Unpopular Movie Opinions

JGPLX.

That's actually the business I own in my town. I've worked here for so long the previous owner gave me a really good deal a couple years ago and the rest is history. Like any small business it's hard to stay afloat when your still paying off a loan but this video store has been a staple here for a long time. Two things help this place the most. I'm the only one around for miles so I pull in some business from other surrounding towns, plus the internet is shit outside of town so while most can still use Netflix, it's hard for them to do too much plus I get movies the day they come out. So it works for me here which is nice. They would definitely suffer more in big cities unless you did something else with it. There is a cool store in Boston supposedly that added a coffee shop with theirs to help.

Selection is everything too. I have thousands of old movies which are a big hit even though I don't make a ton off of them. We sell our extra pre-owned dvd copies as well. I'm going to have to add an internet store or something to sell stock faster if needed and maybe add a few other things but I can see this place hanging around for quite a while still. People are coming back to places like these for not only nostalgia but the customer service experience. We have more benefits than a Redbox but the bastards don't have overhead so it's hard for most places to compete.

If you have what people want depending on your area, then there really isn't a reason they can't survive and even flourish in this day and age. You just have to evolve with times or change things up a bit. Which is a difficult task I won't lie.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think if you had enough money to start your own rental store and support it even though it'll likely lose money then just maybe you could get it to a point where it's self sufficient and then just possibly even profitable. Similar to retro record stores today. From 16-22 I worked in a local record store and my boss Paul had owned it since the 90's, but it wasn't Paul's only business and he made a shit ton of money in his other endeavours. That's why Reflex was allowed to stay open, because he could support it no matter what.

However, if you start one from scratch and don't have enough to money to keep it afloat you'll certainly lose it. In a similar manner corporate companies and people who own chain stores wont bother with them because when they begin to lose money they close up and sell the building/land/whatever to the highest bidder. All it would take is one of these companies to stick out the money loss for a while and they might be able to turn a profit, but yeah again, most companies don't want the loss of money in their books so they sell up at the slightest downfall.

So that might be the answer you're looking for Gen. At least, that's all I can come up with.

Gamestop, Wal-Mart, and various other stores also sell either used copies or cheap copies....

Point being what? How does that stop a video rental store from succeeding? It's not mutually exclusive. They don't automatically fail to sell anything just because other places sell used copies of movies as well. That's like saying "How could a farmer's market ever succeed? There are grocery stores, goddammit!"

Not really. At least a farmer's market has something that separates it from grocery stores. what would video rental stores have? At least there are plenty of people into records to want to own it.

Gamestop, Wal-Mart, and various other stores also sell either used copies or cheap copies....

Point being what? How does that stop a video rental store from succeeding? It's not mutually exclusive. They don't automatically fail to sell anything just because other places sell used copies of movies as well. That's like saying "How could a farmer's market ever succeed? There are grocery stores, goddammit!"

Not really. At least a farmer's market has something that separates it from grocery stores. what would video rental stores have? At least there are plenty of people into records to want to own it.

What? How?

You tryn'a tell me my ass can't by corn and peaches in a grocery store? Literally the only draw to a farmer's market is the atmosphere, and the fact that you're supporting local. Two things that also describe a small video store. I mean...come on, man. What the hell was that comment even supposed to be?

You can buy blurays at rental stores as well. And before you try and argue that you also can at Walmart or Best Buy, you don't get the same selection. The closest alternative is Amazon. But the video rental places in Toronto offer better prices than Amazon sometimes...

...so stop with this silly nonsensical argument buddy.

What? How?

You tryn'a tell me my ass can't by corn and peaches in a grocery store? Literally the only draw to a farmer's market is the atmosphere, and the fact that you're supporting local. Two things that also describe a small video store. I mean...come on, man. What the hell was that comment even supposed to be?

From what I've seen, cheaper and fresher shit. as well.

You can buy blurays at rental stores as well. And before you try and argue that you also can at Walmart or Best Buy, you don't get the same selection. The closest alternative is Amazon. But the video rental places in Toronto offer better prices than Amazon sometimes...

...so stop with this silly nonsensical argument buddy.

There are far more "silly nonsensical" arguments, and this is the one that you have an issue with? :lol:

And how many people go into the shops to buy Blu-Rays? I mean, if I could afford it, and if we still had video rental shops, I'd actually buy DVDs and Blu-Rays. However, is that even enough to keep the rental shop running?

