Game Of Thrones (No Book Spoilers)

TheHavoc

I seriously need a lot of catching up to do with this show. I started binge-watching Game of Thrones on HBO Go last Fall and ended up stopping mid-way through Season 2. I don't want to, but I'm sure I'd be best if I re-watched the previous episodes before going any further so everything will be fresh in my mind.

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Daenerys is clearly not able to lead and rule the way she thought she was. With her dragon's she got this far based off fear, especially when she finally had gotten to Mehreen. The people there don't respect her, they don't find her strong enough and she pissed off the slave masters, which was the right thing, *Censored* those assholes. But then she pisses off the former slaves by killing the individual responsible for the Unsullied murders. I never read the books and I don't know how that situation is going to end but I hope Tyrion does end up becoming her Kings (Queens) hand. And Jon Snow the character has really grown on me. Glad to see him elected to the head of the Night's Watch.

Danaery's doesn't rule too different from anyone else. It's her way or you're *censored*ed, the problem is she doesn't have the connections to houses like the leaders in Westeros. She also has the problem that half the people she rules aren't used to being controlled unlike just about everyone in Westeros.

She does though, in a way. Her character in itself is the essentially "the good ruler", since she became Queen the last season, everything she's done has in some way backfired. When she's needs to be stern, she's soft and understanding, when she need's to be soft & understanding, she's stern. She's trying to implement her own form of "right" & "wrong" amongst the people, and it just hasn't worked. Jorah was basically aiding her on how to be a suitable ruler, she thought she could do it all by herself, and once she canned Jorah, everything began to go downhill.

I hate the storyline of Stannis offering Jon Winterfell. Didn't like it in the books and don't like it on the show. The price for leaving the Nights Watch is execution. Stannis has no jurisdiction over them (despite being stationed there atm and the Black Brothers having to show him certain courtesies) and would have to do his own duty as a liege lord and as a King and behead Jon. He can make him a Stark, but he cannot give him Winterfell. The book is guilty of this as well, but they really downplay the fact that Jon simply cannot leave and it bugs me.

You could argue that Ser Barristan was kicked out of the Kingsguard even though that wasn't a regulated rule and that it's the same deal with The Watch, but Joffery has the jurisdiction to change the Kingsguard rule as he (at the time) directly controlled them. Just a small gripe of mine about that particular storyline. I know the purpose of it was to conflict Jon, but it really wasn't a well thought out one.

I hate the storyline of Stannis offering Jon Winterfell. Didn't like it in the books and don't like it on the show. The price for leaving the Nights Watch is execution. Stannis has no jurisdiction over them (despite being stationed there atm and the Black Brothers having to show him certain courtesies) and would have to do his own duty as a liege lord and as a King and behead Jon. He can make him a Stark, but he cannot give him Winterfell. The book is guilty of this as well, but they really downplay the fact that Jon simply cannot leave and it bugs me.

You could argue that Ser Barristan was kicked out of the Kingsguard even though that wasn't a regulated rule and that it's the same deal with The Watch, but Joffery has the jurisdiction to change the Kingsguard rule as he (at the time) directly controlled them. Just a small gripe of mine about that particular storyline. I know the purpose of it was to conflict Jon, but it really wasn't a well thought out one.

Couldn't the Watch grant him a release or something if agreed on by every commander or something? Or rather - If they are sympathetic could they not simply decide to not act on their right to execute him? I imagine that if the king and the whole Nights Watch is ethically okay with it, the rules aren't THAT big of a problem.

Couldn't the Watch grant him a release or something if agreed on by every commander or something? Or rather - If they are sympathetic could they not simply decide to not act on their right to execute him? I imagine that if the king and the whole Nights Watch is ethically okay with it, the rules aren't THAT big of a problem.

I don't think so, no. If The Lord Commander and the other officers of the Nights Watch could change the rules so easily then that would've happened a thousand years ago. The rule of serving for life is unchangable. That particular story really had no logical end game.

Well,

Isnt Jon the leader of the Watch now?

Yes he is. So yeah it doesn't really matter in the end, but I was just questioning the reasoning behind that small story in the first place.

Well,

Yes he is. So yeah it doesn't really matter in the end, but I was just questioning the reasoning behind that small story in the first place.

Well from Stanis' perspective it makes a ton of sense strategically to offer him. The only reason he went North to begin with instead just marching straight to Kings Landing was to defend the Wall from the Wildlings to gain the favor of the North so they would follow him. And if he can just give Jon Winterfell in exchange for his and their loyalty that just makes everything a ton easier for him. It really doesn't make that much sense for Jon but from Stanis' pov it makes perfect sense.

