Melee/Brawl argument because I never owned a gamecube nor a wii, but recently ive been playing Brawl at a friends house and for the most part, I do not enjoy playing that. This is coming someone who plays almost any kind of fighting game I can get my hands on and become decent enough to play on the hardest difficulty, or try to. I was using the classic controller and it got to the point that I wanted to toss the controller to the floor and break it. I really didnt like it

First time ever playing a super smash game and i must say, it is really fun and easy to learn. My current favorites are link and megaman. Can't wait for the official release!

Wow, your first Smash Bros game? You've missed out. I'd recommend trying the others as well (at least Melee and Brawl). Personally, even with the new game here, I feel that Melee had the best gameplay. The problem lies in that it had a lacking roster. Brawl had a great roster, but its gameplay wasn't as great IMO. Sm4sh seems to have a nice balance in-between the two; it has great gameplay and a great roster.

This, go back and play Melee. You won't be sorry you did. Welcome to the Smash community though!

Side note: I'm saving my "Not as good as Melee" reactions for a few years down the road. Melee had about decade of Tech skill developing, most of which weren't found until the major competitive stuff shown in the documentary that made it that fun. Now people are judging a brand new game by comparing it to a game that really came into its own not even 4 years ago.

Yeah well i never owned nintendo consoles. Only had game boy advance and now a 3ds xl. But i'll be sure to try the older smash games whenever i get the chance. Thanks guys!

Broke down and preordered the 3DS version...even though I find the screen size and controls both to be rather limiting.

I see controls being a big con for a lot of people, but I never had an issue so far Demo wise other than wanting my L/R commands switched. What is the main gripe with the controls (other than the infuriating no C-Stick)?

I cancelled my pre-order when I saw it was going to be on the E-shop at midnight. I got off work at midnight, too. I've been playing it quite a bit. I just unlocked Mr. Game and Watch. I got Bowser Jr. already from beating Classic mode with Bowser at 6.0 intensity. My favorite/most frustrating thing is trying to get farther in the home run contest. :lol:

Just saw that my order is coming UPS rather than USPS. This kinda sucks, because the UPS guy usually doesn't come any earlier than like 3 or 4pm, whereas, the regular USPS mail can sometimes arrive by noon or 1pm. Meh...

Same. Day 1 shipping from Amazon?

The suspense is killing me. Must play.

Yep. I always go with Amazon.

Just saw that my order is coming UPS rather than USPS. This kinda sucks, because the UPS guy usually doesn't come any earlier than like 3 or 4pm, whereas, the regular USPS mail can sometimes arrive by noon or 1pm. Meh...

Same. Day 1 shipping from Amazon?

The suspense is killing me. Must play.

Yep. I always go with Amazon.

I as well.

Still haven't gotten mine. *Begins hyperventilating*

Dropping the Fire Hydrant on unsuspecting people online is the greatest thing ever haha. After watching people on twitch/youtube use Pac-Man I didnt think id like him at all. He's easily the funnest to use, for me atleast.

Edited by Ghost.

Dropping the Fire Hydrant on unsuspecting people online is the greatest thing ever haha. After watching people on twitch/youtube use Pac-Man I didnt think id like him at all. He's easily the funnest to use, for me atleast.

Him and Duck Hunt Duo were great simply for their unique movesets. They did a really good job making them different.

Getting the game in about a half hour, streaming with a buddy for about 24 hours on Twitch and running sets