The use of the 'N' word

The Rosh

I've been on this site for a while now, and there's one thing that's really p*ssing me off; people using the racist term beginning with N.

In threads, we can all see replies such as; 'that's my n*gguh' 'my n*gguh booker t'

No matter how you write the word, it's one of the most offensive words which can be said, joking or not. I am not of Afro-Caribbean descent myself, but there are people who would be offended by these posts but are too afraid to say anything in case they get hounded on. There are youngsters on this forum who can easily pick up what they see here and use it their everyday lives. Don't tell me about the so called 'minimum age', anyone can tick a box, and don't tell me 'if they sign up then they should understand how a forum works'. No, this term is racist. When non-users look at the forums, how does it look when the thread is full of crap like this? How does that make the forum look?

For anyone who's wondering, this is not a joke. This is me making a stand against offensive and abusive language on this forum, and hoping Mods/whoever can monitor this more closely. IMO warnings and further action should be taken against any poster using racist terms.

Thank you.

This topic has come up quite a lot. If we(the moderators) feel it is being used in a racist way then we will take according action. To me it seems that people use it in a non-derogatory way.

Before it happens though - I'll ask nicely for people not to spam this topic.

To me it seems that people use it in a non-derogatory way.

People use it because they can, it's in pretty much every other post and that's what's annoying about it.

I can't really form much of an opinion on the matter because I'm not from a place where there is a racist stigma attached to the word. I'll leave this for a higher-up mod to decide what to do about it. Chances are it won't be censored though.

Personally, like Lumpy & God stated, I think the best bet would be those who somehow find it offensive just ignore the members who tend to use it. It's not like you enjoy seeing us type anyway if that one word bothers you so much.

I understand that it offends you and that's fine as many people in the world don't like it at all in any context, but if it helps, I'm sure pretty much everyone who uses it on here does so as a term of endearment and a light-hearted joke :cool: I'm sure if anyone thought it was used in a derogatory way, the mods would sort it out.

I've been on this site for a while now, and there's one thing that's really p*ssing me off; people using the racist term beginning with N.

In threads, we can all see replies such as; 'that's my n*gguh' 'my n*gguh booker t'

No matter how you write the word, it's one of the most offensive words which can be said, joking or not. I am not of Afro-Caribbean descent myself, but there are people who would be offended by these posts but are too afraid to say anything in case they get hounded on. There are youngsters on this forum who can easily pick up what they see here and use it their everyday lives. Don't tell me about the so called 'minimum age', anyone can tick a box, and don't tell me 'if they sign up then they should understand how a forum works'. No, this term is racist. When non-users look at the forums, how does it look when the thread is full of crap like this? How does that make the forum look?

For anyone who's wondering, this is not a joke. This is me making a stand against offensive and abusive language on this forum, and hoping Mods/whoever can monitor this more closely. IMO warnings and further action should be taken against any poster using racist terms.

Thank you.

Sorry man you probably won't get it. And I'm actually quite annoyed with people telling you to use the ignore function. If you did that you might as well not even come here because you'd have to ignore about 50% of users. Their basically a bunch of thugs(apparently even some of the mods, seeing as status use to be one), and most of them aren't even legally old enough to drink. So don't expect any form of mature moderating because you've got basically got children leading younger children here.

I'd say either uncensor the '-a' or censor '-uh' as well, since both are basically the same thing. Just seems stupid to allow one but censor the other when the ONLY difference is how it ends, no matter what people say.

Ignoring is also a stupid suggestion, considering there could be some decent posts that still use "*Censored*."

I feel its become more of a slang term than racist around here nowadays. The immortal moment that Booker T used it to call Hulk Hogan a name has built the word into simply a slang joke. I've seen quite a few people around here call others "the N bomb" as a joke to stress a point.

Lets say that someone is using it in its origin meaning against another. No, it doesn't look nice, but its not the end of the world. Its just a name someone called you among others. If you are hurt by a name someone calls you over the internet, you need to rethink your approach to it, or get off of the internet. You're going to find it wherever you go, unless you go somewhere like the "Animal Crossing Community", which has a more "communistic" rule basis.

If someone uses the word in a way that breaks the rules, they'll get their punishment. Otherwise, you shouldn't get offended by something someone says online.

Why not form the solution based on the context? If someone has used in spite then report it and have it delt with, if it is used as a joke then I think I don't think you should complain because this IS the internet, I think this time you should just get over it

Archived