Well,

Well from Stanis' perspective it makes a ton of sense strategically to offer him. The only reason he went North to begin with instead just marching straight to Kings Landing was to defend the Wall from the Wildlings to gain the favor of the North so they would follow him. And if he can just give Jon Winterfell in exchange for his and their loyalty that just makes everything a ton easier for him. It really doesn't make that much sense for Jon but from Stanis' pov it makes perfect sense.

Yeah I totally agree with you, it's just that Jon simply cannot leave and it doesn't seem like Stannis realises that.

I'm glad Sophie Turner has addressed her annoying voice. But I find it a bit weird she's hanging out in public places like an inn and everybody seems to know her real identity. Doesn't seem like something LF would do at all.

I highly doubt either Petyr, Sansa or any of his retinue know the terrain so travelling the main roads (not sure which road yet as we don't know where they're going) is their best bet. As for her real identity, thats also odd, but so far as we know he doesn't address her by her real name in front of strangers. So far he's only called her Sansa to those they know.

Which is stupid and doesn't help his cause to become king. People will see that and assume Stannis doesn't care about the laws of the realm. Again, it doesn't make sense.

The show's made a big deal about how the North will only accept a Stark, so it does make sense for Stannis to try and get any Stark possible on his side, it's the same as what everyone else is or was trying to do. Plus Stannis is already going round burning effigies of everyone else's Gods, he's obviously past caring what the people think. He's also in a desperate situation in that he doesn't have the man power to really launch another attack. I think it does make sense that he's getting kind of desperate, he was basically willing to give up the North to Jon, something I don't think he was prepared to do for Robb.

People only really seem to care about vows and laws of the realm when it suits them. Isn't one of the biggest ones that you can't attack someone after they've ate under you're roof? Yet no one seems to give a shit about what the Frey's did.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the episode last night... it's actually hilarious how weak the Lannisters are now.

I haven't read the spoilers for after this episode so I don't know how it turns out, but I'ma be pissed if Ser Barristan and Worm are dead. Oh, and I hate the Sons Of The Harpy

I love what they've done to the Sons of The Harpy in the show. Giving then masks is a nod to the Brazen Beasts that aren't in the show. The masks look freaky as *Censored*!

This episode was a huge deviation from the books, but it was an incredible episode so you'll hear no complaints from me.

• 3 weeks later...

Episode 7 was really good.

• Reek is an absolute *censored*. Pretty dumb of Sansa to have trusted him anyway, but you know... Oh, and I really digged her look last night in that scene. Lawd!
  • Cersei is doing it all wrong. Part of what made the Lannisters so powerful was that they'd do what was best for the family and work with their allies for the sake of the house, even if they didn't like it. Tywin knew that. Cersei has spent so long trying to be clever about overruling Margaery and her family, that she didn't even see those other guys coming. Wish those guys would just *Censored* off though. Tommen being a little bitch hasn't helped. Joffrey/Tywin/Jaime would never have stood for this.
  • Interested to see what goes on with Tyrion, Jorah and Daenerys.
  • Sand Snakes are lameeeeee. Wish they'd have killed Bronn though.

Sand Snakes have been presented very poorly in the show. They're supposed to be like 8 entirely different characters united under their fathers death yet now there is only three of them with little to no distinguishable features.

Why has Myrcella been in Dorne for "years" and has grown up yet Gilly's baby is still a baby? Both were introduced in season 2.

Great episode, but the small things are nagging me.

Once again, George R.R. Martin will not be contributing a script to the next season of "Game of Thrones." Instead he will focus on his novel, "The Winds of Winter," which he hopes to finish before the sixth season of the series debuts on HBO next year. He's also pulling back on media appearances, and will skip San Diego's Comic-Con in July.

Though he did pen episodes for the first four seasons, Martin did not provide a script for season five, currently in mid-swing, either. He told Entertainment Weekly: “Maybe I’m being overly optimistic about how quickly I can finish ... But I canceled two convention appearances, I’m turning down a lot more interviews—anything I can do to clear my decks and get this done.”

Good or bad news for fans? Fellow scriptwriters David Benioff, DB Weiss and Bryan Cogman will have to carry the torch without him.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/george-rr-martin-bows-out-of-game-of-thrones-season-6-20150529?utm_campaign=Indiewire&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=1432922140

Not necessarily a bad thing. Weiss, Cogman and Benioff will be just fine without him, thus the show will be fine without Martin.

Archived