The compression on streaming video is pretty atrocious. If you want the best picture quality Blu-ray is the only way to go. There's also the fact that physical formats (like Blu-ray) typically contain supplement materials (commentaries, making ofs, video essays, booklets, etc). That's practically nonexistent in the world of video streaming; I believe the only streaming service that offers extras is Filmstruck and it's a limited amount.

With that being said, I can't say I understand the appeal of video rental stores when there are networks of libraries that share their collections amongst each other either for free or for a small price. Maybe there's a certain atmosphere that some people find appealing at these places that you can't get at a library. But if you give me the option of a wider selection of movies and the ability to rent for free, I think I know what place I'm choosing...

The compression on streaming video is pretty atrocious. If you want the best picture quality Blu-ray is the only way to go. There's also the fact that physical formats (like Blu-ray) typically contain supplement materials (commentaries, making ofs, video essays, booklets, etc). That's practically nonexistent in the world of video streaming; I believe the only streaming service that offers extras is Filmstruck and it's a limited amount.

With that being said, I can't say I understand the appeal of video rental stores when there are networks of libraries that share their collections amongst each other either for free or for a small price. Maybe there's a certain atmosphere that some people find appealing at these places that you can't get at a library. But if you give me the option of a wider selection of movies and the ability to rent for free, I think I know what place I'm choosing...

Well it really depends on what movies you're talking about? Foreign, indie, or are you talking about older AAA movies too? I guess it also depends on where you live because I blow our "network" of libraries' movie selections out of the water. Not just in variety but in number.

The free thing definitely sounds appealing but rates of rentals are not bad and you have to think, since the difference between a library and a business is mostly fees and libraries focus more on books, stores can offer a better selection because they charge, so essentially you're paying for a better service and it's not as outrageous as some streaming or satellite rentals. How can you expand selection if you don't have money? How can replacements be afforded if there is no fee? And like I said they focus on books mostly. At least our libraries here do. Stores focus on movies. Also it's not their property, it's mine and how I make my living so I couldn't imagine loaning out movies to someone when they usually can't take care of their own stuff. Libraries have the advantage because people just donate them. So once they are gone, they're just gone.

If you aren't a movie buff or avid renter and are perfectly content with what they offer and don't want to pay, I can understand. But there is still a market for video stores and I find people more and more that miss the ones that close in their towns. I even get visitors from St. Louis that come in with their families that lives here locally that not only like my old movie selections, they like that I'm still around. They can't believe I'm still here either, lol. But they love it. There isn't many options for them. Family video is actually still around and growing. It's the biggest company left.

Well it really depends on what movies you're talking about? Foreign, indie, or are you talking about older AAA movies too? I guess it also depends on where you live because I blow our "network" of libraries' movie selections out of the water. Not just in variety but in number.

The free thing definitely sounds appealing but rates of rentals are not bad and you have to think, since the difference between a library and a business is mostly fees and libraries focus more on books, stores can offer a better selection because they charge, so essentially you're paying for a better service and it's not as outrageous as some streaming or satellite rentals. How can you expand selection if you don't have money? How can replacements be afforded if there is no fee? And like I said they focus on books mostly. At least our libraries here do. Stores focus on movies. Also it's not their property, it's mine and how I make my living so I couldn't imagine loaning out movies to someone when they usually can't take care of their own stuff. Libraries have the advantage because people just donate them. So once they are gone, they're just gone.

If you aren't a movie buff or avid renter and are perfectly content with what they offer and don't want to pay, I can understand. But there is still a market for video stores and I find people more and more that miss the ones that close in their towns. I even get visitors from St. Louis that come in with their families that lives here locally that not only like my old movie selections, they like that I'm still around. They can't believe I'm still here either, lol. But they love it. There isn't many options for them. Family video is actually still around and growing. It's the biggest company left.

