Unpopular Movie Opinions

JGPLX.

Fight Club... It's good and all, but seriously over-rated.

And 94 kicked 98's ass.

Pulp Fiction

The Shawshank Redemption

Forrest Gump

Speed

The Lion King

True Lies

Dumb and Dumber

The Mask

Four weddings and funeral.

The Crow

Natural Born Killers.

We are going to have to agree to disagree bud.

Lets put Fight Club aside for a minute since that was 99 anyways.

'94 does have some great movies though. But '94 is a little top heavy with the first 3 films on your list. I think '98 has much, much more depth.

Pulp Fiction, Shawshank and Gump are all great, possibly more so than anything on my '98 list, I will gladly admit that much. I can't argue with those 3 films becaue I don't want to argue against them, all 3 of them are excellent. Though I would personally put Lebowski, Saving Private Ryan and Fear and Loathing up there with those films. I don't know how universal that opinion of mine may be though.

Lion King, everyone loves Lion King, no denying that. Same goes for Dumb and Dumber, but I dunno about the Mask as much.

I love the Crow too personally, but again I don't know how universal that sentiment is. It has a great following though.

Natural Born Killers is very, very, very overrated.

Speed sucked. That movie was poorly acted, high concept garbage.

I'm not even gonna start on True Lies... too easy of a target.

Never heard of 4 weddings and a funeral.

And I have a lot more movies on that '98 list too. I might have a few debatable ones too, but like I said I still feel '98 had more depth.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How the hell did Speed suck!? It was a great action movie. True Lies was good too. Ludicrous you called Armageddon decent but thought the other 2 sucked.

Well on IMDB Shawshank is 1st, Pulp Fiction is 4th and Forrest Gump is 18th... while Saving Private Ryan is 37th, Lebowski is 131st on the list. Fear and Loathing isn't even on the list.

In my honest opinion as well Pulp Fiction was the best movie out of them named.

The 90's were the best imo. Good Will Hunting, Rounders, Fight Club, American History X, Shawshank Redemption, Forrest Gump, The Big Lebowski etc.. etc... I still consider Cast Away, Gladiator and Erin Brockovich a part of the that era even though they came out in 2000. I don't care how stupid that sounds.

Oh shit and Saving Pvt Ryan and Pulp Fiction Oooo and Resevior Dogs.

I don't know how American Beauty is hardly mentioned as one of the best in the 90s.

Yes, another great one. There's far too many, too hard to remember them all, lol.

And Se7en and Boyz n' the hood.

Here's pretty unpopular opinions; Secret Window, Eyes Wide Shut, The Ninth Gate & Butterfly effect, imo were great.

Yes. Its premise is fairly interesting, but its execution is mediocre, at best.

Oh, and on the subject of overrated '90s movies, The Boondock Saints is criminally overrated. Not by critics, but by the general public. Like, I actually get mad when I here people speak positively of it.

We look at the past of films so fondly, because ONLY the gems have stood the test of time. The 80s and 90s had a ton of schlock in addition to quality films. It's just that nobody is reminding you about them or talking about them so you just sort of forget they exist.

Yes. Its premise is fairly interesting, but its execution is mediocre, at best.

Oh, and on the subject of overrated '90s movies, The Boondock Saints is criminally overrated. Not by critics, but by the general public. Like, I actually get mad when I here people speak positively of it.

You know what...I honestly must reluctantly agree with that... to a point. I don't get md when people speak positively of it because I think it is a good film. However, some fans take it too far. Some Boondock fans are like some Radiohead fans. I'm a Radiohead fan myself, but when people start talking about them being better and more important than Pink Floyd or Genesis or King Crimson or whomever, I'm just like hold up... now you're overrating them and it's getting old.

How the hell did Speed suck!? It was a great action movie. True Lies was good too. Ludicrous you called Armageddon decent but thought the other 2 sucked.

Well on IMDB Shawshank is 1st, Pulp Fiction is 4th and Forrest Gump is 18th... while Saving Private Ryan is 37th, Lebowski is 131st on the list. Fear and Loathing isn't even on the list.