What movies am I talking about? All the above. My library district carries a wide array of titles. Foreign, indie, new, old -- whatever category or genre, there's a chance my library has you cover. Coming from me, that's saying something. I don't see you post around here, so in case you weren't aware, my taste in movies leans heavily to the obscure and old. Tell me, does your store carry Zigeunerweisen? Lunacy? Gaumont Treasures 1897 - 1913? Three Crowns of the Sailor? How about: Secrets of a Soul, The Ghost Breakers, Performance? My library district does. Every single one of those titles they have. Can you say the same? I doubt it. And if you say otherwise, I won't believe you. Why? Because you're a single shop. One video rental shop cannot carry the amount and variety of a network of 78 libraries. It doesn't sound possible.

I do agree with you about how it depends on location. Fortunately, I'm located in the Chicagoland area. If I lived somewhere else that's less populated and further away from a big city, my chances of finding stuff I want would vastly decrease. So I understand the privilege I have. But the same applies to your shop. Not every town, city, or region has a video store, let alone a video store that apparently carries niche titles. So indeed, it depends on location. And where I live, I'm betting that my library district will have me cover more times than the video rental stores around my area.

As you said, libraries receive donations (although, I'm unsure if my district accepts them). But most often they buy titles themselves from the money they receive from fines, grants, taxpayers, fundraisers, and kind philanthropists. So this whole "once they're gone, they're gone" is nonsense unless it's a rare-OOP title, which would be a problem for anyone in that position. If an item is lost, it would be replaced.

Blu Ray's may have the best picture quality but HD and even some standard digital film versions are near as great. Especially ones you download to rent or own instead of streaming

As for extras, Google Play Store and Microsoft Store offers exclusive or the biggest behind the scenes features from Blu Ray's/dvd's

They are also cheaper than discs and usually come out weeks before disc versions.

I'm not trying to start a digital vs disc debate but simply saying that digital is not a bad deal or route to take. If digital was vhs quality, yeah that would be atrocious but it's not anywhere bad.

HD Skull Island(last film I bought)looks amazing on my tv and sounds like it did at the movie theater or better with my sound system

Libraries are great, but it really depends on your personal library. I have a great one, right down the street. But some areas have very mediocre, or even downright bad libraries. And a library still doesn't FEEL like a video rental store; I think the atmosphere of a video store is still what made them special. The smell, even. No store (to this day) smells like plastic, ink, popcorn, and candy...in the same way that a video rental store did.

Libraries are great, but it really depends on your personal library. I have a great one, right down the street. But some areas have very mediocre, or even downright bad libraries. And a library still doesn't FEEL like a video rental store; I think the atmosphere of a video store is still what made them special. The smell, even. No store (to this day) smells like plastic, ink, popcorn, and candy...in the same way that a video rental store did.

If you're ever in Toronto, check out the place I keep mentioning (Bay Street video). Even has the candy lol.

Getting best picture quality is so overrated, tbh. But then again, I seem to be one of those few who prefer to see movies as they were originally shown, none of that remastered beeswax.

Also, what kind of deals? Netflix is a giant at this point, while Blockbuster is an afterthought. They'd have to start churning out quality shit, Can't imagine them bouncing back from Netflix and Redbox.

Getting best picture quality is so overrated, tbh. But then again, I seem to be one of those few who prefer to see movies as they were originally shown, none of that remastered beeswax.

That's just a bunch of crap, tbh. I mean...there is nostalgia in watching a film on vhs with the tracking going haywire...or, on reel to reel...or, whatever. But, When you can take the original piece of film...and watch it as clearly as it was intended to be seen when it was developed...that's how those movies are supposed to be seen. If a film was literally recorded in crystal clear definition (onto actual film)...then that's how you're supposed to watch it. Getting hung up on an outdated form of media is silly. That wasn't the intention of the people who made those films...that's just what they were limited to...

Doesn't matter, there's no need to remaster everything or at least, not offer the original version as well. And I"m not talking about VHS or whatnot, just how the movies look. Dunno how to describe it, but I'd rather watch a silent film as how it was shown over a crystal-clear, remastered version. As long as I can still see what's going on, of course.

When I mentioned Blockbuster and other rental stores, I didn't meant making a comeback now. I meant before they filed for bankruptcy, there must have been something they could have than just quit and close shop

Unfortunately, that's what chains do.

If it was a small business, they would fight for it...because, that's their livelihood. But, when it comes to a chain, they want to pull as much money out as possible and cut the losses. Hell...chains close even when they're making profit. Sometimes they just decide that they aren't making "enough" profit. It's annoying as shit, tbh...but, that's the world now.

Archived