In my honest opinion as well Pulp Fiction was the best movie out of them named.

Shawshank is #1 for a reason.

Honestly, Pulp is slightly overrated too. Don't get me wrong, it's a legendary film. Much better than like Boondock Saints or something. But #4 all time on IMDB is a stretch. I thought Res Dogs was better than it.

Lebowski is an underrated film with a cult following, it's lucky it is 131st on IMDB, because not nearly as many people saw it as most of the movies ranked ahead of it. But just because less people saw that movie, doesn't make it a lesser movie.

Someone told me I look like a young Jeremy Renner once and it hurt my fuggin' feelings, man. It baffles me that he's even famous.

Speaking of, the Hurt Locker should have NEVER won best picture. That was the weakest best picture winner in a long time. Kathyleen Bigalow doesn't fully understand the experience from a soldier's perspective, and while I wouldn't normally hold that against someone... so many critics think she nailed everything about the psychology of modern war and that sort of bothers me.

I swear the Academy probably awarded the Oscar to her movie, just to slight James Cameron (her former husband). I don't know why the industry always seems to have it out for Jim though, his movies set milestones for profit!

Shawshank is #1 for a reason.

Honestly, Pulp is slightly overrated too. Don't get me wrong, it's a legendary film. Much better than like Boondock Saints or something. But #4 all time on IMDB is a stretch. I thought Res Dogs was better than it.

Lebowski is an underrated film with a cult following, it's lucky it is 131st on IMDB, because not nearly as many people saw it as most of the movies ranked ahead of it. But just because less people saw that movie, doesn't make it a lesser movie.

I refuse to carry on discussing this further. There's no chance I'm going to agree with anything you said once you said Pulp Fiction was over-rated. Pulp Fiction in my opinion still to this day has the greatest screenplay and to this day nothing really comes close. Reservoir Dogs was a much more simple movie and the plot was pretty much taken off the Japanese movie, City on Fire. Pulp Fiction was also a much more dynamic movie with everything locking into place. I don't know how true the whole bible theory is about Pulp Fiction but I chose to believe it just like I did for the Matrix until i saw 2 and 3. I only think it's true because I saw a Tarantino interview talking about how he loved Matrix and believed in that theory as well until the 2nd and 3rd came out.

Shawshank is like a movie that people have heard is good and so they just agree. Honestly don't think it's anything special.

Or they actually LIKE IT?!

I agree with JxE here. I think it's because they actually like it.

And Chips, a movie can be both great and overrated a little bit too. That's how I've alwasy felt about Pulp Fiction. Res Dogs is more straightforward, but it makes more sense too. I like Tarrentino, but he's an overrated director as a whole... that doesn't mean he sucks... in fact he's very, very good at what he does. But people worship him too much just because he breaks typical story conventions.

Shawshank is like a movie that people have heard is good and so they just agree. Honestly don't think it's anything special.

Shawshank is only top because the whole fiasco with Godfaster and The Dark Knight fued with fans.

And Chips, a movie can be both great and overrated a little bit too. That's how I've alwasy felt about Pulp Fiction. Res Dogs is more straightforward, but it makes more sense too. I like Tarrentino, but he's an overrated director as a whole... that doesn't mean he sucks... in fact he's very, very good at what he does. But people worship him too much just because he breaks typical story conventions.

its not over-rated though, who are you to just decode weather it's over-rated? I could understand if you just said imo Pulp Fiction is over-rated but your acting as if its a fact and it isn't. Pulp Fiction overall just has more to it than Shawshank Redemption. Just wondering out of the people who said Shawshank was so great, who's seen Pulp Fiction?

Ok so what makes Shawshank Redemption a better movie, it didn't particularly do anything but present a story well.

What surprises me about Shawshank is its popularity. I mean, how did it become such a popular film? Is it because it's on basic cable all the time?

Well it's on over here on one of the free channels all the time, so yeah maybe.

Archived